WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Help With Trail Runners

Hi:

I need help finding a pair of trail runners. I currently have La Sportiva Wildcats and, while these are great shoes, they are too narrow for my feet. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated concerning similar shoes with a wider fit. I generally section hike typically hiking around 10 miles a day with a load of 25-30 lbs.

Thanks all.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

If you can, find a local running store that "fits" runners. They will take a look at your feet, your stride, etc... and find a great fitting shoe for you.

That being said, New Balance tend to fit a lot of my trail running friends who have wide feet pretty well.

I have wider feet, but narrower heels. Soloman Mission XR has been a phenomenal shoe for me - little break in/ no blisters for a 110 mile A.T. section last year!

Hard to get the opinion of others who have different foot parameters. Best option is to find a store like Runners World or New Balance that has some technology to help assess your feet, stride, and footfall impacts as a front end solution. Back end solution is to literally try on every shoe that comes close to your size to find the right one. There is only one "best shoe", which is the one that fits you.

Journal Entries

La sportiva is too narrow for everyones feet, which is why you size up extra half size in them.

Seriously order from either Zappos or running Warehouse. Both have free shipping and free return shipping. Try as many as you can to find the shoes that you like best.

I too find shoes usually too narrow. I love my Altra Superior 2.0

Going to try out their new Lone Peak 2.5, they are supposed to be more durable for long trips.

Journal Entries

I believe in Altra, wide toe box and zero drop.

Garlic
    Images

Ditto New Balance widths--several options. But some say my favorite shoes feel like the box they came in.

If your hiking with a 25-30 pound load, I'd think you'd want something a bit more sturdy then a trail running shoe. But I'm old school.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by mortonjl View Post
    I believe in Altra, wide toe box and zero drop.
    I recently bought these, and they are great for me. Could be awful for the OP. Or not.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    If your hiking with a 25-30 pound load, I'd think you'd want something a bit more sturdy then a trail running shoe. But I'm old school.
    I broke down a few years ago and made the switch. New Balance 610 with green Superfeet worked for me. They have the disadvantage that after 4-500 miles they're totally shot. Still, they're cheap enough that I can buy a couple or three pair for the price of a pair of sturdier shoes. I do need the Superfeet, the insoles on the New Balance are worthless. The shoes fit me well enough that it's worth it to me. Life is full of tradeoffs.

I still go back to the big heavy boots in shoulder season, when I might need to put on spikes. (And of course, I go to even bigger and heavier boots for full-on winter, because snowshoe and crampon bindings need a stiff boot.)

I find that as long as I've waxed my feet (I use Gurney Goo, since Hydropel isn't being made any more), I'm ok with wet feet in warm weather.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I recently bought Altra Lone Peaks 2.5 and tested them out on some shorter distance hikes. They are AWESOME. Super comfortable, super lightweight, but also supportive. I got them pretty wet and they dry out quickly. I also have a wider foot, and the wide toe-box is accommodating for that. I also know of a lot of people who have used them for thru-hiking with great success (see here: http://yelling-stop.blogspot.com/201...ltra-lone.html ; http://alicehikes.com/2015/01/pct-clothing-review/ ). I have a bias for trail runners since I am short and weigh about 115 lbs, so I don't like heavy shoes and these are a great alternative to boots for me.

I finally made it out to try the Altra Lone Peak 2.5. I really like everything about them except they are too squishy for my taste. I am sticking to the Superior 2.0 with hopes Altra changes the fabric as they do not dry very quickly.

I hike with a pack 30-35 lbs, either of the Altras were fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I was old school too until i switched to runners and hiking poles. Never going back to boots unless it's the dead of winter.

Images

Rather than create a new thread, I thought I'd ask here. I just finished a section hike from Bears' Den Hostel to Harper's Ferry. There were a couple of pretty steep downhills, and the shoes I thought were a perfect fit didn't work. My right foot especially started jamming in the toe area, and my big toe is now numb on my right foot.

I wear an 11 most of the time, and my foot is right on the edge of measuring wide. I believe it is an E width on the Brannock Device, but barely. Interestingly, my length on the Brannock measures a 10, but 10's never fit!

I know you should go up a half to full size in your backpacking shoes, but if I did that with my current shoes, they'd be way too lose on the flat and uphill sections. Could it be that I just need a wider toe box, and not just a larger size?

I'd like to try some Altra's, but I can't find anyone who carries them.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Namtrag View Post
    I'd like to try some Altra's, but I can't find anyone who carries them.
    Zappos
    Running warehouse

Free shipping and return shipping

Try all you want

Images

Good idea! But was thinking more along the lines of REI. If I had bought my current shoes there, I could take them back since it's only been a short time.

What else is bad is our local running store carries Altra, but only the road running ones. This is because we have no trails around here, so the store has no demand for trail runners! lol Straight from the clerks mouth.

Picked up a pair of Topo Athletic MT last summer. They have been my favorite shoe of all time. Just ordered pair of the new MT 2.

How many monkey butlers will there be?

One at first. But he'll train others.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Namtrag View Post
    Good idea! But was thinking more along the lines of REI. If I had bought my current shoes there, I could take them back since it's only been a short time.

What else is bad is our local running store carries Altra, but only the road running ones. This is because we have no trails around here, so the store has no demand for trail runners! lol Straight from the clerks mouth.
    If you had worn them around your house for an hour , directly comparing to other sizes and models you might have realized they werent the best fit.

Did you know you can return used shoes to running warehouse for store credit if they dont work out for you? Why do you think runners buy from them?

Nobody, NOBODY, can tell you what fits YOUR foot best but you. All anyone else is doing is looking and guessing and offering psychological support to facilitate a sale so they can pocket a commission.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-09-2016 at 21:31.

Images

Actually, I wore them on two other 15 mile backpacking trips, and thought they were awesome...the issue only came out when I went on a trip with long, steep descents. But in any case, point taken!!

I will take a look at the running warehouse, and also take a trip to the REI here that just opened. It sounds like either place would be a good choice since you can return used shoes to them!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++