WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Looking for a new UL pack need advice

So I have my base weight to just below 10 lbs, to celebrate I'd like to get a new UL or lightweight pack, I figure I'll need to carry a weeks worth of food at a time max for my upper limit, I've looked at the ULA Ohm 2.0 and ULA CDT, the MLD Exodus, the GoLite Jam 50, the Osprey Exos 46 or 48 but I'm having trouble deciding, do any of you recommend any other packs I might be missing, or think that one pack is a lot better than the other? Any advice is appreciated.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I'd also take a look at the zPacks Arc Blast (16 oz, carbon fiber frame, $275): http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks/arc_blast.shtml
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Journal Entries
    Images

I just bought ULA Ohm2 made with cuben. The pack weighs 1lb 6oz. It is totally waterproof and they modified the top closure to be just like my old catalyst. I'll be hiking from High Point NJ to Great Barrington Mass. My total pack weight including 1 liter of water is 28 lbs. Cost is $300 including cuben waist belt. Made in Logan Utah!

I went thru the same thing. Bought an REI Flash 50, it wasn't right for me. Got an Elemental Horizons, wonderful pack, but just not right for me. Looked very closely at the Arc Blast, tried one, felt a little different (not unusual for a new-design external), but I was, and remain, a little suspicious. Finally ordered an Ohm 2.0. Best pack I've ever had. And I've had some great ones. It just fits me perfectly.

But Before you go lickety-split after a UL pack, make sure you have a serious conversation with yourself about your REAL packweight. My experience has been that if a company tells you they can carry X number of pounds 'almost effortlessly' - and they all do - expect X-5 or X-10 lbs to be more realistic. So make sure your 'Monday Load' if you're a thru or sectioner is matched to the backpack.

I scooped up a granite gear Virga pack on sale for $50. Weighs in at 20oz. I have been slowly modifying it to suit me: added an external back pocket, got a hip belt from a buddy to add to it, plan to add an aluminum stay. I bought it with modifications in mind. Point is, find one that will carry your heaviest load. Ultralight pack are not for everyone. I have never had an ULA Ohm 2.0, but I have never read where the owner didn't like it. If I had the funds at the time, I would bought the Ohm.

My Monday load should be around 22 pounds total, I've been leaning towards the ohm 2.0, everyone seems to love it, don't know if I want to go cuben or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Stevens View Post
    My Monday load should be around 22 pounds total, I've been leaning towards the ohm 2.0, everyone seems to love it, don't know if I want to go cuben or not.

I've found if you go with cuben, you really won't need a pack cover either. Doesn't soak water like nylon.

Your 'Monday Load' is PERFECT for the OHM 2.0. Mine's 22-23 lbs, and the Ohm really does great - hugs my hips like a lonely debutante at her sister's wedding ..... For me it came down to Ohm versus Arc Blast - I chose the Ohm and am extremely glad I did. btw I have a buddy on a thru right now who is telling me his Arcblast is developing an iffy shoulder strap...

This really just confirms what I thought about the ohm! Brancher, do the water bottle pockets seem deep enough? I have a 2L Platypus bottle, I'm thinking that they might be too short

This really just confirms what I thought about the ohm! Brancher, do the water bottle pockets seem deep enough? I have a 2L Platypus bottle, I'm thinking that they might be too short

I keep a 24 oz water bottle either in a side pocket or attached to a shoulder strap - some say it doesn't work, but I think that's more about knowing HOW to attach them on the supplied shock cord - I have no probs. also, the side pockets are plenty large and deep. I can access water without taking off the pack, and they are big enough to hold my kitchen and my Sawyer squeeze set (and an extra 2l platypus) if I take my 600 ml setup or my 900 setup Short answer, the side pockets are plenty big enough. The front stretch pocket seems a little frail, but it is NOT. I stuff my tarp in there (rolled in snakeskins) and my silnylon poncho. I also stuff my pack cover (it's also silnylon, so it weighs just about nothing) and my trowel in there. The belt pockets aren't humongous, but they are as big as others, and hold snacks, cell phone, and/or leatherman, bandaids, sunscreen, etc.

And they come standard with hydration sleeve and trail wallet inside. Those items as well as belt pockets are extras on other high-end packs.

Very happy with my ohm 2.0 as well. The side pocket holds 1 liter smart bottles just fine. It's the most comfortable pack I've used and blows the Exos series out of the water...for me.

I will vouch for the ohm 2.0 as well! Hugs my back and the water bottle pockets are huge! The hip belt pockets are the biggest I've used as well.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by brancher View Post
    ...hugs my hips like a lonely debutante at her sister's wedding ....
    Now there's a metaphor I'll remember!

Seriously now. I've used the Jam for years, and it's always fit my needs well. My "first day out" load is usually 22-24 lbs., and the pack has held it comfortably, keeping everything balanced and stable. Over the winter, I bought a used MLD Exodus, and will be experimenting with it this summer.
    Last edited by RodentWhisperer; 04-19-2014 at 10:57.
    "We can no longer live as rats. We know too much." -- Nicodemus

I would also recommend Gossamer Gear packs.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by russb View Post
    I would also recommend Gossamer Gear packs.
    +1 Thumbs up for GG

Images

I like the Six Moon Designs packs or those by Mountain Laurel Designs.
    Last edited by jimmyjam; 04-19-2014 at 19:07.

Everything I've read seems to indicate that MLD makes some really nice packs, I'm thinking I might go with a Burn, I'm sure you couldn't go wrong with the Exodus or a Plague (or whatever the name of the one between the burn and exodus is--I think the names sequentially follow the biblical account of Moses) w/ the optional top lid for whenever you need to bring more food.
    Awwww. Fat Mike, too?

Images

Light as air and wicked inexpensive compared to the designer bags everyone is talking about.

Humor!

I have an OHM 2.0 that I like an awful lot, though I'm not sure it qualifies as UL.

Branched, I would be interested in knowing more about the problems your friend is having with his Arc Blast. My current pack is the original ULA Ohm. I've been considering replacing it with the Arc Blast to reduce weight but have been hesitant to place an order out of concerns for its durability. I know that there are several thru hikers using the Arc Blast this season. I will be curious to see how well they hold up!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++