WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default My fat story in Prevention Magazine

Prevention reached out to me to do an article because of my age and weight I guess when I started the trail. Here it is. It is mostly accurate, some stuff I didn't really like. I thought the hike itself was the cool thing, but that has been written so many times. Their focus was on weight, mid life crisis, stress in my life etc. Still- here it is.

Images

Nice article - fun reading! Thanks for posting and congrats on your accomplishment!

Jane

I think the title is pretty misleading. Seems like you are being a little hard on yourself. Sure, the article mentions the weight gain and loss, but it covers so much more. This is actually the most enjoyable magazine article that I have ever read about a thru hike.

Congratulations on finishing the hike, losing the weight, and finding a happier you.

Thanks for sharing.

Images

Very nice! Congrats on your accomplishments!
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    I think the title is pretty misleading. Seems like you are being a little hard on yourself. Sure, the article mentions the weight gain and loss, but it covers so much more. This is actually the most enjoyable magazine article that I have ever read about a thru hike.

Congratulations on finishing the hike, losing the weight, and finding a happier you.

Thanks for sharing.
    +1

Well done and, indeed, so much more than just the weight loss, which in itself is a side effect of a much more important mental shift and re-awakening.

And I didn't know 'they' moved Neels Gap to Maine. Learn something new every day!

Great read. I read your blog so it was familiar but I think it was well done.

Thank you for sharing - very inspirational.

Jeff

GA --ME; and then some... Okie Dokie's Avatar

Congratulations!

Enjoyable reading...I felt that old familiar "dampness" just looking at the fog hanging in the opening picture !
    We shout out "I exist!", and it stirs not the slightest sense of obligation from the universe...

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    +1

Well done and, indeed, so much more than just the weight loss, which in itself is a side effect of a much more important mental shift and re-awakening.

And I didn't know 'they' moved Neels Gap to Maine. Learn something new every day!
    +2...congrats!! Loved it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing your journey!!!!!!

The gear they describe in the article shows a multi tool. Did you really take a multi tool with you? I've not done my thru hike yet but hear that those are some of the first items to be dropped of at mile 31.

Quote Originally Posted by BonBon View Post
    Prevention reached out to me to do an article because of my age and weight I guess when I started the trail. Here it is. It is mostly accurate, some stuff I didn't really like. I thought the hike itself was the cool thing, but that has been written so many times. Their focus was on weight, mid life crisis, stress in my life etc. Still- here it is.

Great reading, thanks for sharing!

Wow congrats, you're amazing!

Congratulations on your accomplishment! Great article.

Congratulations! Thanks for posting the article, I thought it was quite good. I was also sometimes upset with myself in the Whites, and the 100 Mile Wilderness, that I didn't seem to be as proficient a hiker as 1500+ miles should have made me.

Images

Thank you for sharing your story, an interesting read. Congrats on your accomplishments!

BonBon,
    Your trail journal was so honest and inspiring. I am glad that, through this article, others will hear your story and learn of your philanthropy. Best wishes!

Quote Originally Posted by Ardency View Post
    BonBon,
    Your trail journal was so honest and inspiring. I am glad that, through this article, others will hear your story and learn of your philanthropy. Best wishes!
    +1. Bon Bon, yours was one of my favorite trail journals this year.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BonBon View Post
    Agree with others, this is far more than a "fat story". It is one of the better stories that partially captures the joy of living in the moment on the trail. Well done in communicating that aspect.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Karet, the article is excellent. That writer knows how to write. To me, as a reader, it just struck me as "real AT" and a "real person." I didn't sense that there was anything melodramatic or that it focused too much on anything. It's just a good story.

P.S. I'm a magazine editor and publisher. This is my business. If I had received an article of this quality from a freelance writer, I would've been ecstatic.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++