WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Likely more sarcastic than you!
    Images

Default Blister prevention steps that worked for me... in a stellar fashion, may I add.

I've been meaning to share some of my views since I did a little 60-miler over some of the rockiest parts of the AT recently, in good old Rocksylvania. I managed 60 miles in three full hiking days with not even so much as a hot spot, leaving my blister treatment pack untouched. This is in BIG contrast to how I fared on the Florida Trail, with no rocks or hills at all. And I don't want to give any false impressions, I'm very new to this and very humble about it. I've experienced the pain of said blisters, as well as miserably aching muscles and some pretty severe thirst.

First off, let me give some history. I live in Florida, and if you want to do some awesome Winter hiking, the FT is the place to do it. No rain, beautiful skies, and weather in the 60's and 70's. I got the idea in my head to walk through Ocala National Forest, and planned out 4½ days to get it done this past winter. I trained, shook out my gear, and eventually got dropped off to start the walk - with, of course, a pack that was a wee bit too heavy @ about 38#. I was wearing a pair of Asics trail runners (½ size too big) and some Darn Tough socks. By the end of the first day, I felt blisters forming on my heels and up under the balls of my feet, you know, the typical places. I lanced one that night, and the next morning I got up, shoved my feet in my shoes, and started walking. Being that it was 35 degrees out, I was looking to get walking very quickly. I wasn't wearing gaiters, and sand kept getting down the back of my shoes. Not good. The blisters, of course, just got exacerbated. I did some good mileage for the 2nd day, having had only about 9-10 hours of light. But by then, I was in trouble. My right foot swelled, and I had a blister starting up to the top of both feet, between my big and index toes. Walking on the 3rd day, I could not even appreciate all the beauty around me (and there is much in the Ocala National Forest)... all I could do was wince on each and every footfall. I had to call my girlfriend and have her come get me at a little community store in the middle of the woods. I did 50 of the 70 miles, but my feet looked like hamburger and I couldn't walk right for days. I know so many of you have been there. It's not fun!

This spring, I planned a little outing on the AT near where my parents lived. In fact, I got some good info from some kind souls right here on WB. I purchased a book called "Fixing Your Feet" and proceeded right to the Prevention section. I planned on using the same Asics trail runners because I knew that it wasn't necessarily the shoes... I wanted to prove this to myself. I was also super concerned about blisters putting me of the trail again. Over the course of a month, between intense trainings, I purchased: Spenco blister pads (for the heels and up under the balls of my feet), new insoles, Gaiters (from Montbell - AWESOME), Wigwam merino socks (three pairs) and that Sports Glide crap that stays slick forever. This stuff was my true saving grace, I think. I purchased treatment stuff too - lambswool, moleskin, toe caps, and the like... and never used any of it. I just did the standard drying my feet out at stops, slathering the Sports Glide on potential blister areas at least twice a day, and changed my socks twice a day. The gaiters kept all the grit out, and I literally felt my feet 'sliding' in potential hot-areas, rather than rubbing and starting blisters. From Port Clinton, I walked 16 miles the first half day, 17 and 20 the 2nd/3rd day, and 8 on the last half day where my father picked me up in Wind Gap. We know this is a ROCKY section, but yet I had not a blister to be seen. If you use gaiters, Spenco Pads, Sports Glide, all in conjunction with quality socks and halfway decent shoes, I think you put your blister chances down to the 20% chance range no matter what the terrain. I know wet environments may change this a bit. And, maybe someone will have a differing opinion. As a side note, I think my lighter pack weight (29# with H20 and consumables) helped too.

Sorry this has been such a wordy post, I just wanted to share some of my trials and discoveries with the hope that someone would NOT have to go through what I did. In short - a pound of prevention was worth a ton of cure! Hope this helps.

Treesloth

I'm not prone to blisters (once did 50 miles in 3 days years ago and didn't get a single hotspot), but that's probably my biggest concern for a long-distance hike. I see and hear of so many people who have foot problems that take them off the trail early so, it's on my mind. Hell, my sister can't walk three miles on her local greenway in tennis shoes without coming home with at least a couple of blisters.

I have body glide, but I keep it for the thighs. Never thought of using it on the feet. And never heard of that book 'Fixing Your Feet' either. That's good info--thanks for sharing it!
    Double Wide is now BLUEBERRY
    Northbound (2nd Attempt) March 2017

Journal Entries

Its great to find what works for you!
    I am of the opinion too that the pack wt helped a lot.

Ive never had a blister on my feet since I quit rollerskating, so I cant comment. All I can say is a light pack < 25 lbs, trail runners, thin socks, seems to work great for me and my son. Never been fanatical about changing socks, just once per day. Dont stop and rest feet or air out (but I see others with boots off on side of trail doing just that).

By day 3 if I dont wash or change socks, I can start feeling abrasion. If you want to see just how dirty socks get, wear white ones. Holy smokes, the whole sock is dirty thru the trail runner mesh, with dirt embedded in it all the way thru to inside.

The 4 things that helped me stay blister free on the trail:

- Proper boot fit
    - Darn Tough Trek socks
    - Pre-hike foot soak in strong tea solution http://www.podiatrytoday.com/article/291
    - Daily use of Body Glide on feet during hike

Images

This is good information, my right pinky toe is still recovering from last week. The skin has turned black, I may need to amputate.

Images

Spokes - must try that tea soak thing, this is not the first time I've heard of it. Don't recall if it was mentioned in Fixing Your Feet, but I'm going to go back and have a look. Can't say I agree with the Darn Tough socks... I know other like them but they did not get along with me. I gave my expensive pair to my father. And thanks to the others for their feedback. My feet were my biggest cause of concern before this last hike an it's empowering to know that there are relatively simple ways to address their safety and comfort. Can't wait to go back and tackle Ocala National Forest for a 3½ day hike. Oh, and Edie - hope that pinky toe stays with you.

The secret to the strong tea soak is the tannins in the tea help "leathurize" the feet. Go to the Dollar Store and grab a box large box of family size tea bags for this. 15 minute daily soaks about a week before the hike does wonders.

You can also accomplish this by using tincture of benzoin. It can be hard to come by. Usually small family drugstores will have it on their shelves. Amazon will have it. Use it toughen know blister prone spots or on hot spots when you feel them.

http://equipped.outdoors.org/2011/05...f-benzoin.html

Cheers!

Images

Awesome, Spokes... I'm going to try both next time. I figure you can't have too much prevention when it comes to your feet. I figure the benzoin can easily be repackaged it in the same fashion I did with the Sports Glide - just use a clean empty 15ml eye-drop container.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Edie View Post
    This is good information, my right pinky toe is still recovering from last week. The skin has turned black, I may need to amputate.
    RE: "I may need to Amputate" RU Serious ????
    He leads me beside still waters !!
    Happy Trails..... BrotherAL

wookinpanub

I guess I'm "old school" in regard to foot care. I hike in ragg wool socks with a thin polypro liner. I've never had a hiking blister, so I'm not changing a thing. Many outdoor store sales folks have tried to tell me that "with this sock, you don't need a liner" or "this material is superior technology". I thank them for the advice and never listen to it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I have always used gaiters, as well.

wookinpanub

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    The secret to the strong tea soak is the tannins in the tea help "leathurize" the feet. Go to the Dollar Store and grab a box large box of family size tea bags for this. 15 minute daily soaks about a week before the hike does wonders.

You can also accomplish this by using tincture of benzoin. It can be hard to come by. Usually small family drugstores will have it on their shelves. Amazon will have it. Use it toughen know blister prone spots or on hot spots when you feel them.

http://equipped.outdoors.org/2011/05...f-benzoin.html

Cheers!
    Tincture of Benzoine can also be used to prep an area before applying a band-aid or duct tape. With that combination, it will be stuck like super glue.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wookinpanub View Post
    I guess I'm "old school" in regard to foot care. I hike in ragg wool socks with a thin polypro liner. I've never had a hiking blister, so I'm not changing a thing. Many outdoor store sales folks have tried to tell me that "with this sock, you don't need a liner" or "this material is superior technology". I thank them for the advice and never listen to it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I have always used gaiters, as well.
    Same Here. I wear proper fitting shoes / boots, mostly merino wool socks, foot powder, and a variety of synthetic liners. Blisters have never been a problem. If I'm taking a lengthy break, I remove my shoes and let everything breathe.

For the most part I stopped getting blisters when I stopped buying gortex boots or shoes and started buying trail runners with alot of mesh. I also started wearing thiner socks rather then those thick comfortable hiking socks figuring my feet would stay cooler and sweat less. I rotate my socks about every hour and rub off whatever dirt will come off easily around the toes. Started doing this back in 2007 and stopped getting blisters on backpackng trips. With one exception, the 1st week on the PCT in '09 where the desert heat within a few inches of the ground was much much hotter then the temperature said and really baked my feet. It was impossible to keep my feet dry and my thin socks would be soaked with sweet everytime I took them off. It only took a few hours and less then 10 miles to get my first blister. Fortunately, after the 1st week I was fine. Haven't had a blister since then either.

Images

What has worked for me:
    1) Properly fitted trail runners, no goretex.
    2) foot powder
    3) keep feet clean
    4) Wrightsocks, double layer very lightweight running socks.
    5) keep feet dry.
    6) immediately stop and correct any hot spot.
    7) cut, not poke any blister.
    8) keep laces properly tightened, don't let toes hit toe of shoe.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by brotheral View Post
    RE: "I may need to Amputate" RU Serious ????
    No : ) just discolored skin

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Edie View Post
    No : ) just discolored skin
    That's Good !! I was concerned....

Images

I've found that wiping the feet down with denatured alcohol helps toughen them up quite nicely, before and during the hike. Also does wonders for the stink. My standards for prevention-- dry socks, gold bond, body glide, and duct tape. Taking off shoes during breaks and removing the insoles at night really helps too. And then there's Neosporin with pain relief which makes a great between the toe "lube" when all else fails. Liners never helped me much, but they do reduce friction and wick moisture...

Great ideas! I am going to start using the tea now in preparation for a hike in two weeks. When I do blister, I find that duct tape works far better than mole skin. If I use the tincture of Benzoin before putting on the duct tape, will I be able to remove the duct tape fairly easily each evening to clean the blister?

++ New Posts ++