WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Massachusetts Section Hike

I'm considering doing all of MA in a section hike. I don't think I really care if I do it SOBO or NOBO but SOBO would make more sense because I could park at the bottom of MA or top of CT then shuttle to the top of MA then just hike back to my car which makes it a shorter return trip back to NJ.

Do you know of ways to mass transit from the bottom of MA to the top of MA or is a shuttle really the only way to do it? What are the best parking options for a car either at the bottom or top of MA (to leave the car unattended for about a week)?

Any other things to consider? Potential dates will be in July or August.

Thanks

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I find SOBO through MA is easier, but that's because there seem to be more downhills! Also, ending at Sages Ravine after walking the ridge of Race Mountain is a spectacular way to finish a section! You can park at the AMC cabin parking on Washington Rd in Sheffield MA which has the easiest access to the MA/CT line. Then it's a simple (choke) shuttle to County Rd in VT....easy peasy! (Cheap too if you time it right and get that crazy woman from RI to do the shuttle).
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Google maps to the rescue. There is a regional bus which goes between Williamstown, MA and North Canaan, CT (a few miles east of Salisbury) Leaves at 12:45 PM and arrives 5:36 PM. Two transfers.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

this always turns into one of my "favorite" threads.

assuming you arent hiking all of MA just for the sake of hiking MA and have no future intentions, even vague ones, of hiking the AT in CT and/or VT then the "borders" of MA are either before or after the official border.

on the north end you can stop in north adams, MA or bennington, VT. on the south end you can stop at jug end rd in MA or salisbury, CT.

there are technically ways to hike from actual border to actual border but frankly they make little to no sense if you plan on doing, or have already done, the adjoining states. they will get discussed at stupendous length before this thread ends. its a hobby for some people i guess. don't believe the hype.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Google maps to the rescue. There is a regional bus which goes between Williamstown, MA and North Canaan, CT (a few miles east of Salisbury) Leaves at 12:45 PM and arrives 5:36 PM. Two transfers.
    this is the issue with almost all public transit of that sort. a shuttle of that distance takes, at the absolute most, 2 hours.

my vacation time is too precious to waste near to 3 hours fiddling around with transit that seems almost deliberately designed to make what i'm trying to do a living nightmare. to say nothing of wasting the whole morning waiting for the bus to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    this is the issue with almost all public transit of that sort. a shuttle of that distance takes, at the absolute most, 2 hours.

my vacation time is too precious to waste near to 3 hours fiddling around with transit that seems almost deliberately designed to make what i'm trying to do a living nightmare. to say nothing of wasting the whole morning waiting for the bus to begin with.
    I didn't say it was a GOOD option It is however an option.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

You bring up an excellent point. Shuttles aren’t the cheapest option, but are definitely the most logistically simple. Since the MA section isn’t the easiest to do via public transit, one idea might be to see use a shuttle, but start or stop in a town that would more easily line up public transit for a future hike (I haven’t done this in the area myself, just thinking outloud.)

As far as shuttles, Whiteblaze has a rather good list of current shuttlers which is below. I’ve used Dave Ackerson, who is based in North Adams MA twice and have been very happy with his service.

Whiteblaze shuttle list:

https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/at-shuttles.php

Dave Ackerson -
    North Adams, MA (413) 346-1033
    (413) 652-9573
    [email protected]
    From Hudson River, NY to Hanover, NH; also Albany, NY and Hartford, CT airports
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

This is always my point made... I will be up in the Mass area first of September...
    Get off work on Friday and will be at the airport by 5:30.
    Land in CT at 11 pm, late night pickup from Jesse and go to her hostel, first thing Saturday morning driven to the trail. So in about 15 hours I have made it to New England and my feet are on the trail for about $450 bucks. For my precious 3 weeks of vaca I get a year (I know others get a lot less) the money is well worth it to me.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    I find SOBO through MA is easier, but that's because there seem to be more downhills! Also, ending at Sages Ravine after walking the ridge of Race Mountain is a spectacular way to finish a section! You can park at the AMC cabin parking on Washington Rd in Sheffield MA which has the easiest access to the MA/CT line. Then it's a simple (choke) shuttle to County Rd in VT....easy peasy! (Cheap too if you time it right and get that crazy woman from RI to do the shuttle).
    Is there a place to park a car safely for a few days in Salisbury CT?

Quote Originally Posted by spfleisig View Post
    Is there a place to park a car safely for a few days in Salisbury CT?
    Yes on the north end of town there is a nice trailhead known as the Undermountain Rd Trailhead, Salisbury is a nice quiet little town that I would imagine has very little crime. I would park there for a week without hesitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Yes on the north end of town there is a nice trailhead known as the Undermountain Rd Trailhead, Salisbury is a nice quiet little town that I would imagine has very little crime. I would park there for a week without hesitation.
    Thanks. Is the parking lot on Undermountain Road?

Images

http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/at/s...&sectionID=129

Yes it is -

Click Here for photo of Trailhead

Click here for google waypoint of trailhead with directions
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 07-10-2018 at 15:33.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Yes it is -

Click Here for photo of Trailhead

Click here for google waypoint of trailhead with directions
    I have been there 2 different times for section hikes. There is room for 10 cars, or more, but it fills up on nice weekends. I got help to park my car in between 2 trees in the lot. The one weekday I was there in June of this year, the lot was almost empty. Also, fyi, there is a privy near the trail, just off of the parking lot. Although I have been there before, I tend to drive past it the first time, and have to turn around and go back.
    Just love being outside, not sure why. 765 AT miles done (2014-2018), many more to go.

I'm 3 miles form the last A.T. crossing in North Adams, MA. You can leave your car at my "safe" place and I'll shuttlle you to the CT/MA line. Vic LaPort, 413-664-6203,, [email protected].

++ New Posts ++