WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default trail conditions in ct.

any of you good folks been up on the trail around kent or falls village since that noreaster brushed by us? Just tossin around the idea of headin out that way this weekend and I want to make sure I carry the right gear. Any info would be appreciated. happy hiking to all.....

Images

Bring spikes just in case. North faces, heavily shaded areas can still be icy or snowy. I was at Mt. Tom in W Ma last weekend. Probably comparable. I needed spikes for the steep descent down the deeply shaded north face of Whiting Peak. It was that or butt-sliding. Glad I had the spikes!

Haven't been out to CT AT-land since 3/18, so I can't say for sure. I expect Lion's Head northward still will have a good amt of snow and ice, but Great Falls southward mostly not, except as noted.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

You beat me to the thread. I am considering going up Salisbury this weekend and was wondering what the trail conditions were like.

Images

well no matter the conditions I guess I'll take my chances, a little snow and ice makes for a pretty hike and bit of a challenge. Still haven't decided on where to starte. I guess I'll just pack for a weekend and see what happens depending on the wife and my list. HEHE...The peas and cabbage are in time to hike.

Images

If you want winter beauty and medium challenge, I'd say Lion's Head to Bear or Undermtn up. If you're gonna do north side of Bear, I'd say ascend. If you want more challenge, forge northward from Bear. I can attest that Race Brook Falls area is gorgeous. Probably plenty of snow there above 1400 or so, I'd guess, from near upper main falls and up.

No snow at all between Kent and Cornwall Bridge as of last weekend.

Im heading up tomorrow morning. Maybe I'll catch you on the trail.

I was in the sages area 2 days ago and I needed my micro spikes to get around still plenty of ice / snow on trail, Bear (N) was windy icy and snow. Plenty of water around and in places mud is starting to show up. Patchy spots depends on what side of the mountain you're on i guess..

Quote Originally Posted by cthiker View Post
    No snow at all between Kent and Cornwall Bridge as of last weekend.

That is good to hear. The wrong way for me but incouraging. I plan on doing RT 341 to Hoyt Rd next Saturday the 16th. I would not be surprised to hit snow/ice on the north side of 10 mile hill. Summer is almost here and I hear the Blue ridge calling, got to get ready.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Turtle View Post
    That is good to hear. The wrong way for me but incouraging. I plan on doing RT 341 to Hoyt Rd next Saturday the 16th. I would not be surprised to hit snow/ice on the north side of 10 mile hill.
    I'd bet little or none - lower elevation, good bit further south. Got less snow than the higher spots in the first place and it will have melted faster, except for the shade.

Images

looks like I'll be heading up that away on saturday, I want to try to get there around 6 in the am. starte with a lil crispness to the air. put down some miles and see where I stop for the evening only god knows.

On March 26th the husband and I hiked up near Salisbury and encountered one small patch of snow between routes 41 and 44, but nothing that you would need any special equipment for. Of course with the storm that could have changed.
    We did a short hike from Schagticoke Rd. (I have no idea if I spelled this correctly!) to Hoyt Rd. this past Saturday (April 2nd) and there was no snow or ice anywhere to be seen. With the leaves off the trees we had some nice views from the top of Ten Mile Hill.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by smich View Post
    On March 26th the husband and I hiked up near Salisbury and encountered one small patch of snow between routes 41 and 44, but nothing that you would need any special equipment for.
    Hi smich, thanks - what part between 41 and 44 do you mean? Down in the valley near Salisbury village, or up atop the Taconic ridge from Undermountain or Race Brook Falls trails or Jug End southward?

Hi Driver! In the valley near Salisbury, actually it was right between Route 41 and the road walk on Cobble Rd. We had a short section there that we had missed. Another day when the drive took way longer than the hike!

Images

Thanks, smich. Hope you enjoyed!

I figured it was that part, not up atop the ridge. Thanks again!

++ New Posts ++