WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default NOBO finish dates

So, we already have several threads devoted to starting dates, but that doesn't tell us much about who/what numbers we will be seeing for the majority of the trail (other than the first few weeks). For those of you like me, who (unfortunately) have a deadline for completing the trail, when are you trying to finish?

I'll be starting between Feb 15 and March 1, and I'm trying to finish by the first week of August. Have to be back at school for the fall semester.

Registered User Kaptain Kangaroo's Avatar
    Images

For a slightly historical answer to your question..... in 2006 I started on March 3rd & finished on July 12th, so not too much different from your plan. The first few weeks there were lots of other thru-hikers around, but by southern Virginia they really started to thin out. Saw my last fellow thru hiker near Salisbury CT & then no more for the rest of the trail. All the hikers ahead had similar paces & so we never met up. (obviously the same for the ones behind too).
    But keep in mind that after those first few weeks, thru-hikers only make up a small percentage of people on the trail. I saw lots of other hikers all along the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Chase!! View Post
    So, we already have several threads devoted to starting dates, but that doesn't tell us much about who/what numbers we will be seeing for the majority of the trail (other than the first few weeks). For those of you like me, who (unfortunately) have a deadline for completing the trail, when are you trying to finish?

I'll be starting between Feb 15 and March 1, and I'm trying to finish by the first week of August. Have to be back at school for the fall semester.
    I'm starting mid-March, and giving myself pleeeeenty of time - no time constraints here, so I've got seven months to make it. I intend to move fairly slow, especially at first. I am definitely the Tortoise, all you Hares will surely pass me at some point.

I started on February 27th and finished on July 20th. I hiked 109 days and took off 35 days because of snow in the Smokies and some medical issues. I saw other thru hikers the entire time, off and on. We ping ponged around since were traveling about the same pace.
    Your time frame should allow you to finish comfortably if you start off in decent shape.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chase!! View Post

Taking you off topic a bit, Chase, pls forgive me! I want to hike/climb Longs Peak via the Keyhole route. Have you done it? How is it? I intend to get out there by 2016, maybe sooner. Any advice or experience you could share would be most appreciated. If you wish, pls feel free to pm me or reply here.

Thank you in advance.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain Kangaroo View Post
    For a slightly historical answer to your question..... in 2006 I started on March 3rd & finished on July 12th, so not too much different from your plan. The first few weeks there were lots of other thru-hikers around, but by southern Virginia they really started to thin out. Saw my last fellow thru hiker near Salisbury CT & then no more for the rest of the trail. All the hikers ahead had similar paces & so we never met up. (obviously the same for the ones behind too).
    But keep in mind that after those first few weeks, thru-hikers only make up a small percentage of people on the trail. I saw lots of other hikers all along the trail.
    It was strange to see a Kangaroo on Whitecap Mt. in Maine in July. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    Taking you off topic a bit, Chase, pls forgive me! I want to hike/climb Longs Peak via the Keyhole route. Have you done it? How is it? I intend to get out there by 2016, maybe sooner. Any advice or experience you could share would be most appreciated. If you wish, pls feel free to pm me or reply here.

Thank you in advance.
    No problem, Driver. I've never done Longs, but I've spent a lot of time in the NP and I know plenty of people who have done it. The Keyhole is a Class 3 route, so its lots of scrambling (using your hands) but generally doesn't require rope. It doesn't require technical climbing experience, but I definitely wouldn't recommend the route to anyone who's afraid of heights because it has a lot of exposure (i.e. walking a one-foot wide trail with a few thousand feet of air right next to you). For more details, be sure to check out 14ers.com. Don't worry about a guidebook; this website has more info than anything you will find on paper.

Hope this helps! Maybe if I'm still living out here I'll go with you. I've been wanting to do it for a while.

Cerveza - AT 2010; PCT 2011 StormBird's Avatar

I started March 31st and finished October 7th. I hiked 165 days and took 27 zeros. I think it is good to plan for 6 months for your thru hike. Even though most of us are completely capable of finishing this hike faster, i feel most of the hikers I met on trail started taking their time about mid way through b/c they were having so much fun. Take the time to enjoy your hike. Nothing is more stressful on trail then having a schedule. Believe me.
    Trail Name: Cerveza

++ New Posts ++