WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Chafing

Journal Entries

Default Chafing

I'm here to bring up another age old dilemma... chafing. I'm a bigger guy. 6'1" 288 lbs currently. Every time I walk more than 4 miles I chafe. Sometimes it's starting to get back. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm beginning to think I may have to just tap some pads or something between my legs.

Images

Body glide.

I have big thighs and chaffing is a constant issue, I run reguarly and it keeps that area perpetually toughened. I hate using products, just for comfort.

I too am a big guy. I use synthetic underwear similar to spandex They are long enough to keep me from chafing. Body Glide is a product that a lot of people are using too. It goes on like a deodorant. People are using it in place of underwear even.
    Go Everywhere, Study Everything, Fear Nothing

I bathe my legs and sensitive areas with body glide before runs, bike rides, and hikes. Works great. There's a Gold Bond version too but I haven't tried it.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Atlas" View Post
    I too am a big guy. I use synthetic underwear similar to spandex They are long enough to keep me from chafing. Body Glide is a product that a lot of people are using too. It goes on like a deodorant. People are using it in place of underwear even.
    Which underwear are you using if you don't mind me asking? So far the things I chafe the least in are just Hanes boxers. I'm going to try a bigger size of compression shorts.

Journal Entries

I've tried body glide before and it wears off after about a half hour. I'm a bit knocked-kneed too... when it rains it pours I guess...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigHiker View Post
    I've tried body glide before and it wears off after about a half hour. I'm a bit knocked-kneed too... when it rains it pours I guess...
    Tights

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Images

I wear compression shorts at the moment and always keep a small bottle of Gold Bond with me. I put the Gold Bond on before and after a hike - I"m going to try the Body Glide, though. See if it works better.
    If a tree falls in the woods, be there to hear it.

Under Armour Boxerbrief Originals 9" is the gold standard for underwear as far as I'm concerned. It will stop chafing from your thighs.

If you chafe on your backside Desitin is your friend.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Journal Entries

I chafe right at the top of my legs where no underwear will ever touch. I'll try this stuff out. I appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigHiker View Post
    I chafe right at the top of my legs where no underwear will ever touch. I'll try this stuff out. I appreciate it!
    Compression-type underwear may hold your skin in a way that does affect that area. That said, the Bodyglide rec is a good one.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

I was going to mention body glide hands down. Use it for this and on my feet. Never had one issue since, but it sounds like it didn't work well for you.

I have had this same exact problem.

Make sure the compression shorts you buy are big enough. If you get them too tight, they will shove your skin/fat to the top and actually make them rub together. I've found that in general I wear a Large, but I get XL for compression shorts because they stay tight, and fit in every nook just right! So if you can afford it, maybe even try two or three sizes to see what fits the best.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by patman25 View Post
    I have had this same exact problem.

Make sure the compression shorts you buy are big enough. If you get them too tight, they will shove your skin/fat to the top and actually make them rub together. I've found that in general I wear a Large, but I get XL for compression shorts because they stay tight, and fit in every nook just right! So if you can afford it, maybe even try two or three sizes to see what fits the best.
    I bought some XL yesterday according to the size guide. Then I read online they fit small. I'll try some XXL. My wife, who is pretty athletic, told me they fit too tight.

Thanks for all the responses! I feel like there should definitely be a solution in here somewhere! Thanks

Images

9" inseam boxer briefs and Bag Balm.

For larger sizes of boxer briefs, the Starter brand in Walmart stores and the UnderArmour website are the places to go.

Like you, I found that Body Glide doesn't work well. Bag Balm works much better. It makes your crotch a greasy mess though, so while it's great on day hikes where you can wash yourself and your clothing afterwards, I would avoid using it on backpacking trips.

Journal Entries

Vaseline helps out and tends to have staying power. I usually use it on foot hot spots and nothing, not even mole skin or blister pads works better in my experience.

Images

I've found that Vaseline does work better than Body Glide, but not as well as Bag Balm.

I haven't tried it yet myself but i've heard several people swear by vagisil as the ultimate defense/treatment for chafing. They were so convincing that i'm definitely going to carry some with me.
    "Give no credence to any thought that was not born outdoors while one moved about freely"

Quote Originally Posted by tds1195 View Post
    I wear compression shorts at the moment and always keep a small bottle of Gold Bond with me. I put the Gold Bond on before and after a hike - I"m going to try the Body Glide, though. See if it works better.
    My hubbie has been backpacking for 15 years - which encompassed his prime weight and 70# over weight. As a scoutmaster, he has hiked with people age 11 through adult - ranging in weight from scary-skinny to major-over weight. Cur'ts advise on chafing:

1. 1st defense: proper underwear: boxer briefs from outfitter or compression shorts from Walmart ($12)- Ladies - Note: buy the guys compression shorts that are all black - They look like cycling shorts!
    2. 2nd Defense: Anti-Chafing Creme: Honestly, our troop of boys/leaders has gone through them all. We highly recommend Body Glide. In second comes Gold Bond (power or ointment is a personal preference). Body Glide may be found at any Outfitters, Dicks, or Dunhams. You may have to ask about it as it is often moved to the area of the current seasonal sport.

Side Note: Body Glide works well for ANY anti-chafing (heel, shoulders, etc.).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++