WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: KSC questions

Default KSC questions

I understand that you need to check in with the rangers and get your daypack before climbing Katahdin. I plan on starting out as early as possible in the morning..will there be someone there before the park opens to check me in/give me a daypack?

Also, I'm staying at the campground for 2 nights (night before and night of my Katahdin hike). Should I just leave the gear I'm not taking up with me at my tentsite while I climb, or should I pack it all and leave my pack at the ranger station, then unpack it again when I get back?
    "Too much civilization around here! Remember when the woods used to be woods, Harry?"

If you are going to be at the campground the night after your Katadin climb, then you will be fine to just keep the tent set up at the site.

If you plan to continue your hike south after the climb, then you will need to pack up all your stuff and leave the pack at the ranger station. The campground has a check out / check in time window. You may not be back off the summit before the check out window closes and they may need the campsite for other folks that are wanting to stay at the campground that night.

You may also want to get your day pack the night before your summit. That way, you dont have to wait for the ranger station to officially open before you start your ascent. The rangers should be willing to do that for you if you ask.

have a great hike to the summit.

you may want to put any valuables (wallet?) in a stuff sack and leave that at the ranger station instead of leaving in the tent (or the backpack minus the tent). You could put it in your food bag and leave that. Tell the ranger that you didnt feel comfortable leaving food in the tent all day while you were hiking. They dont need to know there are valuables in there, unless you just want to inform them of that fact.

Images

Ranger Station opens at 7am, you can hike before that (unofficially) but you can't officially check in and get a day pack before that. There usually is a line waiting....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ox97GaMe View Post
    you may want to put any valuables (wallet?) in a stuff sack and leave that at the ranger station instead of leaving in the tent (or the backpack minus the tent).
    Better with you in the daypack.

The door to the porch of the KSC Ranger Station is open all the time, not at 7AM. You can get a daypack whenever you like, they're in a bin under the AT register. Bring some cash for some firewood! Leave your tent set up, leave your pack on the porch, carry your valuables. You don't have to check in with the Ranger before you start your climb, all you need do is sign out at the Trailhead. The Ranger will visit your site in the evening if you didn't see him when you checked in by signing a camper registration clipboard on the porch. If you wait until after 7AM to begin you can read the posted weather report, but don't wait - start up at first light!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...&imageuser=314
    Last edited by TJ aka Teej; 06-18-2009 at 22:02. Reason: Hey! I have a pic!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Thanks everyone!

I did reserve 2 nights, so I think I will get my daypack the night before and leave my tent at my tentsite, and head out at first light.

What happens if the weather is terrible on the day I plan to summit, and I can't go up that day? Can I pay to stay an extra day or two, or will I be screwed when my reservation is up?
    "Too much civilization around here! Remember when the woods used to be woods, Harry?"

Quote Originally Posted by mindi View Post
    Thanks everyone!

I did reserve 2 nights, so I think I will get my daypack the night before and leave my tent at my tentsite, and head out at first light.

What happens if the weather is terrible on the day I plan to summit, and I can't go up that day? Can I pay to stay an extra day or two, or will I be screwed when my reservation is up?
    They'll find room for you if they are booked. . . no worries. . . and if the weather is too bad up top, doesn't mean it won't be nice down at KSC. . . have a great hike and anjoy Katahdin Stream. . . it's perfectly beautiful there. . . . . . you'll see

yo, so what do we do since were staying at the ATL the night before???
    will we be too late to get a daypack?? or do we bring one along and send it home from the park?
    "Ye who laughs last probably started laughing first."

Quote Originally Posted by phillycheze View Post
    yo, so what do we do since were staying at the ATL the night before???
    will we be too late to get a daypack?? or do we bring one along and send it home from the park?
    You'll probably head out early in the morning after eating breakfast, say perhaps 6:45-7 or so, and there'll be plenty of day packs when you arrive, at least if early June is at all similar to late June or later. (Also, you couldn't send anything home from the park even if you wanted to!)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mindi View Post
    Thanks everyone!

I reserved two nights, but only used one. I had planned to go into the park in the afternoon, hike up and down the next day, then camp another night at KSC.

I used AT Lodge's SOBO special, and they took me to the park at 6:30 AM. I was on the trail by 8:00. I went up Abol and down Hunt. Stayed at KSC one night, and then into the wilderness. I am at The Forks now (near Caratunk), then Stratton, thenAndover, then New Hampshire, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by wcgornto View Post
    I am at The Forks now (near Caratunk), then Stratton, thenAndover, then New Hampshire, etc.
    You're at Northern Outdoors? Good food, good people, hope you're having fun!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    You're at Northern Outdoors? Good food, good people, hope you're having fun!
    I recommend the Class V Stout, myself. :-) I hear the hot tub is good, too, but somehow I managed to miss that when I went through, so I speak of it only from secondhand knowledge.

++ New Posts ++