WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: The Doyle

Another news article about The Doyle (from the local weekly Perry County Times/News-Sun/Duncannon Record) but I did learn a couple of things from this one: http://www.pennlive.com/perry-county...oyles_fam.html

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    Another news article about The Doyle (from the local weekly Perry County Times/News-Sun/Duncannon Record) but I did learn a couple of things from this one: http://www.pennlive.com/perry-county...oyles_fam.html
    Good article, it was about Billville as much as the Doyle. If I ever won Megabucks, I'd buy the place and renovate it to it's former glory.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Good article, it was about Billville as much as the Doyle. If I ever won Megabucks, I'd buy the place and renovate it to it's former glory.
    If I ever win megabucks, I'd buy the place and preserve it in its present glory.

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    If I ever win megabucks, I'd buy the place and preserve it in its present glory.
    i'd buy it, raze it and build a mini- walmart

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    I dunno, something scary about the wiring.

I'm always amazed that people complain about The Doyle. It's not as though after about thirty seconds after checking in that you can't gauge the quality of the room. Or that guidebook or "trail news" didn't warn you. But The Doyle is an "experience" far past that of just a place to stay. I beleive those that only want to "be at one" with nature probably should look for trails other than the AT. The AT experience is so much more than hiking. Sure, many of my best memories are of the hike, but I don't value those memories I made in trail towns - Duncannon and The Doyle amongst them - any less. Were The Doyle to be razed (for a mini-wal-mart or an upgrade), I would miss it on my next hike through Duncannon.

Journal Entries
    Images

There is nothing wrong with the Doyle, good people, food is filling, and damn-it the folks are just too friendly to hiker trash! Ohhh I forgot you can get a beer!

Whiners and complainers need to take a shower and stop stinking up the place.........................
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Duff View Post
    I'm always amazed that people complain about The Doyle.
    How many people complained about the Doyle in this thread besides the guy that started it 7 years ago?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Duff View Post
    The AT experience is so much more than hiking. Sure, many of my best memories are of the hike, but I don't value those memories I made in trail towns - Duncannon and The Doyle amongst them - any less. Were The Doyle to be razed (for a mini-wal-mart or an upgrade), I would miss it on my next hike through Duncannon.
    yes, I agree. Which is why you can't/shouldn't try to hike the trail for $1,500.

Panzer

How much do I like the Doyle?....I don't call often but the number is in my phone contact list.

geek

Walmart won't build in the floodplain. So it's safe.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    How much do I like the Doyle?....I don't call often but the number is in my phone contact list.

geek
    +1 yea, there are in my directory too.
    Plus I also have a half gallon a doyle water in my closet incase I ever attempt a thru. I'll start with that water.

Panzer
    Last edited by Panzer1; 08-01-2011 at 02:17.

Fancy foodie soccer mom visits the Doyle and loves it: http://www.harrisburgmagazine.com/Fo...-II-Duncannon/

I didn't stay here, but the food and service was AWESOME! After hearing about the evening before and spending time hanging out, I really wish I could have stayed a day or two!!!

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I never spent the night there but I've had lunch there twice while hiking.
    Last time I was waiting outside for them to open when a lady came out of the bank next door and gave me a ten dollar bill!
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Hey all, is The Doyle still open? I can't call and reach anyone (okok, it's only 1030am), mailbox is full, website doesn't work. Concerned I didn't check into this more than a week before we need to stay there! Has anyone had experience with the Stardust Motel north on 11/15? Incase the Doyle doesn't work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Riff42 View Post
    Hey all, is The Doyle still open? I can't call and reach anyone (okok, it's only 1030am)
    There seems to be a time zone discrepancy in part of Duncannon, in that block "hiker midnight" does not translate to the same atomic Eastern Time as in the woods.

Try calling back after noon and telling them the website doesn't work.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Riff42 View Post
    Hey all, is The Doyle still open? I can't call and reach anyone (okok, it's only 1030am), mailbox is full, website doesn't work. Concerned I didn't check into this more than a week before we need to stay there! Has anyone had experience with the Stardust Motel north on 11/15? Incase the Doyle doesn't work out.
    pretty sure they open at 11am.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Yeah, I got a hold of them. Forgot to mention the website. Still, glad to have a place to finally relax! Hope the bar is open when we get there

Their presence on Facebook just woke up. I wonder if Vickey and Pat hired a social media manager. (Salary: one free beer per week??)

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
++ New Posts ++