WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Elemental horizons

Well, I did it. I ordered myself a Kalais yesterday. It was a tough decision because I could only find four people who actually had one. But, all four loved it. I sure hope they werent all four employees or family of the compnay!

It is upposed to arrive in 3-4 weeks Ill let you know what I think when I get it!

Arch

I love mine. Everything is right where it should be. Wears ultralight and packed for a week. Great pack design.

I plan on getting one too. We can start a club.

Well, I already have one. Great pack. It Is the XL Tall/Camo.
    Ron

I got mine last Tuesday! I love the pack, so far! Very well put together! I took it out for a 6 mile day hike (just to see how I like it) loaded down with about 25 pounds and it road great! I had a ULA circuit great, great pack, but it just did not fit me like I want a pack to fit. The Kalais fits me, so much better. I think it has a lot to do with the shape of the "v" stay to my back curve. I think you made a great decision to go with the Kalais.

Its great to hear all the positive feedback. I havent been this excited for a new piece of gear since.... well to be honest I am always like this when something is in the mail! But I am VERY excited for this pack. I sure do hope I am not disappointed. I shall let yall know when it arrives.

I'm currently debating between the kalais and aquilo myself.

Anyone experiences with the aquilo? I am afraid it might be too much bag. But feel the kalais might not be enough. Either way I think I will be happy. Any feed back would be great!

Large aquilo for sale over on BPL.
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    I'm currently debating between the kalais and aquilo myself.

Anyone experiences with the aquilo? I am afraid it might be too much bag. But feel the kalais might not be enough. Either way I think I will be happy. Any feed back would be great!

I had the same dilemma when getting my Kalais. I was surprised at the size of the Kalais when i got it. Much larger then i was thinking. The Aquilo would have been way to large for me. If you have single wall tent, small down bag the Kalais should be fine for 4-5 day trips without resupply.

Right now I am using warbonnet hammock, tarp, and underquilt. Golite 3 season top quilt. If I take my tent I am usually sharing with a hiking partner so the weigh and bulk isn't bad there either.

Thanks for the input on the kalais. You are making me feel more confident in my decision to get the kalais. In the pictures the aquilo looks so big but the specs suggest otherwise.

How are you liking the kalais?

Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    Right now I am using warbonnet hammock, tarp, and underquilt. Golite 3 season top quilt. If I take my tent I am usually sharing with a hiking partner so the weigh and bulk isn't bad there either.

Thanks for the input on the kalais. You are making me feel more confident in my decision to get the kalais. In the pictures the aquilo looks so big but the specs suggest otherwise.

How are you liking the kalais?
    I have not seen the Aquilo other then pictures and it does look very big! With the gear you have i think you will be fine. It's all in how you pack it, too. I packed and repacked mine many different ways before i found the best way to free up as much room as possible. I have been out on two over night trips on the weekend. Hiking around 17 miles with it so, far and i love it. Fits great and transfers the weight to the hips great. I use the V stay with mine. The stay is shaped perfect for the contour of my back. I can't wait to get it out on longer tips this spring. It fits me much better then my ULA circuit does.

How are you packing it? With my current pack (granite gear blaze ac 60) I just stuff my quilts in the bottom without shoving them in stuff sacks. I like this method as it fills the bottom of the pack nicely, builds a nice base to loft the rest of my gear as close to center of my back as possible, and doesn't crush the down. I suppose I could start using the stuff sacks if I need to. After all, isn't that the point of having down items?

I had the same problem with my circuit. Just wast that comfortable in it. Returned it. Elemental horizons looks like the perfect combo between gossamer gear and ula.

What all do you out in the outside pockets of the kalais?

Have you seen any durability issues? I know you havent put it through the paces yet, but I am wondering if you feel it will be reasonably durable. EH uses a lot of 70d whereas other brands of similar packs use more "advanced" materials. I did order mine with dyneema side pockets, hopefully the body will be fine.

It should arrive in a week or two I cant wait to see it!

Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    Have you seen any durability issues? I know you havent put it through the paces yet, but I am wondering if you feel it will be reasonably durable. EH uses a lot of 70d whereas other brands of similar packs use more "advanced" materials. I did order mine with dyneema side pockets, hopefully the body will be fine.

It should arrive in a week or two I cant wait to see it!
    I have been wondering the same thing about the durability. Although doing an all dyneema pack is a possibility.

I was thinking about doing this same with the side pockets. Would be interested in how it looks and performs. Possible pic when you get the pack?

I will post a picture when I get it!

Sweet. Thanks

Durability is something i question every time i buy new gear. I have not put the pack through the ropes yet, but it seams that it would hold well for a lightweight pack. I would not abuse it as much as a none light weight pack, but that goes for most all LW gear. I can't wait to see what shape mine is in this time next year.

Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    I will post a picture when I get it!

Here are a couple of picture requests, if possible...haha
    1. a picture of the pack fully loaded
    2. a picture of the pack on. its hard to get an idea of the size of the pack when there is nothing to compare it to, especially since most of the pictures of seen are of the pack by itself. ideally I would like to see a picture of the aquilo and kalais next to each other but I havent found it if it exists.
    3. a picture of the insides of the pack.

I sure would appreciate it! thanks archie!

That should not be a problem, except the one with the Kalais and the Aquillo wont be possible!

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

In response to some of the questions above:

IMAG0874.jpg
    Here's the Kalais kind-of fully loaded with the stay in. It doesn't have a sleeping pad in or on it, and I didn't fill it all the way to the top with bulk. But this is has 20 or so pounds of junk in it.

IMAG0875.jpg
    This is a close-up of the top of the pack. It might be hard to tell from the picture, but I'm trying to show how the thick 240d fabric (the black stuff) rides on the top of the aluminum stay, instead of the weaker 70d fabric (the red stuff). The 70d fabric is for the big fleshy exterior of the pack and doesn't cover any of the high-abrasion areas.

IMAG0877.jpg
    Different angle of the pack, now with a Z-lite lashed on.

IMAG0880.jpg
    Some random guy with the pack on in his funny civilized clothes and haircut. This guy is 5'10" and 180lb for scale.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++