WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The Doyle Under New Ownership

I read on the Facebooks that the Doyle in Duncannon, PA is under new ownership.

Owner didn't know what the AT was and is gearing towards pipeline workers.

Love it or hate it the Doyle has been an Icon of the AT and hopefully becomes an improvement to the community.

Congrats to Pat and Vic for the sell, they have been talking about wanting to retire for years now.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Good luck to the new owners. Hate to say it, but that place really needs to be torn down before it falls down.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Wish this had happened sooner. Passed by The Doyle on my thru this year because of the crazy, now ex, owner. Stayed in the dugout at the little league field instead. Nice sunrise.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." J.R.R. Tolkien
    -=POSSUM=- Rollin..

One of our favorite stops on the trail. We had two great meals and a ton of fun there,but clearly not a place for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Good luck to the new owners. Hate to say it, but that place really needs to be torn down before it falls down.
    Glad I stayed there back in 2015 to have that piece of the AT experience. But once is enough for my lifetime.

They could made a little extra $$$ by selling shirts saying "I survived at night at the Doyle".

"Owner didn't know what the AT was and is gearing towards pipeline workers."
    Pipeline workers?
    Ah-oh...
    When you get to those unexpected situations in life where it’s difficult to figure something out, just ask yourself, “What would MacGyver do?”
    See ya!
    Rickles McPickles

Images

I actually took my first, and so far, only, zero day at the Doyle a couple years ago. I actually enjoyed it - great food, great hosts, and lots of character. I'm glad to hear Pat and Vicky were finally able to retire.
    It's all good in the woods.

It should be put on the National Register of historic Places. This building is unique and now that the federal government opened the spigots and money is flowing like crazy, maybe they could find a few millions to renovate it and make a real hotel. It will be a great uplifting to that rundown town.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanD View Post
    It should be put on the National Register of historic Places. This building is unique and now that the federal government opened the spigots and money is flowing like crazy, maybe they could find a few millions to renovate it and make a real hotel. It will be a great uplifting to that rundown town.
    There are great historic tax credits for rehabbing historic structures. Developers will line up to do such a project if a business model exists. I unfortunately just do not see one. IMHO That rail line separating the town from the river ruins the town as an attraction and most likely flood plain issues exist.

I had a meal and a few beers at the Doyle in 2016. The food was good and the proprietors and fellow patrons friendly enough, but I'd read about the lodging horror stories so I moved on after that and camped in the woods somewhere across the river and up on the ridge (I was northbound).

It's a historic but neglected old building that either needs a wrecking ball or a big cash infusion.

Journal Entries

Looks like more news for the Doyle renovations. They state that they expect to continue to host thru hikers as part of their regular clientele. Though i suspect it will be more for the well healed thru hikers if they realize their plans of bringing, but time will tell.

https://www.pennlive.com/perry-count..._medium=social

Images

Glad to hear someone's bringing cash and redevelopment to Duncannon. The town could really use it. It's definitely a good thing for hikers as the town is right on the trail in the middle of what I believe is the longest road walk on the AT.
    It's all good in the woods.

The Doyle was the only hostel that I purified my water at.

That article is a feel good article but my guess is they need to throw a lot of money at major hidden systems like electric, water, roof, roof structure, plumbing and life safety. It needs an architect up front. It's not a DIY project. A whole lot of money gets spent before the rehab of interior spaces gets started.

horrible investment

Images

Not the best place I’ve ever stayed in on the trail!

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    ...and most likely flood plain issues exist.
    Yep, Vickey used to point to the top of the bar as to how high it got during their ownership, and the '36 flood was the whole top floor as I understand. The floodplain regulations are somewhat of a disincentive to renovation as if you put too much into it by rights needs to be brought more fully up to code (renovations as % of property value). It's somewhat peculiar how trashy the town is compared even to Newport (the next town west on the Juniata) that also has floodpain issues and doesn't have the trail.

Images

I stayed there in 2005 at the end of my section hike. I always kept an eye on the location of the fire exits, just in case. Also, one could cook ramen using the hot water from the shower - scalding doesn't begin to describe it. Still, I'm glad I had a chance to experience this Trail icon. It will be interesting to see what happens from here on out.
    Long-distance aspirations with short-distance feet.... :jump

Quote Originally Posted by foodbag View Post
    I stayed there in 2005 at the end of my section hike. I always kept an eye on the location of the fire exits, just in case. Also, one could cook ramen using the hot water from the shower - scalding doesn't begin to describe it. Still, I'm glad I had a chance to experience this Trail icon. It will be interesting to see what happens from here on out.
    my first stay in 86 was $11.52 for a room. there were no showers. just a claw hammer tub with a hose with a shower head attached. the bar opened at 7am and it would be busy with the folks that lived there

Thank God. That place is so interesting, and has so much potential. When I stayed there, on my thru-hike this year, I thought that if I ever won the lottery, it would be the most amazing project to buy that place and turn it into the sort of place it could be. I surely can't commit about my $35 room though. I'm glad I got to spend a couple nights there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++