WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Need Advice - Looking for decent Hiking Pants

Hello Everyone.

I'm so glad I found this forum and it is great to be here! So over the past few days I was lurking around and finally decided to register. Hopefully I can get some help here.

Due to the fact I'm from Georgia, I know the AT. So I tend to go on some short term trips, using Springer Mountain as my starting point. But this year I'd like to go on a one month trip to discover more of the path and more of myself.

Anyway, my plan is to start this June. I nearly got al my stuff together except some decent hiking pants. I mean I still own a cheap one, which I bought a a few yeas back. But I would like to get a proper one for this trip. So last weekend I did some research and checked out some known trusted shopping as well as fashion sites. And the sheer amount is just overwhelming. I can't really decide which one to pick.

But what I want is a type of hiking pants where I can zip off the legs. In my opinion there quite versatile. But I'm not sure about the material. Mostly it is a mix of nylon/polyester and spandex/elastane. But I would like to have a bit of cotton as well. My budget is about $60 to $80.

So can anybody here recommend a specific model or brand? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Walt.

For me it's the Cresta hiking pant from L.L.Bean. Not only have these pants been great for me but Bean's is a major supporter of the trail. As always if they prove problematic simply return them.

I'm not American, so I can't recommend any US stuff.
    After having used and worn out numerous clothes, I ended up in workers clothes. Less than half the price than stuff from the sports shops, same or better quality, lots of nice features, many designs that "cover being dirty".
    Only downside is, its not exactly according to recent fashion. But so far, nature did not complain.

You might look at REI or EMS for convertible pants. Lightweight, well inside your budget and fairly good in terms of wear (I have several of these pants and used them for years). Nice thing about these pant is the lower leggings can be removed (usually without having to remove footer) and they turn into shorts when the weather gets hot.

Images

REI Sahara zip off pants. No cotton, all nylon. Light weight, and very fast drying. I have a pair of the zip-offs and three pairs of the cargo pants (no zips). Love 'em.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    After having used and worn out numerous clothes, I ended up in workers clothes. Less than half the price than stuff from the sports shops, same or better quality, lots of nice features, many designs that "cover being dirty".
    Only downside is, its not exactly according to recent fashion. But so far, nature did not complain.
    I'll second this recommendation. My hiking pants are Dickies work pants. Mine are the traditional basic pant, 65% polyester, 35% cotton (OP requested some cotton), very hard to wear out (I'm trying!), dries quickly, deep pockets (a feature - not a requirement! ha ha). Although they don't zip-off to become shorts (another OP pref), I have found that not only did I almost never zip off the lower legs of convertible pants when I owned a pair (hassle - had to remove shoes too), I didn't like them as much as long pants when the bottoms weren't zipped off, because of the zip seam rubbing against my leg as I walked. YMMV. IMO it's better to carry a pair of lightweight running shorts for when shorts are needed/wanted.

Good luck and have fun -

I use nylon wind pants and shorts. These are much lighter than zip offs. I find that Walmart's $5 swim shorts work well for me.

I would recommend looking at a pair of Kühl pants -- their "Liberator" convertable pants. They are 77% nylon, 23% cotton. I bought a pair at REI on a whim, and thought I'd made a mistake. I didn't. These have turned into my primary hiking pants. Tough as nails, and the dry out very quickly. Caveats: they are a little warm in summer, and the "cargo" pockets are positioned on the front thigh -- really only good for maps or a guidebook, etc. But these things I have easily overlooked. These are good hiking pants.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Cool

WalterB,
    Until you know what you really like, want or need, these will work. They might even work long term. For $25 it's hard to go wrong.
    http://www.sierratradingpost.com/dak...F#specsSection
    or
    http://www.sierratradingpost.com/dak...pants~d~357%2F
    Pay attention to the inseam length. Too long is never good.
    I've been doing business with Sierra Trading Post since forever. They are good people.
    Good luck.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

read this: http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics...t-hiking-pants

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Look at RailRiders, especially their ones treated with Insect Shield. Section Hiker has a review of the Eco Mesh model. They are pricy but well made.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    REI Sahara zip off pants. No cotton, all nylon. Light weight, and very fast drying. I have a pair of the zip-offs and three pairs of the cargo pants (no zips). Love 'em.
    Ditto. Or the Columbia Zip Offs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

I have been using REI Sahara zip off pants for years now. They are well constructed and dry quickly.
    Blackheart

I own 4 pairs of zip off pants, 2 Columbia and 1 each Mountain Hardware and LL Bean.
    I've never used the zippers.
    That doesn't make me a bad person.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

I have too many pairs of the fancy name brand pants. They're all fine. The pair I use the most are a pair of relatively cheap White Sierra. Lightest, most breathable, quickest drying, most resistant to chafing.

https://www.amazon.com/White-Sierra-...vertible+pants

Journal Entries
    Images

Cool Another suggestion

Like you, my early choice for hiking pants was nylon convertible. After a couple of hikes, I found (1) I almost never wore them long, (2) removing the long part required taking off my boots, causing me use up a good ten minutes of time to just unzip the pants, and (3) I never felt comfortable wearing nylon. So I started wearing nylon shorts, at which point I found (1) my legs got attacked by insects, (2) I still didn't feel comfortable in nylon, and (3) my pants didn't last long. I solved (1) by wearing knee-length socks with permethrin & DEET. I solved (2) by wearing cotton. I solved (3) by wearing work shorts from Duluth Trading Co.
    http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/m...s-for-men.aspx
    The pants are heavy cotton, so they are NOT good for wet environments. But they are comfortable and seem almost bullet-proof.

I won't say this approach for everyone, or even anyone but myself. But at least consider it.

Prana Zion Stretch. Nothing better. Took me 2200 miles.

X2 on Prana. The zip offs are great, most comfortable pants I own. Check backcountry/steepandcheap

Adding my 2cents... with the time of your trip, why pants? Short shorts is the way to go, waaaay more comfortable. And not to mention way lighter. I didn't carry pants on my thru after the Smokies

GAME '16 4/18/16-8/12/16
    Trailjournal: http://www.trailjournals.com/jjdontplay
    Blog (Post Trail Gear Reviews): https://keeppushingon.wordpress.com/

REI makes convertible pants with a vertical zipper and they're removable over boots and shoes.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Bansko View Post
    Prana Zion Stretch. Nothing better. Took me 2200 miles.
    I wear Zions every day! I even have a pair of Zion shorts.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++