WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Is this pack big enough

I just bought a Macpac pursuit classic, for my partner, it is 50 litres, or if you prefer 3050 cu in. Do you think that this pack has a large enough volume for a thru hike? Did other people get away with such a small bag?

It all depends on what else you are bringing along. Best advice is to buy you pack last.

Images

lol, I would offer the exact opposite advice - buying your pack first forces you to leave non-essentials at home. 50 liters is plenty, but get your total pack weight under 30 lbs or it will be a pain to haul around. Ziplocs are your best friend.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

It's more about WHAT you plan on carrying than the size of the pack. Obviously there is a practical lower limit to pack size in terms of a thru-hike but from my experience, 3000+ cu in is MORE than adequate presuming all your stuff fits inside and the packs carries comfortably.

I hiked the AT in 2003 with a 2600 cu in pack and had all the room I needed.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

If an outfitter store is truly one who wants to help you, they'll let you fill up a pack at the store with the essential gear you'll need (even clothes off the sales rack). This will give you an idea of what size pack you'll want and then you can research from there.

I needed a 5000cc pack but I carried a forge and anvil so I could suppliment the cost of my hike by blacksmithing in trail towns. In 2000 Tuba Man hiked with a tuba but it didn't fit in his pack and he carried it seperatly. At Neils Gap they have seen hikers carrying scuba tanks, pertable tv sets, china plates, you name it. Let your pack fit your needs and visa versa. ( I did carry a 50 pound pack but didn't bring my forge)
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]Don't fret the petty things, &
    Don't pet the sweaty things[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT][I][/I]
    (I'm moxie00 on my apple-moxie on my PC)

Quote Originally Posted by Moxie00 View Post
    I needed a 5000cc pack but I carried a forge and anvil so I could suppliment the cost of my hike by blacksmithing in trail towns. In 2000 Tuba Man hiked with a tuba but it didn't fit in his pack and he carried it seperatly. At Neils Gap they have seen hikers carrying scuba tanks, pertable tv sets, china plates, you name it. Let your pack fit your needs and visa versa. ( I did carry a 50 pound pack but didn't bring my forge)
    You put 50 pounds in a 5000cc pack? That's a weight density of 10 lbs/L.
    "Space and time are not conditions in which we live; they are simply modes in which we think," Albert Einstein

Not big enough for me.

Big enough for others.

Depends on what you carry.

It may be too BIG. Dam!!! I stop carrying anything that big for nearly 20 years, unless the Army made me. You will be fine. 3000 cb/in is more than enough room to thru-hike.

Wolf

Images

It's bigger than some of my packs, and smaller than some of my packs. It's certainly big enough for this time of year. Southbounders can carry smaller packs anyway, FWIW, if they start around Father's day.

That's the size pack I'm aiming for on my next big hike. I think you'll be fine. And I agree with PJ -- having the pack and knowing the space limitations will make you consider what you need versus what you want.

It's often been said that whatever size pack you have, you'll find a way to fill it. This way, when you do fill it it won't be unbearably heavy.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Default appreciation

Thanks so much for your feed back, so many of my gear solutions have been found from the great advice that so many people have given me here on WB

++ New Posts ++