WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Stratus Trail Stove, Wood stove

http://www.trailstove.com

Do any of you use this stove? And if so how do you like it & how did it work for you. I made a gasified wood stove that works great and I’m happy with. But I also like simple reliable things that have few or no moving parts. Their web site says its stainless steel and light weight. With no fan or batteries it looks like it may be worth playing with.
    It’s only $24.00

There is a video of this stove being used on you tube if you want to see it in action. I personally dont have one but i do own a bush buddy and like it very much for a wood stove.

That tube thing looks like a lot of work, I would just want to light it, feed it sticks through the hole in the side and cook, not blow puffs of air into it.

Journal Entries
    Images

Bob S: I have this stove and have only used it as a alcohol stove. Worked just fine. I imagine suing it with wood would be great. when i used it before I was on the AT. I plan on using it as wood this next summer for a month on AT. It is light and fuel is never hard to find. Have you tried it out yet? As wood? I hate to admit it, but I have not even tried it out! I know what I'll do. It is below freezing here in West TX. I will try it out tomorrow. In back of our yard where I used to split wood there is a lot of chips and etc. I'll come back tomorrow and let you know. I'll cook something. Fun. -SunnyWalker
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

I have not tried it. Over the last 5 years I have really gotten into alcohol stoves. Last year I started playing with a few homemade wood stoves and also bought a Thermette. I notice with the wood stoves I no longer care about fuel consumption. It opens up lots of cooking possibilities when you don’t care if you burn up fuel.

Journal Entries
    Images

Yes, one attraction. When I was on the AT in GA this last July I fully intended to use the ST as a wood stove. I had the alcohol as a "backup" so to speak. Well, each night I was so exhausted that I just went to alcohol. But this was my first week on the AT, getting into the swing of things so to speak. I think when I return I will be able to achieve this goal. No worries about fuel are attractive to me also. And I must admit when I was a kid in BSA we had made something line this out of the #10 can and used them. Easy, good, effective. I remember picking up wood chips and twigs. worked well. -SunnyWalker
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)

Journal Entries
    Images

I tried this stove out finally. I had only used it's alcohol aspect. I have decided its alright. When you use the alcohol stove part you place the little dealie inside the Stratus and Whala-perfect wind breat like a Caldera Cone-and AT ONLY ABOUT $20.00!!!! I like it! (Stratus)

Voila is a French word. I don't have the accent to go over the a, but it means, basically, there it is or that's it.
    Glad you like the stove.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

The Stratus is a great wood stove. The gentler heat means you can really cook on it. And it's easy to learn to keep a low fire going for a true simmer. The tube is really an important part of this set-up because if you've ever cooked with really small-dimension wood you know how easy it is for the fire to die way down. With other stoves this means you may have to start all over. But the tube allows you to blow even a few remaining coals to high enough heat to get some added sticks burning again. The one minor consideration with this stove is that you have to have a separate stuff sack for this stove and your cooking pots as you will be dealing with soot. The major reason I've stopped using this or any wood stove when the forest is very dry is that if you get a sudden wind you can easily have hot embers blow out of the cone. This happened to me last Summer and I was fortunate not to have any embers catch dry leaves or duff on fire. It was enough of a scare that I've gone back to white gas, but with an Optimus Nova stove. This is the first white gas stove I've ever owned that really does simmer and I never have to worry about blowing embers.

Images

I've got a Stratus Trail Stove. I'm not all that impressed with it. Bulky and I suspect prone to damage.

If anyone wants to offer me $20 and shipping shoot me a PM.

Images

x2 what two speed said. Better off making your own Heini or Titanium one.

Journal Entries
    Images

I don't see what could damage it. It's just a cone and no moving parts. Just as simple as many other wood stoves. Works good for me so far. The breathing tube is really neat.
    -SunnyWalker

Chiming in here - I've got one, and it works really well. The only "trick" one really needs with this stove is to have some decent tinder and never use wood thicker than your finger. I've seen some claim that they had to sit with the stove and work the blow tube like a human bellows -- that's just not my experience. There's no moving parts, and I think it could take more of a beating than anything else I hike with - including my feet. I've also seen people critique it for being sooty/ putting soot on pots...

But that sort of fella doesn't really get "the woods".

Images

This may be a really dumb question but I gotta ask....can i get an opinion of doing a thru hike with a wood burning stove. The idea of not carrying fuel and having such a light inexpensive stove is really appealing but I don't know if it would be practical for a thru hike. If anyone has done it I would really like your reviews...I read a book about a woman who thru hiked and she used a wood stove...I am just curious to know if it is more of a hassle than it is worth.

It can be a hassle. It's not as quick as other stoves to get going. Thats not so much a problem at the end of the day, but in the morning it can slow you right down if you need to cook breakfist. Because of the smoke, you can't cook in shelters so if its raining out, that can be a problem. I end up taking along an acohol stove for a back up if I need something hot *NOW* or when conditions aren't good for a wood stove.

On the plus side, any shelter which has a fire pit has pleanty of little sticks to use and often many of these end up under the shetler roof so thier dry. You do need to carry some kind of tinder. Cotton balls soaked in Vasaline I hear works well. Farther north, birch bark is great and can be picked up along the trail.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I end up taking along an acohol stove for a back up if I need something hot *NOW* or when conditions aren't good for a wood stove.

It seems like alot of the wood stoves double as an alcohol stove....am I correct??

I don't think there is any way one could make a wood stove to burn either/or with out a sperate burner for the alcohol. The wood stove simply becomes a pot stand.

The Stratus stove looks to be nice design, the only problem I have with it is it's kinda bulky so will take up valuable space inside the pack. Though, I suppose no worse than a jet boil. And it looks like one could store the back up alcohol stove and a small fuel bottle inside the wood stove cone so all that open space isn't totally wasted.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Moccasin, 2008 Thru-hiker TrippinBTM's Avatar

yeah, the wood stove becomes a wind screen for your alcohol stove set-up. You may need to modify the thing, though; add some new holes for tent-stake pot-stands.

Last year a guy I hiked a bit with had a homemade wood stove, made of a coffee can. I saw it in action many times, it seemed to work well. It convinced me; I made one myself a week ago, and yes, it works... in my backyard at least. It has not been trail-tested.

I made mine so that my (homemade) pot and cozy, and my mug, nest inside it, along with backup alcohol stove, lighter, etc. Depending on what space is left, I'll probably stuff some other stuff in there too, like a bandana, tea bags and whatnot.

There's no reason not to do this on a thru, saves you money and weight. Do have the alcohol stove (with a very small amount of alcohol with you, use those tiny 4oz water bottles) for the situations slo-go'en mentioned, though. Just think, you'll become a freakin PRO at firebuilding, you'll impress all your friends.

And the vaseline trick works well. You just need a tiny dab of it on some lint, cotton, or paper balled up. I used this myself a few times just for regular campfires.

Images

When I was a kid me and my dad used a MSR whisperlite but the thing was not easy to light (I think it may have been an operator problem though). The idea of depending on a wood fire seems better to me. Now I have to figure out the alcohol stove deal. I have never even seen one, except on this website. Could anyone reccomend a good alcohol stove for a beginner?? Or does it even matter?

Section Hiker - 339.8 miles - I'm gettin' there! papa john's Avatar
    Images

An easy one to make is the J Falk catfood can stove.

http://www.backpacking.net/makegear/...ove/index.html

You don't even need to have a cat.
    Papa John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++