WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Justifiable homicide

Yay finally a good guy wins . Apparently over the weekend at deadman campground in tusilumne Colorado a couple sleeping in their tent a stranger enters their tent in the middle of the night the husband wakes up to him on top of his wife screaming a struggle ensues and good guy shoots bad guy. Entering a mans tent is like entering their home.

Images

Nothing to celebrate.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Incident occurred at Deadman's Campground near Kennedy Meadows in Stanislaus National Forest in Tuolumne County, California, not Colorado. Police are still investigating. No, it doesn't sound like anyone will be charged at this point. But as Rain Man notes, killing someone, even if you have to in self-defense, is nothing to celebrate. https://www.sacbee.com/news/state/ca...232607617.html

Sorry for the bad info on location. And I concur nothing to celebrate. I apologize for coming off so cailluss. But this seems to be happening a lot lately and if it had to happen I'm just glad the good guys won. Being prepared has its benefits, just saying.

Images

Assuming the story is correct, it sounds justifiable. However, there's always a chance the story is slanted a little. Like if it was a guy who was just trying to get into the wrong tent (stoned, drunk, etc...) and had no ill intentions but didn't get a chance to recognize his mistake. I know there are lots of strong opinions on both sides, but it pays to keep an open mind.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mateozzz View Post
    Assuming the story is correct, it sounds justifiable. However, there's always a chance the story is slanted a little. Like if it was a guy who was just trying to get into the wrong tent (stoned, drunk, etc...) and had no ill intentions but didn't get a chance to recognize his mistake. I know there are lots of strong opinions on both sides, but it pays to keep an open mind.
    Good post.

I've heard that many or most times, even when there is a clear cut case of justifiable homicide, the innocent person is still put through hell legally, financially and emotionally in the aftermath of the incident.

in response to "Orthofingers" - that depends in large part on what the laws are in the state where the incident happened. Not every state has a "stand your ground" law, and yes, if authorities find your story (or the evidence) doesn't quite match up with what happened, you could be charged, if not with a homicide, then something less, like involuntary manslaughter.

Just an opinion, but if you are going to carry a weapon, and you are going to decide to use it, you often have only seconds in which to use your judgement on a situation, and you better hope your judgement is a good call. Homicide is permanent.

This is several years old but it describes the code in California at that time.I am hopeful no charges will be filed based on the limited information we have. https://www.wklaw.com/california-self-defense-laws/

Quote Originally Posted by Trailweaver View Post
    Not every state has a "stand your ground" law,
    Most states with "stand your ground" laws distinguish between "stand your ground" and self defense. I believe all state have some version of a self defense law. On the surface this appears to be a self defense case. I'm sure more details will come out in time.

Active self protection. It's a huge responsibility knowing you possess the power to take a life, like stated before you really have to be sure. If we're getting the correct story this poor guy wakes up at 2am to his girlfriend screaming and some stranger on top of her .he probably screams get out the guy starts fighting and he reaches for equalizer. And if he was drunk or on drugs or both they can be extremely difficult to deal with.

Why speculate? Eventually more info will come out.

Gun owner. Have my LTC. Regular backpacker.

I see no good guy or bad guy here yet. Could just be a case if mistaken tent that escalated to deadly levels due to the presence of a handgun. Fortunate the woman or other campers weren't struck.

I'd recommend waiting for a full report to draw any conclusions one way or the other.

So what is the proper procedure for reacting to an incident like this?Inquiring minds really want to know.......

Live through it.......

And it seems to me this gentleman handled it the proper way. He stopped the threat , no charges that we know of. Hike on!

Firing off a gun in a tent with three people inside sounds traumatizing. Let alone killing someone. Definitely a gruesome, life altering event.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Yes it certainly does. But I think inviting him out for smores and a version of cumeby yah and talking about our feelings was not an option at this point.

I can't form an opinion on this without more information. Is it possible that the intruder merely made a mistake and entered the wrong tent? Could the man who did the shooting have resolved the situation with less force?
    Shutterbug

Sure. All the details aren't there. One observation from my point of view (background in firearms and training). An individual who is obviously sleeping with presumably a handgun (did they state what it was?) at the ready is one of two things. Someone trained with weapons and has training on threats. He sleeps with his weapon every night. Or two... a more common gun totin, prideful individual. Usually number two gets excited because hes going camping! And can now justify bringing the .357 to bed because they're in bear country! Otherwise the wife makes him keep it in the safe. When confronted by a threat. Freaks out. Pulls a gun. And Shoots.

Lots of details missing.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++