WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Try a different trail. Plenty of options out there if you want more solitude. Plus, the locals you will meet along other trails will be extremely helpful and interested in sharing with you about your hike because they are not inundated year after year.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Klynn View Post
    To me, it just seems like it will be anti-climactic to finish the trail anywhere but Katahdin at the end, and I'm having a hard time giving that idea up. I'm contemplating everything that has been said here, and I think there are some great suggestions.
    Well, Katahdin is a dramatic ending, but a 5-6 month thru hike is composed of much much more than the ending.
    Other factors that let you enjoy your overall hike more, may be more important than that tiny 1 day ending.

You can always leave it for last, and make a special trip. Its just a plane ticket and couple of cheap bus rides.
    Thats what many section hikers do.

To me, it just seems like it will be anti-climactic to finish the trail anywhere but Katahdin at the end, and I'm having a hard time giving that idea up.
    Then don't. Finish where you feel is best. If you are going to change something about your hike that you feel this strongly about based on what others do, you are going to drive yourself foolish. Plan the hike in a logical way and don't worry about what others do. I have felt completely alone in a crowd many a time. You only make yourself part of the crowd if you choose to be part of the crowd. People hike at different paces. You are not stuck to anyone anywhere, unless you allow it. I have been in the Pemi's when hundreds have been there. I hiked alone for most of it. When I slept, I slept alone amongst many tents. Don't let the crowds define your hike. HYOH. That includes ignoring my advice too if it is not helpful.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Since the majority of the people who attempt thru hikes don't even make it out of GA, it should get pretty thin with people soon into your hike. In addition, if you start mid week, you probably would avoid a large bubble. Lastly, there is no reason you have to stay near the shelters. There are plenty of camp spots marked in AWOL's guide that would allow you more solitude.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Quote Originally Posted by Turk6177 View Post
    Since the majority of the people who attempt thru hikes don't even make it out of GA, it should get pretty thin with people soon into your hike. In addition, if you start mid week, you probably would avoid a large bubble. Lastly, there is no reason you have to stay near the shelters. There are plenty of camp spots marked in AWOL's guide that would allow you more solitude.
    The herd that leaves between March and April doesn't really thin out until around HF in my experience. I'm sure plenty quit in GA but there are a whole lot of people out there these days.

Images

We have hosted thousands of hikers over the past 8 years. I never heard anyone say the northbound bubble ruined their AT experience. Yes you will have some overcrowded shelter areas in Georgia in the springtime. But the positives of your journey will far outweigh the negatives.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

I'm just chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by JaketheFake View Post
    That does not say much for a place when it is missed only for its regional fast food chain... But then again, that's missing Deer Park. Not exactly the bright shining star if Tejas.
    I was kind of teasing. I do miss Whataburger since there are none in Arkansas, but seriously, I'm not sorry to have left that whole Gulf Coast Region because of the weather. Though we have some heat and humidity here, it's nothing like the Houston area. I lived in it my whole life, and I was more than ready to move to a place that as four seasons.

I'm just chicken.

That's definitely a possibility. I'm still weighing all of my options. Part of the challenge of the hike (and one of my goals) is to face tough challenges and rely on myself, rather than leaning on anyone. I've been leaning on people (and been led by or following others) for most of my life, and this is my chance to grow out of it...make my own schedule, figure out how to deal with problems myself, etc. Does that make sense? No offense, because that's my tendency...to 'lean'. Maybe I took what you said the wrong way? I appreciate the offer, and I'll think about it if I decide to go South. I'm really worried about the river crossings, and don't want to be alone when I do them.

Images

I was kind of teasing. I do miss Whataburger since there are none in Arkansas, but seriously, I'm not sorry to have left that whole Gulf Coast Region because of the weather. Though we have some heat and humidity here, it's nothing like the Houston area. I lived in it my whole life, and I was more than ready to move to a place that as four seasons.

i understand. I have been in Houston area about 30 years. There are some great features to this city and area. I really kind of like the heat also. I am looking forward to my hike and spending time east of the Mississippi ...

I'm just chicken.

No, it's good advice, and the more I've thought about it, I think it IS more important for me to summit Katahdin at the end, than avoid the crowds. Though I've read lots of books, I really have no idea what it will really be like on the trail until I get there, but I've gathered lots of great suggestions here to deal with it. I'm feeling much better about it, so though it might have been a trite question, I'm glad I put it out there and have been able to hear everyone's point of view on it. It has been helpful.

I'm just chicken.

Thank you so much to everyone who commented, including the ones I did not address individually. I've been given some great advice, and it has helped me a lot!

I'm really worried about the river crossings, and don't want to be alone when I do them.
    I am unaware of any super dangerous river crossing. Of course I only have New England experience. Here us a bit of advice on that. First and foremost, do not be afraid to get wet. Getting wet is often the safest option. Rock hopping can be hazardous. Do not seek the calmest water. Calm water often means deep. Think volume of water through area. If the spot is calm and narrow in one area and rough and wide nearby, the calm area is very deep. I seek wide predictable areas to cross. The East Branch of the Pleasant River (I think that is the name, it is the one before Gulf Hagas I am referring to) is a great river to YouTube for an example of what I am talking about. It is wide and rough, but seldom more than a couple feet deep. If a crossing is deep and swift, it will likely have a rope to assist you. Face upriver a bit and lean upriver a bit as you cross. Use a trekking pole as a feeler ahead to gauge depth. Have everything in a trash bag liner in your pack in case you go over. Make sure to unbuckle your hip belt before crossing swift spots or deep spots. Again, don't think twice about getting wet, possibly to your hips. It will be okay. Hopping across dangerous spots because you don't want to get wet can be a bad idea.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Well, Katahdin is a dramatic ending, but a 5-6 month thru hike is composed of much much more than the ending.
    Other factors that let you enjoy your overall hike more, may be more important than that tiny 1 day ending.

You can always leave it for last, and make a special trip. Its just a plane ticket and couple of cheap bus rides.
    Thats what many section hikers do.
    I like this post. I live in Maine and have climbed Katahdin numerous times. Finishing on Katahdin or not wouldn't be an issue for me. It is an awesome peak yet there are plenty of other awesome peaks and places in Maine as well as other states along the AT. Mt. K has a mystique about it. Wild, remote, no roads to the summit. The end of the trip is bound to be a mix of elation and sadness that the adventure is over. The are places on the AT in Maine that have brought tears to my eyes or have literally taken my breath away. They don't always have to be the greatest mountain to be amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had all the exact same issues when planning for my now finished thru-hike this year. So we decided to start on 12/30, and we didn't have any issues with people until reaching Vermont. Once in Vermont the trail was crowded with people hiking the LT, and speedsters who were trying to finish in under 100 days.

Starting that early in the season isn't for everyone. Plus some people on here will most likely tell you you're stupid for starting then as well, and that you won't make it either. We started on 12/30, and finished on 7/9. Took our time, and spent nearly a month off the trail.
    AT15
    OT15

"...I was more than ready to move to a place that as four seasons."

I bet you'd enjoy Christmas at my house in Hawaii where we decorate a Christmas palm tree and rosemary topiary and serve Mango Margaritas and Pina coladas and grilled pineapple and roast Breadfruit over a emu, and, if the conditions are right, even go snowboarding and build a snowman on the beach. Yes, it snows in Hawaii.

I'm just chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    I am unaware of any super dangerous river crossing. Of course I only have New England experience. Here us a bit of advice on that. First and foremost, do not be afraid to get wet. Getting wet is often the safest option. Rock hopping can be hazardous. Do not seek the calmest water. Calm water often means deep. Think volume of water through area. If the spot is calm and narrow in one area and rough and wide nearby, the calm area is very deep. I seek wide predictable areas to cross. The East Branch of the Pleasant River (I think that is the name, it is the one before Gulf Hagas I am referring to) is a great river to YouTube for an example of what I am talking about. It is wide and rough, but seldom more than a couple feet deep. If a crossing is deep and swift, it will likely have a rope to assist you. Face upriver a bit and lean upriver a bit as you cross. Use a trekking pole as a feeler ahead to gauge depth. Have everything in a trash bag liner in your pack in case you go over. Make sure to unbuckle your hip belt before crossing swift spots or deep spots. Again, don't think twice about getting wet, possibly to your hips. It will be okay. Hopping across dangerous spots because you don't want to get wet can be a bad idea.
    I really appreciate this advice. I'm definitely filing this info away in my brain. I can't recall ever having to ford a river for any reason, so I know absolutely nothing about it, except for the few things I've read in books about people who have hiked the Appalachian Trail. Reading about it is not the same as actually experiencing it. I recall a few crossings in the books that sounded treacherous and kind of deep. Maybe it was a rainy month or something? Or maybe they crossed in the wrong place that you advised against based on 'calm-looking' vs. 'rough and wide'?

I'm not inherently afraid of rivers or water...or even getting wet, but I would imagine my initial instinct would be to try to keep as much dry as possible, so I'm going to remember what you said about not being afraid to get wet. My husband and I use to go wade fishing a lot in the bays near Galveston. What was waist-high for him was shoulder or chest high for me. You just don't have much control over swells in the bay when the water is that high on you. They would lift me off my feet sometimes. Swells are different to rushing rivers. If the rivers are not that high, hopefully I'll be okay. I'm probably worrying about something I shouldn't be, and I feel much better hearing others' experiences with it (and the tips and advice, too)....so thank you.

I'm just chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    "...I was more than ready to move to a place that as four seasons."

I bet you'd enjoy Christmas at my house in Hawaii where we decorate a Christmas palm tree and rosemary topiary and serve Mango Margaritas and Pina coladas and grilled pineapple and roast Breadfruit over a emu, and, if the conditions are right, even go snowboarding and build a snowman on the beach. Yes, it snows in Hawaii.
    Interesting. No, I had no idea that it snows in Hawaii.

...and I thought it was unique that we would sometimes be wearing shorts on Christmas Day in Houston. Can't imagine decorating a Palm Tree. :-) Maybe the key is to embrace what you have, where you are. I'm getting better at this as I grow older, and it's one of the things that I hope the trail will teach me even more while I'm out there.

I'm just chicken.

Boots and Backpacks: I'm going to check out your trail journal. :-)

I'm just chicken.

I can see the truth in this. Thank you for pointing it out. I have really appreciated reading all points of view.

I'm just chicken.

The Appalachian Trail is the one that is calling to me. I don't just want to hike a trail...I want to hike the Appalachian trail. :-) I would imagine that the AT hiking experience will whet my appetite for other trails, though, when I'm finished.

I fear that my first post came off wrong...like I'm whining and complaining or expecting to make the trail what I want it to be. From what I gather... part of making the adventure a success is adapting to what the trail throws your way. I want to do that. I just got spooked seeing a scene on the first day of the trail that looked sort of like...well...did you ever see that viral video of the wave pool in China? (Okay, I'm exaggerating a little.) I just wasn't expecting that much of a crowd.

I feel much better about things having had everyone's input and advice...so thank you all.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++