WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Trekking Pole question?

Hey guys, I was looking at ordering some black diamond poles. I would like the alpines but they are a little over my gift card budget. There is a set of the z poles I could get. Here's the question. Would a z pole 110cm be the same height as setting another black diamond pole on 110? My brother has a set of flick locks that I could use to see which size of the z poles I need. I think this will work but wanted to double check with some of you that might have both. It's probably as simple as 110 = 110, if so please don't laugh at me too hard.

I have no concrete support for this, but I've been under the impression that 110=110.

Section Hiker

I have no experience with the Z poles, but I'd think they'd be a lot less versatile than a flick lock pole--if you can swing them. For example, can you ever see yourself using them for a tarp, tarptent or other shelter? I have the BD Trail Ergo. Love them.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I had a pair of z-lock poles... they broke in less than 50 miles of hiking, and BD not only didn't back them, they said it was my fault for hiking with ultralight equipment... IMHO, your gift card is better used with Leki poles.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    I had a pair of z-lock poles... they broke in less than 50 miles of hiking, and BD not only didn't back them, they said it was my fault for hiking with ultralight equipment... IMHO, your gift card is better used with Leki poles.
    Sadly I've heard this from several people, both that the z poles are terribly flimsy and that BD doesn't back it's products. I have a pair of Black Damond Contour Eliptic trekking poles, they're heavier but they're bulletproof and I highly recommend them. Plus according to the link below their price has been reduced.

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/...60000ALL1.html

That said if I had to buy a new pair of trekking poles right now, I would consider Leki's because of their customer service and how well they stand behind their products.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

That's what you get for using them for their intended purpose.

Wow thanks for the replies. CS makes a big difference on what to buy. I'll look at the lekis or stick with the flick loks. Yes I do use my poles for setting my tarp in porch mode fairly often.

Images

I have had my z poles for 15 months with zero problems and I am 5'8" and 210 lbs, so I do put some stress on them for sure! Lol

This. Exact same story.

Edit: Technically it was 50 miles for one pole and 80 miles for the second pole. The service rep from BD was very unkind. In contrast, REI was wonderful and took them back. I'm glad I went through them.

I had a different pair of BD trekking poles and there were bomb proof. But with their terrible customer service I will not be going through them again. Leki poles are great. I like the corklite. SpeedLock is the way to go.
    Last edited by Meriadoc; 01-12-2014 at 01:59.
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

-

Quote Originally Posted by Meriadoc View Post
    This. Exact same story.

Edit: Technically it was 50 miles for one pole and 80 miles for the second pole. The service rep from BD was very unkind. In contrast, REI was wonderful and took them back. I'm glad I went through them.

I had a different pair of BD trekking poles and there were bomb proof. But with their terrible customer service I will not be going through them again. Leki poles are great. I like the corklite. SpeedLock is the way to go.
    this is no longer REI policy- your experience may vary

I bought some BD z-poles last January and did the AZT and half of the CT with them (about 1,000 miles). They held up fine. I'm 6'2" and 165 hiking weight.

I was doing an overnight hike a few weekends ago and one broke. I emailed BD and they agreed to replace it. No hassle or fuss and all they wanted was a picture of the broken pole. The CS rep lectured me a little about being hard on my gear and having too heavy of a pack (his assumption! I had no more than 15 lbs. on me), but if a little lecture is all that is required to get a warranty replacement, I can live with that.

I have used the same pair of Leki for seventeen years. Every year at Trail Days, Leki reworks them puts on some new carbide tips and cleans up the internal works for free. I only had to replace the carbide tip once on my thru in Kent, just a great product with super customer service. swamp dawg

Images

huh? I've got at least 500 miles on my Z-poles - I really like them - they are a little difficult in folding now days (they might need cleaning) but I'm a fan.
    If you use a real Outfitter Store and don't just buy stuff on-line, you can have the store (the Black Diamond Dealer) take care of dealing with the company
    for you. I do this a lot. I work with Sunrift Adventures in Travelers Rest, SC. They have mail dropped me stuff all over and take whatever junk I send
    back to them in boxes and make it good. You also support local businesses in this way.
    I'm always amazed that people will go into an outfitter store and try stuff on and look at shoes and packs and such and then buy it on-line to save maybe $20
    bucks! This f^&Ks over the local business and screws them too when they need service. If you ASK! usually an outfitter will give you a discount too if you
    are making a major purchase!!

Section Hiker

If you haven't picked up anything yet, REI Outlet has some poles on closeout at great prices. Just picked up a pair of BD Trail Back to replace my son's, $57 for the pair.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    If you use a real Outfitter Store and don't just buy stuff on-line, you can have the store (the Black Diamond Dealer) take care of dealing with the company
    for you.
    Unfortunately, this isn't always the case. I purchased my Z-poles from a very reputable "real" outfitter, one that I have done plenty of business with for years. No help dealing with BD. Also no longer my favorite "real" outfitter!

I would Leki, I have had good experiences with their Customer Service.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    this is no longer REI policy- your experience may vary
    Yes it is. REI has a limit of one year. But they guarantee satisfaction. This is not a case of them wearing out. This was clearly a case of a defective product. I bought them halfway through a thru hike and they broke less than a week later. I took good care of them too.
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

I have posted before about bad experiences with the Z poles. I am a fan of the other BD poles, but not those. Either BD or Leki flick locks, and you are unlikely to go wrong.

Hey guys thanks for the advice and feedback. I'll check the outlet and plan on sticking with flick loks or lekis.

I have the black diamond contour ellipticals and they have been pretty tough. Some people have claimed that they don't have lateral strength because of their shape. I have heard complaints from some people that they don't have lateral strength because of their shape. I've had no problems though.

Ijust got some leki's and the straps are head and shoulders above the BD's. I also have some REI poles and prefer the straps on those as well over the BD's. The leki straps are the Cadillac of straps, the straps do the work and are important to me.

I really like the solid feel of the BD poles, a BD pole with leki straps would be perfection.

++ New Posts ++