WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: No zeros

Thanks map man. Looks like I have an up hill battle. I love a good chanalge, looks like iv found one. And like I said before it doesn't happen I will sill enjoy the trail knowing it won.

I would say plan no zeros, and never two in a row, but don't beat yourself up.
    Always focus on what you are achieving, not where you think you are falling short.

No zeros can be done, but once you get to say Damascus its pretty hard to resist not staying overnight there...especially if you get there and Trail Days is going on.

Originally Posted by Don H
    The question you might want to ask yourself is why are you thru-hiking? And why the hurry?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Ditto.

In my section hiking, the experience is more in the people that I meet than in the trail I've hiked. How many people will be able to keep up with you?

Otoh, if you view this as an athletic event and that is how you get your giggles, by all means do it while you are young, and you may be inspired to do it "like everyone else" a second time and, as I like to say "Experience the experience".
    Whatever you do, enjoy it enough to share the joy with others.

once again HYOH hypocrits..

some people aren't lazy sitting in camp until 10am.. some aren't lazy who stop at camp by 3pm after hiking 8 miles. some aren't slow and out of shape who can't do 15-25mi/day. some would rather see 10 overlooks than stare at brown rocks longer.

sounds nice in reverse doesn't it.. except it's almost never said because fast hikers RARELY EVER criticize how slower hikers hike or want to hike.

Journal Entries
    Images

Seriously Jake GIVE IT A REST!!!! Great Luck Squireel!!! Go For it!!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    Seriously Jake GIVE IT A REST!!!! Great Luck Squireel!!! Go For it!!
    no. when people tell someone to slow down even in the SPEED HIKING forum.. there is a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by jakedatc View Post
    no. when people tell someone to slow down even in the SPEED HIKING forum.. there is a problem.
    Sis you do a zero in Damascus during your thru-hike?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Sis you do a zero in Damascus during your thru-hike?
    Did you do a zero in Damascus during your thru-hike?

Need to re-paint that s key.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Did you do a zero in Damascus during your thru-hike?

Need to re-paint that s key.
    Ah, you're all a bunch of diddied! :-)

Squireel.. Let me say simply.. there is no way you or anyone else is going to thru hike a 2200 mile trail such as the AT without one single zero day. You will need rest, time to resupply, maybe wait for mail drop etc. This is absolutely nuts. Zero days ARE mostly spend in towns, not camp. Not only is it part of the experience, but you need the time for chores. based on my experienced.. the yahoos that did 30 mile days lost the time they gained by taking MORE zero days in town.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    Squireel.. Let me say simply.. there is no way you or anyone else is going to thru hike a 2200 mile trail such as the AT without one single zero day. You will need rest, time to resupply, maybe wait for mail drop etc. This is absolutely nuts. Zero days ARE mostly spend in towns, not camp. Not only is it part of the experience, but you need the time for chores. based on my experienced.. the yahoos that did 30 mile days lost the time they gained by taking MORE zero days in town.
    David,
    you are flat wrong! First saying that nobody could hike a long trail without a zero is wrong since it has been done multiple times. Maybe you can't do it but that doesn't mean it can't be done. Second, your statement about the yahoos doing 30's taking more zeros is also inaccurate. While I don't follow as many of the speed hikes on the AT as I do on the PCT, I will guarantee those that are doing 30 mpd CONSISTANTLY will take less zeros on average than lower mileage hikers.

To the OP:
    I think the best advice on here was to plan no zeros and adjust your plan as needed.

Squireel.. Let me say simply.. there is no way you or anyone else is going to thru hike a 2200 mile trail such as the AT without one single zero day. the yahoos that did 30 mile days lost the time they gained by taking MORE zero days in town.
    wrong and wrong. you really are way off on this

Ahem...

Andrew skurka did it off the couch with 4 in 95 days starting out with no long distance experience at all... given that he is probably training to do this quickly and without zeros.. maybe he'll end up with 1 or 2 but maybe none at all.

I think you would have to be quite lucky to be able to hike 100+ straight days averaging 20 mph without a zero. No Lyme disease, blisters, equipment failures, twisted ankles, blown out knees, chafing, broken bones, head injuries, puncture injuries, diseases, viruses, crypto, supply issues, hurricanes, snowicanes, significant other issues, financial issues, weddings, funerals... I'm sure that 100s of other reasons for needing a zero are not on this list.

Plus all of the reasons why someone your age may just want to take a zero (Trail Days, DC/NY trip, aquablazing, pink blazing, etc.).

But there's no reason not to try.

No most hiker's can't do 20s right from the start but it depends on how much exsperience you already have and you don't have to take zero's in towns a person can find a nice spot beside a creek or pond save your money and zero in the woods, i have yet to meet a thru-hiker that has never taken a zero, every once in a while you are going to need to rest your body, after a while you will learn to listen to your body do what it tells you to do if you don't you will walk your self right off the trail. Good luck and happy hiking. RED-DOG

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

you could do infinity zeros, zero zero's, 37 zeros, or negative zeros. whatever you want to do is what you will do and once you've done what you want to do, you'll realize how things were done.

The day I start my hike, April 1, I will start a new thread. I will title it squirrels speed attempt. I will up date it every night I have service on my phone with my location. If I fail at no zeros I will still succeed in completing the trail. Now I can no see the future but I have tested and tested my gear, I'm comfterable with it. I have a base weight of 12 pounds. I enjoy a test of ones own will power. Thanks to all that are supportive, every one else can hike there 12 miles a day and enjoy there town days. I'm not asking you not to, just quit telling me that I can't hike with out them. I'm not chasing down the record. I'm pushing my self. I want to see what my personal boundaries are. Some will never understand that and I don't ask you to.

See y'all on the trail

Images

Zeroes rule!

While hiking zero miles in a day is common there really is no such thing as a "zero" day as in you do nothing or have zero experiences that day. Having a day where you hike zero miles does not mean you have to sit in camp all day. Hiking zero miles in a day simply means you experienced something other than hiking with the objective to cover miles that day.

Thru-hiking IS NOT just about hiking! Think about it. This revelation might improve your life experiences when hiking! or not hiking!

For those saying being social is a major part of the trail, I know this. I have section hiked most of the trail already, about 1200 miles of it 2 weeks at a time. I'm not attempting this for a social event. I'm trying to push my self further than iv ever pushed my self. Chill out with the slow down and smell the roses comments, I have smelled the roses, I know what they smell like. I don't know how it fells to put 2180 miles under my feet in 109 days. Again y'all have yall goals and I have mine. I am not right and you are not wrong. We just see 2 different shades of blue.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++