WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 19E to Damascus in Oct?

Is this still a reasonable section to hike in October given bear activity, trash, etc? If so, is water an issue at this time of year? TIA, WB!
    "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver

There is a camping ban south of Damascus, between NB miles 452-465. You just need to figure that into your planning.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    There is a camping ban south of Damascus, between NB miles 452-465. You just need to figure that into your planning.
    Good point. I saw that and thought I might cut it short and make 91 an endpoint. I seem to be reading more reasons not to hike it than in favor of - and its such a nice route! I appreciate the reply.
    "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

You can alter the hike:
    NOBO = Start at 19E. At TN91 start staying at Rabbits Hole and day hike between TN 91 and McQueens Gap. Then do the rest to Damascus
    SOBO = Go from US421 with only 3 miles in the camping ban or start at TN 91.

Water should be good in the area.

Just some advice if staying at Vandeventer Shelter. Water up prior. Its a long trail down to the spring.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Wow. The southern Appalachians are perfect this time of year. I couldn't come up with a reason if I tried to not do a section like that in October.

Quote Originally Posted by RADHiker View Post
    Good point. I saw that and thought I might cut it short and make 91 an endpoint. I seem to be reading more reasons not to hike it than in favor of - and its such a nice route! I appreciate the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bumpy View Post
    Wow. The southern Appalachians are perfect this time of year. I couldn't come up with a reason if I tried to not do a section like that in October.
    Couldnt say it better myself. Hike on, Practice bear safety, stay away from shelter locations. Follow bans
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

[QUOTE=Tennessee Viking;2289648]You can alter the hike:
    NOBO = Start at 19E. At TN91 start staying at Rabbits Hole and day hike between TN 91 and McQueens Gap. Then do the rest to Damascus
    SOBO = Go from US421 with only 3 miles in the camping ban or start at TN 91.

Rabbit's Hole hostel is highly recommended. Clean, friendly, peaceful and fresh eggs breakfast (collected each morning).

thanks, everyone! much appreciated

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

@RADHiker,

MY profile pic is with one of the coolest guys on that section. Uncle Nick. His place is just before Iron Mtn Shelter. Thats an awesome spot to camp for the night.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

++ New Posts ++