WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Denatured Alcohol Storage

This is something of a noob post (and I apologize if my question has been answered before) but I've just started experimenting with the alcohol/aluminum can stove and I'm having some difficulty with the fuel storage aspect. I purchased a can of denatured alcohol at Walmart and it's of course way too bulky to cart around the back country.

On my last overnighter, I tried storing some fuel in a recycled mini soap squeeze bottle and ended up with a good deal of denatured alcohol just all over, everywhere. It was a nightmare.

But I don't want to give up on the alcohol stove just yet because it's so light and easy to make/repair.

I've been thinking about using something similar to this:

http://www.firstaidmart.com/site/pro...10473_a_7c4962

I have a cheaper, smaller version that I purchased at the dollar store that has a rubber grommet around the cap. My only fear is that the alcohol might seep through the grommet and cause similar nightmarish scenarios.

So, my question:

What do other alcohol stove aficionados use for fuel storage?

Images

A small PET water bottle.

I'm using a water bottle as well.

First of all, one of the nice things about alcohol is that if it does spill, it isn't really a nightmare. It might be annoying, but if you spilled the same amount of white gas, you would know the alcohol spill is much less nasty.

Also, alcohol is much easier to store. It doesn't typically need a special container. A lot of people use methanol rather than denatured ethanol because it is easily available in gas stations as Heet gas line antifreeze. This bottle is designed to store alcohol so it works fine. You could get a bottle from the gas station, use the fuel, and keep the bottle.

heet.jpg

Or you could just use a pop bottle. These lids are designed to keep the pressure of a carbonated beverage in, so they don't leak. If you do this be sure to label it clearly to make sure you don't drink it. Some people even put duct tape around it or something like that so you can even identify your fuel bottle by feel in the dark for extra safety.

Mouthwash bottles are nice because they have a cup-like cap that can be used for measuring.

Flip top plastic bottle are popular because you can squirt right from the bottle. A lot of companies that sell alcohol stoves will carry them. Here is one example.

http://www.ultralightdesigns.com/pro...l_bottles.html

Images

I got a couple of 4 oz squeeze bottles from Zelph here on WB with a stove I purchased from him. Some of these are better than others. The dollar store and WM travel stuff tends not to be so good.
    Used 5 Hour Energy bottles and similar also work well for short trips or for keeping a back-up supply. They come in 2 and 4 ounce sizes.
    Many just use yellow HEET (gas line antifreeze) as fuel - it's 99% methanol and the plastic bottles are very light and leak proof. It also doesn't leak. DO NOT use the red HEET! Different type of alcohol and it will smoke.
    Many use old soda/drink bottles. Be careful to mark the bottle! Do not to accidentally drink any - methanol, while naturally occurring in many of our foods and beverages, is deadly poisonous in any amount beyond a small sip and even that wouldn't be good for you. Should it ever happen, the antidote is regular alcohol - immediately get the person drunk so that the ethanol inhibits absorption of the methanol (no, I'm not kidding).
    Some plastics can be attacked - just put a little alcohol in, turn it upside down to test the cap material and seal, and test it for a week for softening and/or discoloration and leaks.

I use a Listerine bottle, normally the 8.5 oz size. The cap locks on and holds 1/2 oz of fuel, if you want to measure. The larger bottle (16 oz I believe) has a cap that holds 1 oz...best container I've found, never had a leak. I normally use Heet because it's easy to find and seems to burn better for me, others would tell you denatured alchol is better.

Journal Entries

I use a 14 oz. Vodka bottle with a pop-up spout I took off some other bottle. The curve on the backside of the bottle lets it pack nicely, and the pop-up spout makes it easy to pour into a stove.DSCN0042.jpg
    Last edited by DeerPath; 12-22-2013 at 12:46.
    DeerPath

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY
    IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
    BUT RATHER SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
    SHOUTING "HOLY CRAP....WHAT A RIDE!"

I use six ounce plastic Kentucky Gentleman bottles. I spray paint them silver and write 'toxic' on them several times.

A contact solution bottle also works quite well. I've got a 4 oz (rated) one that holds 4.25 to the brim and weighs about .5 oz. At <.75 ounces per burn and only cooking dinner, that's enough for about 5 days.

I just take the whole Heet bottle with me.

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    I use six ounce plastic Kentucky Gentleman bottles. I spray paint them silver and write 'toxic' on them several times.
    That bottle should have come with "toxic" on it.

I've been using a ReNu contact lens bottle. 4oz capacity and its clear, so it's easy to meter out, and easy to see how much is left. If I were going to be out for a week or longer, I would just take a whole bottle of Heet

I used a 12 oz Coke plastic bottle. Never had any issues with it on the trail. I think I used two of them for the entire trail. I always packed it on the outside of my pack (ULA Circuit) in the side pouch. I tied a bottle sling knot on the lip of the bottle and clipped the cord loop to a small S-biner in case it fell out of the pouch (it did once or twice).

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    That bottle should have come with "toxic" on it.
    I get that joke a lot on the trail.

I get that joke a lot on the trail.
    In truth I like all those Kentucky gentlemen...Jack, Jim, George, Ezra, Evan, Elijah, Henry....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    In truth I like all those Kentucky gentlemen...Jack, Jim, George, Ezra, Evan, Elijah, Henry....
    I think a couple of those guys are from Tennessee, not Kentucky - but they are definitely still fine gentlemen - and fine still gentlemen.

I didn't know prior to recently reading the bottle, but Kentucky Gentleman is 51% grain spirits... It comes more than half full of useable fuel.

I use a bottle like this. I make marks on the side of the bottle every 1 oz. with a magic marker.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

I re- purpose a 4 oz soap bottle... maybe just lucky about leaks. Also yellow Heet for 12 oz... puncture the foil liner and it becomes a squirt- bottle, too.

I didn't know prior to recently reading the bottle, but Kentucky Gentleman is 51% grain spirits... It comes more than half full of useable fuel.
    Should be great for fueling the BS around a campfire.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++