WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default What Dutch suspension and straps would you choose to keep it simple and light...

I’ve decided on the chameleon, most likely wide which only comes in 1.6 which is probably the best choice as my weight at 220-240lbs. The Beatle buckles and straps seem heavier than other options. Any input appreciated as I’m trying to buy the best stuff and buy once.....trying to keep volume and weight to a minimum so will fit in my 38 liter burn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    I’ve decided on the chameleon, most likely wide which only comes in 1.6 which is probably the best choice as my weight at 220-240lbs. The Beatle buckles and straps seem heavier than other options. Any input appreciated as I’m trying to buy the best stuff and buy once.....trying to keep volume and weight to a minimum so will fit in my 38 liter burn.

If you’re concerned with weight, go with the whoopie hook suspension. If you’re not as concerned with weight but think you might be in areas where trees being too close for whoopies, then the beetle buckles.
    I use whoopies and like them for overall use because it “seems” like they act as a better water break thank the buckles.

+1 Whoopi’s are better for weight and bulk. However, I love the ease of the Dyneema Straps and Beetle Buckles for set up. You need tree straps either way, so it comes down to what you prefer between the hammock CL and the strap. Check Shugs YouTube channel for all the suspension options one would ever need to research.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

For the lightest possible setup you could use Kevlar straps attached to CLs with Becket hitch or J-bend.

I have the standard width Chameleon and really like it (5-9, 165 and 1oz Hexon is fine). Nice to be able to exchange the winter cover for a summer bug net, and flip them over for left or right lay.

Recently I tried Beetle buckles with Dutch's poly/dyneema straps and they were difficult to deal with when they got rained on and then froze. I've got to think it would be similar with whoopies, although with any of these choices it is problematic when they're thoroughly saturated with ice.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 01-21-2018 at 07:39.

What does it weigh ?

Thom

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    For the lightest possible setup you could use Kevlar straps attached to CLs with Becket hitch or J-bend.

I have the standard width Chameleon and really like it (5-9, 165 and 1oz Hexon is fine). Nice to be able to exchange the winter cover for a summer bug net, and flip them over for left or right lay.

Recently I tried Beetle buckles with Dutch's poly/dyneema straps and they were difficult to deal with when they got rained on and then froze. I've got to think it would be similar with whoopies, although with any of these choices it is problematic when they're thoroughly saturated with ice.
    Thx...I assume you mean having amsteel etc attached to tree straps tied w bend to CL?

Two 12' straps weigh a hair under 2 oz (54.5g) Kevlar 2.2 is almost identical weight to 1/8" amsteel.

If the straps have sewn loops on the tree end, just thread them through and Becket or Bend directly to the hammock's CL.

Not as easy to adjust as a buckle, of course, but works well once you get a feel for what it should look like when first hung, and how much slack will develop when it's fully loaded.

I've gotten it perfect on the first try a couple of times, although I usually have to futz with it a bit to get the height and centering under the tarp just right. This is why I tried the Beetles for winter, when getting things set up as quickly as possible is more important.

Quote Originally Posted by TX Aggie View Post
    If you’re concerned with weight, go with the whoopie hook suspension. If you’re not as concerned with weight but think you might be in areas where trees being too close for whoopies, then the beetle buckles.
    I use whoopies and like them for overall use because it “seems” like they act as a better water break thank the buckles.

Are the Dutch clip worth getting? If so have sewn on so don’t get lost?

15' Dyneema Straps/soft shackles vs. Dynemma/soft shackles with Beatle Buckles

IMG_2798.JPGIMG_2801.JPG

I currently use the first option with a Becket Hitch but either would be a UL option.

Are the Dutch clip worth getting? If so have sewn on so don’t get lost?

I don’t use them, to me it’s just as easy to thread the end through the loop. They do make setup and take down easier though.

If you’re buying a complete suspension, then yes, have them sewn on.

Quote Originally Posted by TX Aggie View Post
    I don’t use them, to me it’s just as easy to thread the end through the loop. They do make setup and take down easier though.

If you’re buying a complete suspension, then yes, have them sewn on.
    I had to let them know earlier as was shipping out I decided I’d try first without them...thx

Just to muddy the waters a bit more, I recently received the RBTR 12' straps made of UHMWPE and they are 1.79 oz per pair (on my digital scale).

I haven't used them at all yet, not even a test hang, therefore I have no idea how much sag to factor in. RBTR recommends not using buckles of any kind with them, so they will be used in warmer weather with Becket or J-bend into CL.

For info, the weave of this material is pretty tight and there are no gaps visible between the threads if you tug it on the bias.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Just to muddy the waters a bit more, I recently received the RBTR 12' straps made of UHMWPE and they are 1.79 oz per pair (on my digital scale).

I haven't used them at all yet, not even a test hang, therefore I have no idea how much sag to factor in. RBTR recommends not using buckles of any kind with them, so they will be used in warmer weather with Becket or J-bend into CL.

For info, the weave of this material is pretty tight and there are no gaps visible between the threads if you tug it on the bias.
    I plan on replacing my whoopies with Becket or J-Bend for simplicity, wt savings, and better ability to hang when the trees are on the close side. Would be interested in how you like these straps. Would you post or pm me? Second question, were 15 ft straps a consideration?

On the Dutch Clip question, I own them and used them for 30 nights. Did the SHT the following year without them for the sake of simplicity. Really like Dutch products, but I prefer going without Dutch Clips. It's one more thing to carry and costs 5 whole seconds of my time for tree attachment.

Following closely.

Ive been using whoppie slings for a while. They are ok. Kinda finicky sometimes.

Im always interested in cutting weight and saving space.

I want to know more about these becket or j-bend

Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    Following closely.

Ive been using whoppie slings for a while. They are ok. Kinda finicky sometimes.

Im always interested in cutting weight and saving space.

I want to know more about these becket or j-bend
    https://youtu.be/7HHncxp_SvA

I’ve considered going the strap only/Beckett hitch route as well, but my main concern is how well does the hitch shed rain water dripping down the suspension vs whoopies with a whoopie hook or Dutch Biner?

Quote Originally Posted by Recalc View Post
    I plan on replacing my whoopies with Becket or J-Bend for simplicity, wt savings, and better ability to hang when the trees are on the close side. Would be interested in how you like these straps. Would you post or pm me? Second question, were 15 ft straps a consideration?

On the Dutch Clip question, I own them and used them for 30 nights. Did the SHT the following year without them for the sake of simplicity. Really like Dutch products, but I prefer going without Dutch Clips. It's one more thing to carry and costs 5 whole seconds of my time for tree attachment.
    This morning while walking the dog in the woods I did a quick detour for a test hang with the UHMWPE straps, after which I think the term 'tape' should be used to describe them.

Photo of the hang, purposely with trees a bit far apart to get a better feel for stretch, which I found to be VERY minimal. The hammock is a 9.5 foot GT UL, not the Nano.
    rbtr_uhmwpe_tape_01.jpg

Photo of a Becket hitch tied into the CL, which is some sort of 4mm utility cord. As you can see, the strap does not maintain its flatness once loaded, and it maintains this curled shape all the way up to where it enters the loop at the tree end of the suspension.
    rbtr_uhmwpe_tape_02.jpg

Now this was interesting, because even with zero load having been put on it, the strap (tape!) material took on this interesting little warp pattern. Might've been the cooler air, as it was about 29°F...
    rbtr_uhmwpe_tape_03.jpg

Last photo, which shows the tape holding the tubular shape after the load is totally removed... the flat part at the top was wrapped around the tree.
    rbtr_uhmwpe_tape_04.jpg

The 12' length is fine for me because there are rarely have huge trees in the places I hike. The whole kit above (hammock, CLs, straps) weighs 11.94 oz. I changed the CLs from the thick cord to 1/8" Amsteel, which reduced weight by about 20g.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 01-25-2018 at 23:05.

++ New Posts ++