WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Is going out for a weekend hike on the AT a section hike even when you have no intention to do the whole trail in your life time?
    Does reading the sports SECTION of the NY Times everyday disqualify you from saying I read the NY Times everyday (since no one reads every word of it everyday)?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Congratulate them.
    That's what I was thinking, not bow down and bestow some title on them.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    What do we do with someone who's section hiked (complete) the triple crown?
    Backpackers by god!
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    so if you completed 220 day hikes of 10 miles/day, covering every inch of the AT, and it took 20 years to complete, are you a section hiker, hiker, or poser?
    I have hiked the trail every year since 1969 (42 years). I am still working on the trail, even though I have put in more than 2,000 miles. About two thirds done, put not quite a poser. I hiked the AT 5X this year, more than most posers on whiteblaze.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Images

Funny post, is there a cyber WB Tuesday discount from the $199??

I really thought that a section hiker was a hiker who hiked a section.................lets face it, once you do a section you might very well be inflicted with a common disease, lets name that one!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by earlyriser26 View Post
    I have hiked the trail every year since 1969 (42 years). I am still working on the trail, even though I have put in more than 2,000 miles. About two thirds done, put not quite a poser. I hiked the AT 5X this year, more than most posers on whiteblaze.
    I haven't hiked on the AT in 1 1/2 years. Been doing a lot in Shining Rock Wilderness (have done most of this beautiful place's trails) and the Foothills Trail. Only did about 175 miles this year. Guess that makes me lower than a poser . . . something like a crouton.

There have many many "discussions" about what a thru-hike is on these forums. Not much on the often used term of "section hike".

According to the ATC web site:

A Glossary of Trail Terms from an old Thru-Hikers Handbook reads:

These definitions seem simple enough. If you are attempting to complete the entire Appalachian Trail over a series of hikes you are a Section Hiker.

So why do so many refer to every hike on the trail as a section hike?

Is going out for a weekend hike on the AT a section hike even when you have no intention to do the whole trail in your life time?

I've hiked the trail from Connecticut to the Vermont state line at least six times from two day hikes to one week hikes. Are they all section hikes? Are all the hikes on the AT I've done on parts I've already thru-hiked section hikes? Some people hike certain parts of the trail many times because of closeness or favoritism, is every trip a section hike? Every trip to SMNP or SNP?

Does it matter? Yes it does. For all those that are planning and making the effort, or have actually finished their 2,000 miler they deserve the distinction of a title of Section Hiker. They are working toward or have earned their title of 2,000 miler.

Going out and enjoying a hike on the AT when ever you can is a great experience, but not every trip is a section hike. I've been in and out of the Grand Canyon three times, I don't call them section hikes.

My thinking on this is about the same now.

What is a section hike to you?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Sorry old quotes went invisible:

According to the ATC web site:
    "A section-hiker completes the A.T. in multiple trips over a period of years."

A Glossary of Trail Terms from an old Thru-Hikers Handbook reads:
    "Section Hiker is a person who is attempting to become a 2,000-Miler by doing a series of section hikes over a period of time"

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

At what point does one need to differentiate oneself? Why does there have to be differentiation at all? Thru, Section, Day, whatever....we're all hikers. If you're hung up on the prestige aspect then perhaps you need to spend more time in the woods to reflect on the real reason you're there.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    At what point does one need to differentiate oneself? Why does there have to be differentiation at all? Thru, Section, Day, whatever....we're all hikers. If you're hung up on the prestige aspect then perhaps you need to spend more time in the woods to reflect on the real reason you're there.
    Teach, I totally agree on the name thing.

I don't know if I will ever complete the entire AT, but my goal is to hike as much as I can a little bit at a time. Since I don't plan on hiking the entire AT, I guess I'm not a section hiker because other people say I'm not. Or, maybe I can just plan to hike the entire trail and then I am a section hiker, even though I never actually finish the trail. Then again maybe titles just don't matter, and what other people think means about as much to me as who wins the Oscars

If you're hung up on the prestige aspect then perhaps you need to spend more time in the woods to reflect on the real reason you're there.
    That's a valid point.

However, just a few weeks ago you were checking the most recent 2,000 miler list and concerned a certain hiker wasn't getting "the prestige" of being on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    Teach, I totally agree on the name thing.

I don't know if I will ever complete the entire AT, but my goal is to hike as much as I can a little bit at a time. Since I don't plan on hiking the entire AT, I guess I'm not a section hiker because other people say I'm not. Or, maybe I can just plan to hike the entire trail and then I am a section hiker, even though I never actually finish the trail. Then again maybe titles just don't matter, and what other people think means about as much to me as who wins the Oscars
    +1. I agree with you both!

I know my girl will complete the entire trail.. I have no doubt.

After she finishes, I want to go back and do the sections she already has done before I started tagging along. Then, I can say I did the entire trail as well.

Journal Entries
    Images

That's a valid point.

However, just a few weeks ago you were checking the most recent 2,000 miler list and concerned a certain hiker wasn't getting "the prestige" of being on the list.
    Yes, I appreciate the apparent conflict of my own viewpoint here.

I'm not saying that a person shouldn't be proud of their accomplishment, and proud to receive notice of it. Thus, I think the 2000 mile certs are great, and are a wonderful affirmation of one's effort...a pat on the back. Note though that there is no distinction as to type of hiker on it.

But I don't think the purpose of the hike is to achieve the cert. I don't think the purpose of the hike is to classify oneself as different from others in the same pursuit. I think the purpose of the hike is to appreciate the hike.

I find myself caught up in the labels and political aspects of it all too. But when I'm out there it doesn't take long for those trappings to be shed, and for me to realize why I'm there. As for Snacktime and I, we may finish; we may not. We may be sectioners; we may not. We may be qualified to call ourselves AT hikers; we may not. It's all unimportant when we get to appreciate the beauty and wonder of hiking the trail.

Maybe this analogy makes more sense:

When I was in school, it didn't matter if I attended full time or part time, took 4 years or 8. For my part, education was for it's own sake and not for the diploma per se, which doesn't differentiate the manner of its achievement. Yet is hangs on the study wall and reminds me that I've accomplished something I felt was important.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Yes, I appreciate the apparent conflict of my own viewpoint here.

I'm not saying that a person shouldn't be proud of their accomplishment, and proud to receive notice of it. Thus, I think the 2000 mile certs are great, and are a wonderful affirmation of one's effort...a pat on the back. Note though that there is no distinction as to type of hiker on it.

But I don't think the purpose of the hike is to achieve the cert. I don't think the purpose of the hike is to classify oneself as different from others in the same pursuit. I think the purpose of the hike is to appreciate the hike.

I find myself caught up in the labels and political aspects of it all too. But when I'm out there it doesn't take long for those trappings to be shed, and for me to realize why I'm there. As for Snacktime and I, we may finish; we may not. We may be sectioners; we may not. We may be qualified to call ourselves AT hikers; we may not. It's all unimportant when we get to appreciate the beauty and wonder of hiking the trail.

Maybe this analogy makes more sense:

When I was in school, it didn't matter if I attended full time or part time, took 4 years or 8. For my part, education was for it's own sake and not for the diploma per se, which doesn't differentiate the manner of its achievement. Yet is hangs on the study wall and reminds me that I've accomplished something I felt was important.
    Interesting analogy. I have three degrees (BS, MBA, PhD) along with professional certifications, and I do not know where any of them are right now. But when I finish the AT I will probably get that ATC certificate, frame it, and hang it on the wall. Right now I have my AT map up in my office with a tack for where I currently am.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Can I be a Section Hiker if the real reason I am there is to hike the trail in sections until I've completed all of it?

I think there should be a naming convention in place as it distinguishes the goal immediately for those hearing it....

Thru-Hiker: I want to do it all in one effort.
    Section Hiker: I want to do it all by section.
    Hiker: I'm just out here reflect on being out here and I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

What differance does it make?

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Interesting analogy. I have three degrees (BS, MBA, PhD) along with professional certifications, and I do not know where any of them are right now. But when I finish the AT I will probably get that ATC certificate, frame it, and hang it on the wall. Right now I have my AT map up in my office with a tack for where I currently am.
    That's cause you're a section hiker.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Well NOW you're just bragging! .............(I'm of course referring to having an AT map)
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 02-28-2014 at 23:15.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by canoe View Post
    What difference does it make?
    Why NONE, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by canoe View Post
    What differance does it make?
    This post? None whatsoever. It was a worthless attempt to belittle others for having a discussion... On a discussion board.

(Also you spelled 'difference' incorrectly. )

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++