WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Corfam!

That spit shine was all for show anyway while wearing dress uniform.
    “Army Training”
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rHcMxOJ5BN4
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Gabigabs View Post
    I started PCT in Altra Lone Peaks but I did not like them. My feet were constantly tired and sore, especially once we got to the volcanic areas of the Cascades. That's when I switched. I didn't go back to leather boots (though I still wear them and love them for winter hiking and backpacking) but I finished in Merrell Hiking Shoes. Loved them so much better. I'm planning on wearing them for my next thru-hike as well. On the other hand, we met many people who finished the trail in runners and were perfectly happy with them.
    With what Merrell's did you finish?

Altra LP's are a moderate cush. Foot soreness can develop as a NOBO PCTer transitons from the generally softer underfoot tread of the first 700 miles or so going out at more moderated daily/weekly mileage avgs and less hrs hiking into the northern California volcanic geology as they also start cranking up to higher daily/weekly mileage and hrs on the feet hiking by reaching Lassen NP with the longest days of the yr and we'll into full thru hiker mode.

Your occurence of sore feet going into northern CA has been voiced before. It's sometimes due a lack of understanding LD shoe needs as terrain and trail living changes or progresses.

What some PCTers do is start with a desert trail runner of more mininalist less cushy more breathable design and switch out around KM to a trail runner for snow travel rocking that for another 600 to 800 miles. Then rockin to a cushier design as the compacted volcanic tread kicks in and the weekly mileage cranks up.

When I hear of thrus attempting 2500 mile PCT hikes in one brand and model of low cush minimalist trail runners without no problems I wonder what's going on.

Although not as popular as they once we're with so many hikers, including LD types commonly approaching hikes in cookie cutter fashion and expecting information in sound bite low info fashion, Yogi's - Jackie McDonnel's Trail Guides and trail guides like the PCT Wilderness Press offer this info for pre hike preparation that readily can translate to better on trail and gear experiences.

IN short, acounts as yours is not a narrowed overly generalized boot verse trail runner issue. It can be a lack of appropriate trail runner choice made by the hiker out of some ignorance. I've been here too.

Go to any high end on pt living the life running store what is asked is your weekly mileage. That's being asked to better assess suggesting an appropriate shoe and cush. IN my honest sincere opinion more hikers would be better served getting these experts advice rather than Internet shoe
    hiking "experts" opinions.

I slap my head with the level of so much misappropriated discussion over hiking and backpacking gear that is really a lower or non priority while one of if not the highest gear priority to get dialed in is what's on the feet.

Injection molded soles, full Nubuk leather uppers, seam sealing and SnoSeal as needed hiking shoes work well. Alas, they are hard to find. I managed to get my hands on 3 pair of Merrell Radius Hiking shoes as they were being discontinued. I alternate the Radius with Ultra Raptors.
    Zero Gore-Tex on my feet.
    Wayne

I slap my head with the level of so much misappropriated discussion over hiking and backpacking gear that is really a lower or non priority while one of if not the highest gear priority to get dialed in is what's on the feet.

There are very few (if any) gear/clothing/shelter questions whose answers should not begin with "It depends."

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    There are very few (if any) gear/clothing/shelter questions whose answers should not begin with "It depends." [/COLOR]
    Followed by “A, B, C thru X, Y & Z work for me. That’s all that matters.”
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Followed by “A, B, C thru X, Y & Z work for me. That’s all that matters.”
    Wayne
    There's also that not so elusive "herd mentality" whereby years ago the most popular tent on the AT was the Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight and then it changed to another similarly widely purchased tent like the TarpTent or Gatewood Cape or whatever else. Or the proliferation of Osprey packs in the last decade. The herd picks out the same stuff. This goes for the current fascination with trail runners. Remember when the New Balance 5?? hiking shoe was all the rage??

Tipi, is it also reasonable to consider that the Exos packs are popular because they've worked well for a lot of people (myself included, have owned one since the first generation)? Or that trail runners have been steadily increasing in popularity for roughly 20 years? I'm not dismissing herd mentality, but it's hardly the only force at work here.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

I tried the lighter weight boots and hated them. I am on my third pair of, very heavy all leather, Vasque boots. I just had them resoled and they will out live me. The stiff structure is great for rocky trails.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Quote Originally Posted by earlyriser26 View Post
    I tried the lighter weight boots and hated them. I am on my third pair of, very heavy all leather, Vasque boots. I just had them resoled and they will out live me. The stiff structure is great for rocky trails.
    I too like my stouter boots for backpacking, although if I were skipping down the trail with a full load of 15 pounds I could go barefoot or stay in my crocs or wear tennis shoes. Which brings up two main factors in shoe choice: Daily Mileage Desired and Pack Weight.

Although sherpas have been known to backpack 100 lb loads barefoot, the heavier the pack the stouter I like my boot. As Earlyriser says, they are also better on rocky trails. So pack weight has alot to do with shoe choice---as does amount of miles you want to hike per day.

My heavy Zamberlans come in at around 3 lbs 8 oz per pair and compared to barefeet or crocs or minimal shoes this is heavy. For someone wanting to pull 20 mile days with a 15 lb pack, well, these boots are not needed. For someone with a 90 lb pack on 5 mile days they work perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Tipi, is it also reasonable to consider that the Exos packs are popular because they've worked well for a lot of people (myself included, have owned one since the first generation)? Or that trail runners have been steadily increasing in popularity for roughly 20 years? I'm not dismissing herd mentality, but it's hardly the only force at work here.

Nicely said.

Much like the move to 2p tents for larger people. Or the resurgence of 1p tents for shorter hikers.

Uhhhhhhhhhh . . . while I don't like lightweight hiking shoes I would not call any hiker doing that mileage or better (probably) a name like that. They are anything but that.

In my life I have bought many a hiking boot and never thought about "ankle support". The idea that boot wearers need "ankle support" and that's why they buy them is not true. It is my opinion that the lightweight hiking shoe/trail runner, etc., IS a fad, industry driven and not a choice for serious hikers. The outlay per mile is the main consideration I feel. :-)

the lightweight hiking shoe/trail runner, etc., IS a fad, industry driven and not a choice for serious hikers
    You'll pry my Altra Lone Peaks off my cold, dead feet.

As for the rest, are you seriously serious?

Journal Entries

O I love my Merrels MOAB midheight boots. Occasionally Keen sandals. Then I am a little old lady- 68. Runners do not work for me. My old tall leather boots are now considered designer to wear with dresses.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnette View Post
    O I love my Merrels MOAB midheight boots. Occasionally Keen sandals. Then I am a little old lady- 68. Runners do not work for me. My old tall leather boots are now considered designer to wear with dresses.
    LOL from a fellow lol (little old lady) I'd definitely wear my stompy 40-yr-old Vasque Sundowners with skirts and dresses, if that darn trail hadn't made my feet too big!!

Much like tents, sleeping bags, and clothing, footgear selection for me changes with conditions and the seasons. After many decades of backpacking and hiking I have acquired a fair collection of packs, bags, tents, clothing, and footgear that provide a fairly broad selection for current or anticipated conditions. I will typically wear a pair of high-top leather boots for winter use (snow shoeing, crampon use) and when terrain is likely to encourage their use when I plan to do some bushwhacking. As the seasons change into spring I move into mid-highs, followed by trail shoes in summer, reversing that process as summer moves into fall and winter.

Experience being what it is, I found high-top leather boots do provide a bit more ankle support but more importantly protection from rocks, ice, and other hazards hidden in snow or under brush. Using these boots for an AT thru hike on established trail in summer months doesn't make a lot of sense, so I have a pair of mid-high synthetic material boots, and a pair of low trail shoes I will use in deep summer and mostly dry conditions.

I remember buying my first pair of hiking boots in Germany in 92-93 time frame. I thought the biggest burlyest leather boot was the way to go. These things were like having cinder blocks on your feet. Boreal was the brand, each boot was a half a cow's worth of leather. Fast forward to a few years ago and its been the Altra's. Im part of the heard, but I have just recently gone back in time and ordered some MOAB's, I wanted a little something more solid on rocky terrain without going back to a boot. I will always own Altra's I think though. They work.
    " 6 bucks and my left nut says we're not going to be landing in Chicago" Del Griffith

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Wavey View Post
    ..It is my opinion that the lightweight hiking shoe/trail runner, etc., IS a fad, industry driven and not a choice for serious hikers.
    Serious hikers? I thought we did this for fun. I guess there's a whole bunch of slackers on the trail. Reminds me of the Rolling Stones line... "And a man comes on and tells me how ****e my shirts can be, but he can't be a man 'cause he doesn't smoke the same cigarettes as me"

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

and I can't believe that WB censors the use of the word "White"

Trail Runners equals Tennis Shoes---but as a backpacker I'm not running and I'm not playing tennis.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++