WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Gear List For April 14th Start Please Critique

Hi,

I thru-hiked in 2008 and will be heading out again this year. A lot has changed in 9 years except I'll be starting at almost the exact same height and weight (5' 8", 265lbs).

Anyways, I'm looking for suggestions to lighten my weight and anything else the wisdom of WB has to offer.

What did I omit? What kind and size dry/stuff sacks and how many? Etc... Thanks in advance.

Here's my tentative list and will update and alter per your suggestions:

• BIG FOUR
      • Shelter - MSR Hubba NX (I will not compromise on a true free-standing tent; worth the extra weight to me. Anything lighter?)
      • Pad - Therm-a-Rest Prolite Plus (I have a NeoAir XLite but I find it extremely uncomfortable. Maybe after I lose some weight it will work for me?)
      • Bag - Zpacks 30 degree quilt)
      • Pack - YET TO BE DETERMINED - Need a lot of help here!

• CLOTHING
      • Base - Terramar ClimaSense 2.0 Top AND Bottom
      • Shirt/Pants - NIKE ProCool Short Sleeve AND Columbia Silver Ridge Convertible Pants
      • UnderWear - ExEfficio 9" (x2)
      • Socks - Darn Tough Merino Wool Micro Crew (x2) AND FoxRiver Liner (x1)
      • Rain - OR Helium II Jacket AND NF Venture 2 1/2 zip pants
      • Puffy/Hat - REI Co-Op Jacket AND Zpacks Micro-Fleece
      • Buff - NF Dispea (needed?)
      • Footwear - NB Leadville v3 AND SuperFeet (very weary of going with these, I used NB 1201's in 2008 and they wear great, but heavy by todays standards)

• COOKING
      • MSR Pocket Rocket AND Fuel Canister AND Mini-Bic (x2)
      • TOAKS 850ml Titanium AND Titanium Spoon
      • P-38

• WATER
      • Aquamira
      • Platypus 2L (x3) (not sure if I'll go with tube or Smart Water bottles. I used a tube last time and liked it.)

• GUIDE
      • AWOL Loose-Leaf in Sections AND Guthook on Iphone

• ELECTRONICS
      • Iphone 6s (not sure what case to get)
      • Sony FDRX3000 w/ Charger and 3 Batteries
      • ANKER PowerCore+ 10050
      • USB Multi-Card Reader
      • Cables

• 1ST AID/TOILETRIES/MISC.
      • Toothbrush/Paste/Floss/Case
      • Trowel (don't have one yet)
      • Ibuprofen, Meds
      • Athletic Tape, Tenacious Tape, Needle/Thread
      • Body Glide
      • Tweezers
      • Small Knife

• OTHER
      • Gaiters (Dirty Girl)
      • Sandals (don't have yet, please suggest, no crocs though)
      • Poles - Black Diamond Trail Pro Shock
      • Lamp - Petzl e+LITE (most likely)
      • Bandana (x2)
      • ID, Debit Card, Cash, Wallet (please suggest)

Quote Originally Posted by Regulus View Post
    Hi,

I thru-hiked in 2008 and will be heading out again this year. A lot has changed in 9 years except I'll be starting at almost the exact same height and weight (5' 8", 265lbs).

Anyways, I'm looking for suggestions to lighten my weight and anything else the wisdom of WB has to offer.

What did I omit? What kind and size dry/stuff sacks and how many? Etc... Thanks in advance.

Here's my tentative list and will update and alter per your suggestions:

• BIG FOUR
      • Shelter - MSR Hubba NX (I will not compromise on a true free-standing tent; worth the extra weight to me. Anything lighter?)
      • Pad - Therm-a-Rest Prolite Plus (I have a NeoAir XLite but I find it extremely uncomfortable. Maybe after I lose some weight it will work for me?)
      • Bag - Zpacks 30 degree quilt)
      • Pack - YET TO BE DETERMINED - Need a lot of help here!

• CLOTHING
      • Base - Terramar ClimaSense 2.0 Top AND Bottom
      • Shirt/Pants - NIKE ProCool Short Sleeve AND Columbia Silver Ridge Convertible Pants
      • UnderWear - ExEfficio 9" (x2)
      • Socks - Darn Tough Merino Wool Micro Crew (x2) AND FoxRiver Liner (x1)
      • Rain - OR Helium II Jacket AND NF Venture 2 1/2 zip pants
      • Puffy/Hat - REI Co-Op Jacket AND Zpacks Micro-Fleece
      • Buff - NF Dispea (needed?)
      • Footwear - NB Leadville v3 AND SuperFeet (very weary of going with these, I used NB 1201's in 2008 and they wear great, but heavy by todays standards)

• COOKING
      • MSR Pocket Rocket AND Fuel Canister AND Mini-Bic (x2)
      • TOAKS 850ml Titanium AND Titanium Spoon
      • P-38

• WATER
      • Aquamira
      • Platypus 2L (x3) (not sure if I'll go with tube or Smart Water bottles. I used a tube last time and liked it.)

• GUIDE
      • AWOL Loose-Leaf in Sections AND Guthook on Iphone

• ELECTRONICS
      • Iphone 6s (not sure what case to get)
      • Sony FDRX3000 w/ Charger and 3 Batteries
      • ANKER PowerCore+ 10050
      • USB Multi-Card Reader
      • Cables

• 1ST AID/TOILETRIES/MISC.
      • Toothbrush/Paste/Floss/Case
      • Trowel (don't have one yet)
      • Ibuprofen, Meds
      • Athletic Tape, Tenacious Tape, Needle/Thread
      • Body Glide
      • Tweezers
      • Small Knife

• OTHER
      • Gaiters (Dirty Girl)
      • Poles - Black Diamond Trail Pro Shock
      • Lamp - Petzl e+LITE (most likely)
      • Bandana (x2)
      • ID, Debit Card, Cash, Wallet (please suggest)

MSR hubba is a great tent, but if you are looking for a lightweight freestanding, I'd look at the Big Agnes Fly Creek, cant remember offhand but I think its about half the weight.

crocs suck. i use xero sandals, the pair i have weigh 9 oz, (but that is the upper end, i have size 14 feet, yours would undoubtedly weigh less), minimal and comfortable
    https://xeroshoes.com/shop/outsoles/diy-feeltrue/

ID, Debit Card, Cash, Wallet (please suggest)
    dont overthink this one, make a wallet out of tyvek or duct tape, or just carry your regular wallet. fancy zpacks wallets are a waste of money. or just use a rubber band.

Images

I think you're right on the edge temp wise with the 30° quilt. Good for the average low temperature which would be in the 30's, but it's typical for the lowest temp occurring during a month to be about 20° lower than the average low temp. You might have a few cold nights especially in GSMNP and higher elevations for the first month. Temps in the low 20's (and even dipping into the teens) are very likely for at least a few nights in late April/early May. If you're good for those few nights with lower temps using additional base layers, factoring in the tent, etc., you should be okay.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    I think you're right on the edge temp wise with the 30° quilt. Good for the average low temperature which would be in the 30's, but it's typical for the lowest temp occurring during a month to be about 20° lower than the average low temp. You might have a few cold nights especially in GSMNP and higher elevations for the first month. Temps in the low 20's (and even dipping into the teens) are very likely for at least a few nights in late April/early May. If you're good for those few nights with lower temps using additional base layers, factoring in the tent, etc., you should be okay.
    I have not experienced any make quilt that was comfortable to its rating. The temperature ratings are just a reference number. A 20* is needed for actual 30* IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    I have not experienced any make quilt that was comfortable to its rating. The temperature ratings are just a reference number. A 20* is needed for actual 30* IMHO.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    Also I will say that unless you have an X- wide quilt you will have cold air seeping in every time you readjust your position. I'll add ; The temp rating better be spot on or you will encounter cold nights.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    +1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about some kind of liner for the cold nights and the Smokies or should I bite the bullet and get a nice 20 WM mummy bag or something? That would be a lot of coin for just a few nights.

Tenting is not allowed in GSMNP unless the shelters are full. Is there a way around this? God help anyone who sleeps within 50' of my sawmill.

Quote Originally Posted by ImAfraidOfBears View Post

dont overthink this one, make a wallet out of tyvek or duct tape, or just carry your regular wallet. fancy zpacks wallets are a waste of money. or just use a rubber band.
    I disagree completely. My Zpacks wallet has been one of my best gear choices. I've been using it for a year and a half now on hiking trails. It's ultralight, very durable, and I like how I can zip it up secure. I also like how it's not just some disposable ziplock bag. Water has never gotten inside mine and I keep it in my front pants pocket or hipbelt pocket.

For the low price, functionality, and the fact I'm pretty sure this wallet will last thousands of trail miles...

I'd hardly call it a waste of money.

I keep a few sheets of rite n the rain pieces of paper with some numbers and info on it. I keep a golf pencil in it to take notes. I keep my license, debit/credit card, some paper money, and a book of matches in there right now.

Couldn't ask for anything better

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

I disagree completely. My Zpacks wallet has been one of my best gear choices. I've been using it for a year and a half now on hiking trails. It's ultralight, very durable, and I like how I can zip it up secure. I also like how it's not just some disposable ziplock bag. Water has never gotten inside mine and I keep it in my front pants pocket or hipbelt pocket.

For the low price, functionality, and the fact I'm pretty sure this wallet will last thousands of trail miles...

I keep a few sheets of rite n the rain pieces of paper with some numbers and info on it. I keep a golf pencil in it to take notes. I keep my license, debit/credit card, some paper money, and a book of matches in there right now.

I agree completely.
    I use the same thing for my wallet and it has lasted well over 1000 miles.
    I also use one for my electronics and etc. Has worked great and honestly Ii think it was like 10 bucks.
    Hard to beat really.
    If I die trying now I wont die wondering how life could have turned out.....

What about some kind of liner for the cold nights and the Smokies or should I bite the bullet and get a nice 20 WM mummy bag or something? That would be a lot of coin for just a few nights.

Tenting is not allowed in GSMNP unless the shelters are full. Is there a way around this? God help anyone who sleeps within 50' of my sawmill.
    Yes. In your case, a liner would help significantly. I'd think you'd want something a little heavier then a silk liner though. In another couple, three weeks, I doubt there will be many more cold nights. The liner comes in handy later in the hike when it gets hot and you just need a light blanket for most of the night.

As to your second point, the people around you will hate you and be sleep deprived by the time you exit the Smokies, no way around that.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post

Actually, it appears I was quite wrong on this one. I didn't realize it was so cheap, I always assumed those cuben wallets were ultra expensive like everything else zpacks sells, they are actually quite affordable. If I carried anything that actually required a wallet, I guess I would purchase one. For now I'll stick with my durable ultralight rubber band, it holds everything i need.

Quote Originally Posted by ImAfraidOfBears View Post
    Actually, it appears I was quite wrong on this one. I didn't realize it was so cheap, I always assumed those cuben wallets were ultra expensive like everything else zpacks sells, they are actually quite affordable. If I carried anything that actually required a wallet, I guess I would purchase one. For now I'll stick with my durable ultralight rubber band, it holds everything i need.
    They're not cheap. Just a good value. Well made from quality materials. Furthermore, unless you spend some coin you have a to pay for shipping as well .Cheap is left over tyvek or repurposing a ziplock or rubber band.

I'd gladly spend another $10 on a zpacks wallet though.

Furthermore zpacks gear is expensive, but it's not overpriced. When you calculate how much the raw materials cost and how much they charge in labor to build one of their tents or backpacks. Its not a deal, but it's not overpriced. If cuben wasn't so damn expensive compared to silnylon, everyone would be jumping on that wagon.

Any suggestions on what liter sized pack I should get?

Any suggestions on what liter sized pack I should get?
    One big enough to fit all your stuff plus 5 days of food. For most people that comes up to 60-65 L. Less then 60 and you have to be picky about what and how much you carry. Over 65 and you got too much stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    One big enough to fit all your stuff plus 5 days of food. For most people that comes up to 60-65 L. Less then 60 and you have to be picky about what and how much you carry. Over 65 and you got too much stuff.
    Any idea based on my list?

Any idea based on my list?
    I'd guess 60 L would do, maybe 55L .

55L = 3360 cubic inches, 60L = 3661 cubic inches. If you find or make a box with those volumes, you can see if your gear fits into the box to get an idea of which one you need. 18" x 14" x 14" is a standard sized box which comes up to 3528 cu in, so if you can find that sized box, that would be a good one to estimate the size pack you need.

For pack I really liked my Granit Gear crown though 60litrrs was a little too much. 40ish would probably work great for me. I like the HMG packs.
    30 degrees may not be warm enough, I started April 18 last year and got low 20s and 3 inches of snow early may in Smokies. I barely skated by with my 25 degree quilt. It ended up only being that one night so not a big deal but I may carry something warmer atleast to hot springs .
    Buff is great, won't take long for you to realize that, ditch the bandanas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GAME '16 4/18/16-8/12/16
    Trailjournal: http://www.trailjournals.com/jjdontplay
    Blog (Post Trail Gear Reviews): https://keeppushingon.wordpress.com/

What did I omit?
    I'd add 2 oz. of Dr. Bronner's soap. Getting your feet and inner thighs clean every day can cut down on a lot of problems from the wear of constant hiking.

You could skip the paper AWOL pages and just use the PDF on your phone. You've done this before, so the chances of you having big problems even if your phone goes dead are remote.

Since your sleep system is iffy for low temperatures, at the start of the trek I suggest you carry a second pad made of Reflectix. It'll add R-value and a smidge of extra cushioning. It's cheap and light, and you can leave it in a hiker box as soon as the weather is warm enough. It is bulky, though, so a 65L pack would give you more carry options.

Wouldn't a pack of matches be less weight as a backup fire source than a second lighter?

Take a look at the ULA backpacks. I own four of them and really like them.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++