WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Anyone know how long instant potatoes, gravy and stuffing last once opened.

I split up meals and trip was canceled. Once opened and put in ziplock any idea how well they keep?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have the space, put the ziplocs in the freezer. They'll last indefinitely there. Or second choice, in the refrigerator.

Otherwise, the stuffing bread cubes will probably be the first thing to 'go' - they'll get stale. Maybe a month? That's just a guess; depends on the conditions in your storage place.

-FA

When I decided to make my own meals for backpacking I got a dehydrator, and a vacuum sealer. If you have any want of a sealer, I would suggest splurging as I using mine on fishing trips, backpacking etc all the time. Even use it for sealing dogs food for hiking trips. I use it for sealing up flour, sugar, marinating meat overnight. I buy 12 pack of chicken at the store, seal them up 2 to a pack and freeze. It has paid for its self. As for a time frame, all of those things are dry and made to last. I would say use them next trip you'll be more then fine. Unless next trip is a year or so away
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

A lot is going to depend on what's in them...just plain potato flakes would last just about forever, but these days they have all of these fancy flavors that may have more ingredients...anything with fat is going to have a shorter shelf life. But if its dry goods I don't see the shelf life being shortened just by taking it from a large bag into a smaller ziplock.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    When I decided to make my own meals for backpacking I got a dehydrator, and a vacuum sealer. If you have any want of a sealer, I would suggest splurging as I using mine on fishing trips, backpacking etc all the time. Even use it for sealing dogs food for hiking trips. I use it for sealing up flour, sugar, marinating meat overnight. I buy 12 pack of chicken at the store, seal them up 2 to a pack and freeze. It has paid for its self. As for a time frame, all of those things are dry and made to last. I would say use them next trip you'll be more then fine. Unless next trip is a year or so away
    I'm glad you posted this as I was under the impression that, even though it's very effective, it was an expensive way to preserve food.

I have been paying to have my deer processed by a butcher simply because of their wrapping. this may be the push I need to go for it...

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb Some internet searches gave these links

I did a search with the term
    shelf life 'food item'
    where (if you can't guess) 'food item' is the specific thing you're curious about.
    http://www.themodernsurvivalist.com/archives/761
    http://www.stilltasty.com/fooditems/index/17322
    http://www.eatbydate.com/grains/bake...piration-date/

And I'll say it again: food within an air-tight container will remain SAFE to eat for years (if not decades). It may LOOK awful, and might have lost some its nutritional value, but it won't kill you.
    http://outdoorselfreliance.com/100-y...d-safe-to-eat/
    The best test for food SAFETY is to simply smell the stuff you're wondering about. If it smells sour, rancid, or spoiled; then throw it away.

The Florida humidity might get to them, even in a zip lock. Put them in an air tight container and then in the refrigerator or freezer.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I had a pack-it-gourmet shepherd's pie that I had taken out of the packaging and put into a Ziploc, then finished the trip early and didn't eat it. It went in my gear box and I forgot it was there until a trip almost a year later. I ate it and it was fine. Just save it for the end of your next trip, and you'll be hungry enough that it won't matter.
    -tagg

Thx...I wasn't sure shelf life after exposed to air...my collegiate loop hike got pushed back....SouthWest cancelled my flight this morning...hopefully will head out early sept so I put them in the freezer as recommended..I may try them out before as this is first time mixing all that crap in one ziplock...not sure if it will taste ok regardless.....

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    A lot is going to depend on what's in them...just plain potato flakes would last just about forever, but these days they have all of these fancy flavors that may have more ingredients...anything with fat is going to have a shorter shelf life. But if its dry goods I don't see the shelf life being shortened just by taking it from a large bag into a smaller ziplock.
    I took a packet of instant potatoes to work for my lunch a while back. Got the water all heated up, opened the packet, and dumped it in. The coloring was off, kinda yellow, kinda orange, kinda brown - where I was expecting pretty much white. Found the expiration date - three years ago! Oh my! But I was hungry, and it was ready, and it was okay, and I'm still alive.

(It was just "aged" cheese.)

Journal Entries
    Images

If you don't see weavils, they're ok....actually if you do see weavils, they're still ok.
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptainkriz View Post
    If you don't see weavils, they're ok....actually if you do see weavils, they're still ok.
    Extra protein!!!

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    I took a packet of instant potatoes to work for my lunch a while back. Got the water all heated up, opened the packet, and dumped it in. The coloring was off, kinda yellow, kinda orange, kinda brown - where I was expecting pretty much white. Found the expiration date - three years ago! Oh my! But I was hungry, and it was ready, and it was okay, and I'm still alive.

(It was just "aged" cheese.)
    Its funny the garbage we eat and justify while hiking....it's only calories/energy......I ate like a pig last night thinking id need the calories!! I type this while climbing...........a damn stair machine at the gym.....not the workout I was hoping for.....off to the beach on the SUP afterwards.....wishing I was in the mountains.......restart the countdown!

Journal Entries

Ive eaten potato flakes out of box in cabinet..for many months. I wouldnt worry at all about those items. Ive eaten tortillas months later too.

Journal Entries
    Images

I have had some stuffing in the fridge for 2 years and I'll eat it someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Farr Away View Post
    If you have the space, put the ziplocs in the freezer. They'll last indefinitely there. Or second choice, in the refrigerator.

Otherwise, the stuffing bread cubes will probably be the first thing to 'go' - they'll get stale. Maybe a month? That's just a guess; depends on the conditions in your storage place.

-FA
    For sure. Freezer first.
    I'm going to wait as long as I dare to divide my food too.
    Good luck.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AfterParty View Post
    I have had some stuffing in the fridge for 2 years and I'll eat it someday.
    If this is going to turn into a confession of expired food consumption, I'll have to bring up the home-canned apples and peaches and tomato sauce that I can't bear to "waste." Some of it is from the 90's. Maybe the wildlife that wanders through our yard at night will want it?

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    For sure. Freezer first.
    I'm going to wait as long as I dare to divide my food too.
    Good luck.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    I waited till about midnight morning of....no big deal....food is cheap..esp Idahoans, gravy and stuffing mix....

As a rule I'm a sniff tester. I have lived on the streets and have actually eaten what other people throw away. (Garbage.) That freeze dried stuff in a zippie will for sure outlast you. You, long after your hike is finito bro. They came up with most of that stuff trying to outlast a 100 year nuclear winter so a couple days in your sack while your'e sweatin' to the oldies wont kill ya. I've NEVER pulled tortillas, cheese, or summer sausage out the bag and NOT gone for it either (I mean weeks plural.) - if it smells right or you can't smell it: chow. Eggs last a surprisingly long time too! If fish smells like fish on the other hand keep dumpster diving - there's half a pork chop down there somewhere!

I've had bad luck freezing dry foods after repacking them in baggies. The insides of the baggies got some moisture in them and some of the things, including jerkey had mold on it when I opened them weeks later on the trail.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++