WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    -

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    . A GSMNP ranger detaining him for 24 hrs. on suspicion of whatever and then refusing his permit. All of that could easily be arranged. Fair or not ?? Who cares. Piss of the powers that be and suffer the consequenses. Harasesment by the cops happens all the time. Easy to set up.
    you have many like minded individuals around the world - N Korea for one

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    I don't have any interest in golf. If people nearby are having a conversation about it, I don't step into the group to announce I don't like golf. It would be boorish.
    Like if someone post a thread about how to hang food the proper way I shouldn't announce that I sleep with my food?

Or if someone posts a thread about how to filter water, I shouldn't point out that I don't like the idea?

OK, I agree.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

If speed hiking is not one of your interests put this particular subforum on ignore rather than dropping churlish posts into the threads here....
    I was pretty sure this was a typo, thing Gator probably meant to type childish, but I looked it up and now it's my word of the day

I'm guessing KM will most likely do a SOBO.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    I was pretty sure this was a typo, thing Gator probably meant to type childish, but I looked it up and now it's my word of the day

Typing about a typo and I made a typo...should have been, thinking

If speed hiking is not one of your interests put this particular subforum on ignore rather than dropping churlish posts into the threads here. You are not trapped in a room and forced to listen to the conversation. You have to open the thread to read it.

I don't have any interest in golf. If people nearby are having a conversation about it, I don't step into the group to announce I don't like golf. It would be boorish.
    Wow, just wow... So let me get this straight - differing opinions are not allowed by the moderators here? Just because someone doesn't agree with your own personal opinion, it is grounds for a scolding? The posts you cited are not off-topic, and are certainly not churlish. There's no vulgarity, no snarkiness, no mean-spiritedness. They are just opinions which are just as valid as any other.

Images

what if you did like golf but thought the current state of the game was negative and overexposure and repetition of certain aspects of it were making it boring? not allowed to comment on that?

Alligator is right, this is a thread/forum about running on the AT and not part of the general forum. It appears on my list along with most all the other new posts in various topic areas, which is why it popped up here and I should have checked the origin.

That said, since I was attributed as being churlish I should clarify it was not my intent to be churlish, but to play on words related to the stated goal of the "Elite Runner" (Runners World title not mine) who claimed he was after the "record" which we all know does not exist but kinda does, sorta. I apologize for the word play and am properly chastened.

Pedaling Fool did have a good point about the "word of the day". To continue on that theme, add "Quixotic" to todays word of the day given the stated position to dissenting opinion. Should be interesting to see how that will be managed across the board.

Totally fascinating audio interview with Meltzer about his failed 2008 and 2014 AT record attempts at MarathonTalk/talk-ultra (episode 70). It's about a 40 min interview that focuses on the 2014 effort. He talks a lot about how difficult certain sections are, how the attempt requires 14-16 hr days, being constantly sleep deprived, and the huge respect he has for Jenn Davis and the plan she put together to get the record ("She was up at 4:45am every day and out at 5:10; me, it took me an hour and freaking half just to get on the trail!"). Just my take, but it seems clear that he wasn't able to stop all of the physical demands and injuries from becoming insurmountable mental barriers. Half through VA, he was about 40 miles behind Davis' time, which would have required him to do multiple 55-mile days, he hadn't been able to put together three consecutive 50 milers, so the mental factors again knocked him out. He said that the AT is "the monkey on my back," but if he can't do it this time, then he'll toss in the towel on an AT attempt. He also talked bluntly about crew issues and the difficulties they face. If you love running and ultras, it's a really fascinating interview and worth the time to listen.

Good talk, thanks John B. These ultra-marathoners doing this is really much like a 100-meter sprinter wanting to win marathons, as crazy as that sounds. Although, his team missing him five times really did hurt.

The words "record attempt" are in the title of the thread.
    Even if you fail to realize what forum it's in.

At the very least if you have such strong opinions on the subject, stands to reason you are familiar with it to begin with.

If we're using obscure words- There are several topics on this site we've set aside in their own sub-forum to avoid being at loggerheads.

Or if you're feeling obtuse-
    Don't piss in my cheerios and I won't shat in your corn flakes.

Images

One part of this story that is uber cool is Jurek crewing the attempt. That shows that the interest in pushing the limits is higher than even personal achievement. Jurek did a great video chat at the Gathering. I had a positive impression of him prior but very positive afterward.

looking forward to to following this attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    Wow, just wow... So let me get this straight - differing opinions are not allowed by the moderators here? Just because someone doesn't agree with your own personal opinion, it is grounds for a scolding? The posts you cited are not off-topic, and are certainly not churlish. There's no vulgarity, no snarkiness, no mean-spiritedness. They are just opinions which are just as valid as any other.
    Be careful. You are treading on dangerous ground.

I am certain I will run afoul of what is tolerated and what is not... if the Speed Goat runs afoul of the law. I have no reason to believe he will. Therefore, I hope to enjoy this attempt as much as I did Anish's.

As to the previous attempt. I was on the edge of my seat watching Scott. When he got to the Kennebec, I was all but certain the record was his (and I stated as much in the main thread at that point). I am still blown away by what he accomplished. I have never said one syllable that suggests his feat was anything less than super human. He deserves that record. I would challenge anyone to find one post that I made that suggests otherwise.

I thoroughly enjoyed following Anish's attempt. I wish there was more of a post hike discussion about that "walk". I suspect I know why there has not been one.

I enjoy all such spectacles. The remote gets quite warm during the Olympics. We watch as much of it as we can. I love seeing the human body pushed to new limits. I like pushing my limits. I live vicariously through every incredible feat that I observe. I am like a little kid that looks up to the fireman or astronaut.

Yes, I will be glued to my seat. I will be cheering for him (now that JPD is no longer the fastest). I cheered for Scott (look it up in the threads) until the crap storm.

I do not grasp the rabid defense of those that do it wrong. I do not grasp why Anish is not celebrated more. Grasping that dynamic and realizing that reality, I am anxious about my ability to follow another test of human endurance and ability.

Yes... I am very much interested. No.. I am not interested in listening to people defend violations. Hopefully, that does not occur. Hopefully, if it happens I can keep my mouth shut (very doubtful)... because some opinions are tolerated and some are not.

Go Karl, go! Have you started yet?
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 12-18-2015 at 11:18.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

After the foolishness of Scott Jurek, the ATC should seriously consider not allowing it. I'm sure it could be arranged.
    Squeezebox just doesn't seem to get the whole America-freedom thing. You don't like it, SB? Who cares

Blame Earl Shaffer.
    He started this whole FKT nonsense.

The trail was never intended to be hiked in one shot, even completing the whole trail is a dubious goal contradictory to the reason it was created.

MacKaye and Avery didn't even get along. I hear it stems from the fact that Avery made the mistake of walking the whole trail, while MacKaye mainly wanted to build shelters to stay at and discuss the trail.

Thru-hiking should be banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Wet Foot View Post
    Squeezebox just doesn't seem to get the whole America-freedom thing. You don't like it, SB? Who cares
    Actually I don't. I believe that 1st and foremost a person needs to be a responsable member of society. Then freedoms can kick in. You do not have a right to step on other people to get/do what you want. Jurek proved his irresponability. I do not trust him. Do you think Baxter does?

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Blame Earl Shaffer.
    He started this whole FKT nonsense.

The trail was never intended to be hiked in one shot, even completing the whole trail is a dubious goal contradictory to the reason it was created.

MacKaye and Avery didn't even get along. I hear it stems from the fact that Avery made the mistake of walking the whole trail, while MacKaye mainly wanted to build shelters to stay at and discuss the trail.

Thru-hiking should be banned.

Ban Nascar first.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Actually I don't. I believe that 1st and foremost a person needs to be a responsable member of society. Then freedoms can kick in. You do not have a right to step on other people to get/do what you want. Jurek proved his irresponability. I do not trust him. Do you think Baxter does?
    This thread is about a shot at the record by Karl, it's not about SJ.

Just defining what a responsible person in society is would be a challenge. However, to give this a different light, who better to support and help this attempt than someone who screwed the pooch doing it?

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    I will direct you first to the sticky for this sub-forum. This subforum is one of several we have set up with specific rules of operation. We have these rules because examples such as what have just occurred in this thread were rampant whenever this topic came up.

The definition of rude is behavior that does not conform to what society says would be polite or good manners or inappropriate subjects of discussion (yourdictionary.com). Let me translate the opening post for some of you.

Karl Meltzer, 2016 AT record attempt… and Jurek will be crewing. Just read it today. Can’t get any better than that!
    John B is enthusiastic about trail running and looking forward to this event.

I hope he does it -- I still have a Speed Goat decal on my truck.
    [Speed Goat is Karl’s nickname]. John B is rooting for him. He is a big fan, he placed this trail runner’s decal on his truck. **** like that doesn’t come off easy, it’s practically permanent [it’s still there]. That’s pretty hardcore really.

So, John B expressed genuine enthusiasm about the event, and then there were yawns and comments about a record not existing. The comments were not in line with the stated rules of the forum (inappropriate subject of discussion). Yawning in response to someone speaking is considered impolite, deliberately typing out a sound that would not be heard is most certainly rude. It is extremely sad that I am forced to defend my comment in regard to such a blatant act of disrespect. Are there no bounds of civility left within us, no modicum of polite discourse that we may, perchance engage in when the hiking gab strikes our fancy?

Alas, enough said about this churlishness. One can respectfully debate the merits of trail running outside of this particular subforum if one wishes to.

*Explanation by AT Traveler noted as well.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

If Jurek celebration was illegal( and he paid for it both morally and financially) ,it has nothing to do with Meltzer's FKT attempt. We need to respect that he has something to prove ,either to himself or others.

Meltzer has had two more run for FKT previously and as far as I am concerned he did not break any rule while trying..

FKT exist , even if you don't like it or believe it, it exist in some hikers mind and I don't see any harm done by runners or hikers for it.

This sub forum and couple of others have extra rules, we either respect them or we can discuss the need to change them in another thread. Breaking the rules of forum to talk about Jurek breaking the rules is let's say ironic.

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++