WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default How to keep electronics charged when hiking - SUAOKI 25W 3 years test and review

How to be energy efficient and keep electronics charged when hiking - SUAOKI 25W 3 years test and Review

Watch the full video here:

This video is a review of our foldable solar panel Suaoki 25W and us sharing some tips on how we keep all of our electronics charged while hiking and backpacking in the wilderness. We are going to talk about the technical specs of it, its features, how efficient and resistant it really is, and overall how we use it and our thoughts about it after 3 years of an active use.

How you keep your electronics charged and what kind of solar panel you use?

Images

overall how we use it and our thoughts about it after 3 years of an active use.

thanks for this....

although i didnt watch the video nor do i use a panel-----a test over 3 years is what i like when it comes to a review....

i hate reviews that say "we used this tent for one weekend and it's great" or a "after using these boots for 25 miles, we found
    these to be the best"..............

to me---those are first impressions and not necessarily a review.....

Nope never have, never will depend on the sun for my energy.
    Didn't watch either.........

Well, it depends on where you are. Hiking on the AT or east coast in general? Not a chance. On the CDT or western trails, works great. The bigger the panel, the greater the success. A 25W panel is pretty significant. Hiking north helps keeping the sun to your back - more or less.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Didn't watch either.........
    Amen! Spread the word!
    Tell the Pres Elect!
    Help stamp out Fabricated Climate Change!
    Wayne

Images

you already do.....

Vitamin D

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    you already do.....

Vitamin D
    Ah, ain't you the clever 1!!

And a covid killer too!!

Time for the Alligator

Didnt watch,,, a text based summary would be far more useful... Videos tend to blah blah blah forever before finally getting to the point. Compared to text that can be scanned to the relevant point in seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    thanks for this....

although i didnt watch the video nor do i use a panel-----a test over 3 years is what i like when it comes to a review....

i hate reviews that say "we used this tent for one weekend and it's great" or a "after using these boots for 25 miles, we found
    these to be the best"..............

to me---those are first impressions and not necessarily a review.....

Thank you for feedback, we do try our best sharing only the reviews of the products we actually tested enough otherwise we feel that it is not fair. Or as you said it can be the first impressions video.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Well, it depends on where you are. Hiking on the AT or east coast in general? Not a chance. On the CDT or western trails, works great. The bigger the panel, the greater the success. A 25W panel is pretty significant. Hiking north helps keeping the sun to your back - more or less.
    As we mention in the video using the solar panel is not for everyone and not everyone needs it, for us it is important as we have a lot of gear to charge and we hike mostly in the places where there are a lot of sunny days, so it makes us far more independent when hiking in the wilderness for many days. Otherwise it is a choice of every particular person and a situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dropdeadfred View Post
    Didnt watch,,, a text based summary would be far more useful... Videos tend to blah blah blah forever before finally getting to the point. Compared to text that can be scanned to the relevant point in seconds.
    We do try to make our videos short enough and on point so that there is no off topic information.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.
    Images

Thank you for the interesting video. I've been wondering about this for quite some time. It seems to be much more affordable than I thought.

When you make your videos, do you use your phones, or do you bring a stand alone camera? If the latter is what you do, can you charge your camera batteries using this setup?

And don't mind the snarky comments above.
    Give me a mile of trail and I can show you the forest. Give me a mile of runway and I can show you the world.
    Long Trail Completed 2021.
    Collegiate Loop 2022

Thanks for the info, good tips and perspectives. I would guess this would work very well for above tree line and farmland hiking that you do, and in the US, on the CDT and PT. Maybe not as much on the AT.

Quote Originally Posted by Funkmeister View Post
    Thank you for the interesting video. I've been wondering about this for quite some time. It seems to be much more affordable than I thought.

When you make your videos, do you use your phones, or do you bring a stand alone camera? If the latter is what you do, can you charge your camera batteries using this setup?

And don't mind the snarky comments above.
    Thank you for your comment. Yes, we bring 3 cameras with us (point and shoot, action cam, and a digital camcorder) and we are able to charge everything from our power bank charged by this solar panel. And we don't actually bring now extra batteries for the cameras and any electronics and just charge everything by USB.

Quote Originally Posted by HankIV View Post
    Thanks for the info, good tips and perspectives. I would guess this would work very well for above tree line and farmland hiking that you do, and in the US, on the CDT and PT. Maybe not as much on the AT.
    Thank you, yes, as we said the efficiency of it will depend from area to area, so it may not be perfect for some places.

Images

I have used a 10w panel attached to my pack for years. I run it to a power pack which is more forgiving to drops in panel output than the phone, when phone needs charged i simply connect it to the power pack which when charged can charge my phone more than 3x and yes i have charged many hiker phones at the shelters. Next to my coffee press it is a luxury item i wouldn't hike without.

++ New Posts ++