WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Bear Mt, NY to DWG

I'll be hiking this section sobo in 3 weeks and was looking for some insight into this part of the trail.

Good section? Water good? Any stores, shower, etc. close to the trail? - you know... the usual questions.. ;-)

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Jim Murray's "Secret Shelter," It's marked by a sign that says "Well Water 100 Yards," thought I don't remember seeing one SoBo (i know there's a NoBo one right before the road. It's Roughly halfway across your entire journey. No doubt the shower water will be turned off by then but it's a warm place to sleep if you've overshot Pochuck Shelter... Go due north on Goldsmith Road, you'll see it. I also think he's got a well.

Water is probably shut off by now at the white house on the descent from Pochuck.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I'll be hiking this section sobo in 3 weeks and was looking for some insight into this part of the trail.

Good section? Water good? Any stores, shower, etc. close to the trail? - you know... the usual questions.. ;-)
    Good time of the year to hike the NY section. I have a soft spot for Jersey, always a good section. There are lots of food options like the Mombasha store, Bellvale Creamery at 17A, Farm at Rt. 94 near Vernon (the church hostel in town has a shower), pub/restaurant at Rt. 206. Not sure how many are open now though. DWG is a good place to finish up, ravage the bakery and shower at the hostel.

Water shouldnt be an issue.

Don't start out of the gate too fast/hard. The section from Bear Mtn to Vernon is challenging, lots of ups and downs. After that, some real smooth sailing.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

ultrarunner, long distance hiker, AT enthusiast

I hiked from High Pt. to DWG in August. Water was in good supply then, and I was happy with the shelters along the way. You pass a nice store on Rt. 206 after Stokes state forest, get a hot meal there
    Check out my blog: greggoodson.com
    Friend me on Facebook: facebook.com/greggoodson
    Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/greggoodson

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for.

Unionville, NY is a nice little place. There is Horlers Grocery Store and you can resupply there easily, they also sell sub sandwhiches, beer and ice cream. There is a pub there called the Backtrack Inn which also lets hikers crash in a small storage shed, or you can camp in the small local park where there is a outhouse and gazebo - cool little town, just half mile off the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    Unionville, NY is a nice little place. There is Horlers Grocery Store and you can resupply there easily, they also sell sub sandwhiches, beer and ice cream. There is a pub there called the Backtrack Inn which also lets hikers crash in a small storage shed, or you can camp in the small local park where there is a outhouse and gazebo - cool little town, just half mile off the trail.
    I love places like this. Hopefully it'll be after I've been hiking for a few days..

I hate passing a good store when I've only been on the trail for a day or so. It means so much more after 4-5 days.. ;-)

I did this SOBO two years ago. I also highly recommend Horlers - the sub sandwiches are huge and there is a little pavillion across the street where you can stop and eat. I didn't do this but I understand you can call the town mayor and he may let you crash at his place and do laundry.

I did stay at the church in Vernon. Great shower, laundry, and lots of restaurants within walking distance. I had to walk from the trail to the church but Father Bob gave me a ride back to the trail the next morning.

I seem to recall an older post that the secret shelter is no longer operational. You might want to check into that. I actually pulled in there around 3, used the shower, and didn't want to stop that early so I kept going.

The section from High Point to DWG is just as rocky as PA.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    The section from High Point to DWG is just as rocky as PA.

Are you talking about High Poinit Shelter to DWG? That's almost half the hike! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Are you talking about High Poinit Shelter to DWG? That's almost half the hike! ;-)
    I think that's an exaggeration. First of all, the initial ascent from DWG to the ridgeline is easy and also pleasant because the creek drowns out the noises of Interstate 80. Secondly, the only place I recall a rockfield really slowing me down a la Pennsylvania was approaching and hiking near Sunfish Pond. I made pretty good time on the rest of NJ.

The other point I'll make is that the first portion of your hike - DWG to Rt. 17A/Greenwood Lake - is easy. From 17A on to Bear Mountain, the trail is noticeably more difficult with lots of short but steep ups and downs. In particular, be careful on the steep descents with thick dry oak leaves underfoot; they're very slippery. West Mountain is especially tricky.

the PA rocks don't end til high point shelter.
    people reach DWG and expect the rocks to just end. they do ease up some.

ERNMAN

When you get to the deli in Unionville, ask where the Mayors house is. Spend a night. We ate dinner, showered, cleaned our laundry and had a great breakfast before heading out again.Dick,Bill and Butch [?] are great people. They also shuttled people up and down the trail so they can slack pack back to the house and stay another night. They would drop off people at warwick and have them walk back to the house.Just an idea to get thru Pochuck and wawayanda with out the weight of a full pack. Also the shelter at High point has a great stream running next to it. Would also suggest staying there. We were at The secret shelter this past memorial day w/e and it was locked up. had an outdoor shower and a hand pump. Looked like a great place to spend a cold night on the trail if accessible. I heard its only opened for fall/winter hikers.. I would check on that. Also a hand pump on Blue Mt. lake rd. The section between High point south to Mohican I thought was very nice. A little rocky in places but some spots had some great views. Mohican center to The south side of Sunfish Pond had some challenging rocks. Good luck... When you get to DWG and you need a ride or anything feel free to get in touch with me....I live 15 mins from the gap.

ERNMAN

http://picasaweb.google.com/socrholic61
    Hers my link from pics of some of my hikes.....Look for the folder marked AT Highpoint- Vernon on Memorial day....This will give you some visuals of the secret shelter, High Point shelter, The mayors house and some of the things you will hike past like the foot bridge. I also have pics in different folders that go from The Del Water Gap all the way to Warwick Typk...Feel free to contact if I can help....

Images

I also walked into Greenwood Lake one day- It was break i needed on my way to Wildcat Shelter (northbound) We road walked back to the trail, the switchbacks down of the ridge were only worth doing once.

Water at "the white house" after Pochuk (southbound) will not be on. There was some jug water on both ends of the Wallkill wildlife area. Thanks to Poolman!
    For we cannot tarry here, We must march my darlings, we must bear the brunt of danger...

Images

The NJ section from DWG to HIgh Point is a great section. Very scenic and follows a ridgeline most of the way. The section from High Point to Vernon is not as good. Very thin tract of land, some road walk and a boardwalk. Take the quick side hike to pinwheel vista in waywayanda...nice view from there. My brother stayed at the Mayor's House in Unionville last month and had a great experience. Enjoy your hike!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    The other point I'll make is that the first portion of your hike - DWG to Rt. 17A/Greenwood Lake - is easy. From 17A on to Bear Mountain, the trail is noticeably more difficult with lots of short but steep ups and downs. In particular, be careful on the steep descents with thick dry oak leaves underfoot; they're very slippery. West Mountain is especially tricky.
    This will be especially so if we have not had a ton of Rain or Snow before your hike to pack them down. I was going SoBo from the bridge thru the park a number of years back and the down hills were nasty like being on ball bearings. Lost footing twice and went down hard. Once they are all packed down not so bad.

You should really like the downed tree on Bucannon (sp) not too far past Fitzgerald Falls. It is about half way up the climb which is in the middle of a bunch of rocks it one of the, too low to get under easy and too tall to straddle types, enjoy!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    The NJ section from DWG to HIgh Point is a great section. Very scenic and follows a ridgeline most of the way. The section from High Point to Vernon is not as good. Very thin tract of land, some road walk and a boardwalk. Take the quick side hike to pinwheel vista in waywayanda...nice view from there. My brother stayed at the Mayor's House in Unionville last month and had a great experience. Enjoy your hike!
    I just did this section 3 weeks ago SOBO from 94 to Mohican. There was only a tiny road walk after Walkill preserve.

I liked the boardwalk, just not the suburbia it was located in.

The kittatinny ridge would have been fantastic if id hadnt been raining.
    For we cannot tarry here, We must march my darlings, we must bear the brunt of danger...

So much good information... thanks!

Just a couple of followups....

1. Any problems finding a place to pitch a tent?

2. Plenty of natural water sources?

3. I'm thinking about starting with 3 days worth of food -any trouble picking up the rest along the way?

4. References have been made to things being closed - I'm assuming that does not reply to stores, etc. (like in SNP...)

I know I could find all this out in the guidebooks, but getting the info firsthand is better I think....

Quote Originally Posted by Totem View Post
    Jim Murray's "Secret Shelter," It's marked by a sign that says "Well Water 100 Yards," thought I don't remember seeing one SoBo (i know there's a NoBo one right before the road. It's Roughly halfway across your entire journey. No doubt the shower water will be turned off by then but it's a warm place to sleep if you've overshot Pochuck Shelter... Go due north on Goldsmith Road, you'll see it. I also think he's got a well.

Water is probably shut off by now at the white house on the descent from Pochuck.
    Correct. The water has been shut off (at the time of my hike, 2 weeks ago). There is no water anywhere near the Pochuck shelter - carry extra.

Also, the rocks don't stop at High Point - they continue all the way to the NY border. After that it's much smoother sailing.
    I enjoyed my stay at Greymoor's ballfield.
    Unionville was nice, too. We stopped there for a beer and some water.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Yeah it is still rocky in sections, N of DWG, but realistically, once you are past Blairsville -Milltown road, it is an old cart path along an incredible ridge for the next 4 miles to Flatbrookville (Blue Mountain Lakes Road) then it is another nice 4 walk to Rattlesnake mountain with a few sprinkling of rocks here and there.
    From RattleSnake Mtn to Brinks Road shelter isn't too bad, but I always think it is rockier from BR Shelter to 206 each time I have done it.
    I do think that this section of NJ (aside from the Pastoral sections) are very scenic, also.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++