WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Walking Sticks

Default Walking Sticks

Is it really necessary to spend over $50 on trekking poles when you can just shave the bark off of two sticks and make your own trekking poles?

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

"If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

A quick search of the forums indicates that yes, it's absolutely necessary, even more, in fact. Or that it's foolish to do so. Doesn't seem to be much middle ground.

Quote Originally Posted by EarlyStarter View Post
    Is it really necessary to spend over $50 on trekking poles when you can just shave the bark off of two sticks and make your own trekking poles?

Is it necessary to ask such a dumb question?
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Is it really necessary to shave the bark off of heavy sticks from the ground when you can just buy your own trekking poles?
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Images

What the heck is wrong with you! If your'e not spending wads of cash on the latest poles, well then sir, you just ain't got it goin' on! Two sticks indeed!
    Won't go without my Therm-A-Rest

Images

Well, I have a P-38 in my pocket, so let's have at it!

My answer is "no", and from the way you worded the question, your answer might be "no", too.

It sounds like you're trying to save some money - maybe??? If that's your over-riding concern, then just go out and get 2 sticks, etc.

Your sticks may not be as lightweight as commercially-made poles, they won't be height-adjustable (won't matter if you made them for you), and, unless you do a lot of work on them at home before you leave, you won't have wrist-cords, padded grips, or any kind of tip on the end. They will wear down over time. But, if a shortage of funds is a problem, and if you don't mind having a "project", then have at it!

I use ski poles in winter, but when the snow is gone, I switch back to my single walking stick. I've carried this one for years - it's got an upper and lower grip area (unpadded), a wrist strap, and a neoprene tip to absorb shock. Heavier than a pole? You bet! Would I part with it? Not for a million bucks!!!

And, yes, I'm CHEAP, but that has nothing to do with my choice!

YMMV.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

I prefer my big heavy single walking stick to any of the poles you can buy. I do trail maintenance on the LSHT even when I'm just walking along and that my big old walking stick is perfect for flinging fairly large log/sticks from the trail when taking the road less traveled. It also is good for those times when you want to pry on something a little to shift it so it doesn't bind the saw. It also gives me something to do during down time in camp--say a zero day or a rain day--I do a little carving or knot work on it just because I can. You can't carve your space age titanium alloy 0.00005gram $1000 set of poles...and in the worst case if it breaks I got nice dry fire wood. So I'll take my heavy walking stick.
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

Sticks, bamboo, or trekking poles they'll all work. Pieces of rope will not.

I used my broomstick with a cane tip for years and loved it. I put it aside when Santa brought me a pair of Pacer Poles. I love them too. Use what works for you, but don't dismiss alternatives out of hand.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog49 View Post
    Is it necessary to ask such a dumb question?
    With that attitude, I bet you'll make lots of friends here, and on the trail.
    Roland

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    I used my broomstick with a cane tip for years and loved it. I put it aside when Santa brought me a pair of Pacer Poles. I love them too. Use what works for you, but don't dismiss alternatives out of hand.
    There's some humor there, like "So how did you get your trail name?"

But I'm not allowed to poke fun here anymore....some folk just get to uppity and whip out their magic wand.....

Great post - good advice.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Hooch... that's a mighty tasty lookin' can o' worms you got there! Your point couldn't have been made more clearly...

Stickman

Images

No - you can use two sticks. However, they will not be as strong, cannot be adjusted to easily carry on your pack if necessary, and they can give you splinters. I hate splinters.

Images

I don't hike with any kind of pole(s)

I make walking sticks, and use them when out for a day hike, or shorter hikes. I find a single stick to work well in that instance. However... on extended hikes I prefer trekking poles. I'm not an expert in any sense, but know what works for me, at this time. The poles give me better balance and alignment, and take a whole lot more stress off of my old bones, on the longer hike. The wooden hiking sticks "feel" better to me on the shorter hikes, where my pace may be much slower, and still provide me with a level of balance, etc. ... Basically, hike with what feels right for you, what works for you. (any gear...) If it stops working for you, then make changes to your gear. No one will tell you that you can't, albeit folks will be very helpful in making suggestions.

Stickman

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jesse View Post
    You got something against people from Poland?!?

Just askin'.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Images

Trekking poles rock!

my question is, why are you questioning this? if two sticks works for you, what do you care what everybody else thinks?

Quote Originally Posted by jesse View Post
    racist!

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++