WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How crazy am I to attempt a NOBO in July?

I don't really care much about horrible weather conditions, or the threat of having to bail out early.

I was just kind of wondering how late is considered "too late" for someone that is in shape, can walk from dusk til dawn, and has an abnormal amount of will?

If you left within the next two days you'd have to average 27 miles a day to finish...and that is average. That is with no days off...every time you take a day off your average goes down, so you'd really be talking about 30+ mile days if you took a day off every 10 days. And that's if you came flying out of the gate at that speed without working up to it. If you start slower, you're probably talking in the range of 35+ miles a day.

Quote Originally Posted by airduct8088 View Post
    I don't really care much about horrible weather conditions, or the threat of having to bail out early.

I was just kind of wondering how late is considered "too late" for someone that is in shape, can walk from dusk til dawn, and has an abnormal amount of will?
    dusk til dawn in northern NE in nov, dec, is tight. sun more or less skims across the horizon for a few hours, and then goes down. generally days get short across the whole trail during winter, nothing a good headlamp can't combat, if one doesn't mind night hiking on a regular basis.

i doubt a single day goes by on the AT where a thru hiker isn't out there somewhere.

2010 complete

what's wrong with starting a hike and enjoying the journey? So what if you don't get all the way thru Maine the first outing? I wouldn't focus on 27 miles a day. The summer beauty and fall colors will find you wherever you are on the trail. I don't understand the whole competition thing. Sure, I want to complete the trail; but in it's time.

What's crazy is to spend your life wanting to hike the AT, and never actually doing it. You're quite sane. Enjoy yourself.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

I always hear people say, it's never too late.

Images

Late fall and winter are some of my favorite times on the trail. you have it to yourself, the views are better, a good campfire has never felt or looked better than on a cold dark night, no bugs, and you have the knowledge that you are on to a good thing while the rest of the world thinks your nuts.

Plan well have the right gear and know about winter conditions and the extra care needed to avoid cold weather problems and you will have a great time. I am just curious about one thing why NoBo and not a late SoBo trek?

If you really want to complete it starting now, and aren't afraid of some chills, do a SOBO. That's still feasible.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    what's wrong with starting a hike and enjoying the journey? So what if you don't get all the way thru Maine the first outing? I wouldn't focus on 27 miles a day. The summer beauty and fall colors will find you wherever you are on the trail. I don't understand the whole competition thing. Sure, I want to complete the trail; but in it's time.
    Thats the ticket right there.

Catskill 3500 #1575
    Images

If you build and install ductwork in Texas in July you'll have no problem with the AT.

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    Late fall and winter are some of my favorite times on the trail. you have it to yourself, the views are better, a good campfire has never felt or looked better than on a cold dark night, no bugs, and you have the knowledge that you are on to a good thing while the rest of the world thinks your nuts.

Plan well have the right gear and know about winter conditions and the extra care needed to avoid cold weather problems and you will have a great time. I am just curious about one thing why NoBo and not a late SoBo trek?
    First let me say, thank you all for the positive feedback.

The main reason for a NoBo is that the end of this hike coincides with my temporary departure from TX. I have various relationships and connections in the northeast.

Again, thank you all. I really wasn't expecting much activity on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by STEVEM View Post
    If you build and install ductwork in Texas in July you'll have no problem with the AT.
    Hahaha.. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    I'll be the 3rd to say it: why not SOBO?
    Because my destination, beyond hiking, is the NE.

Without getting into too much detail, new opportunities await in the NE. This includes Maine and Virgina.

What better way to get there then via the trail?

Thanks again.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I don't really care much about horrible weather conditions,

Just wondering if you have been in horrible weather conditions (like sub zero temps, feet of snow, etc which is what will happen in the NE by the time you arrive) because it is easy to say when sitting in comfort at a keyboard. Quite another to be out in it, enduring it day in and day out, week after week. And to hear other hiker's stories of what they endured. A whole other ball game. Esp the winter conditions - of which I hear this year could be nasty with el nino. Just things to consider when planning. I mean if you want to go and see where you get, go for it. But I doubt you will make it to the Northeast which is where you want to go. If I were you, I'd start at Harpers Ferry and go north. Thin flip and go south. Makes total sense.

And Virginia is not the Northeast and a far cry weather wise than Maine. 2 different weather systems.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

You can easily hike from Georgia to Virginia starting now. If you want to go to Maine, I'd recommend starting at Harper's Ferry.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

just do it. don't ask people on here that have never attempted it. have fun

If you start mid July, you have realistically 100 days to hike the trail. you will still have plenty of cold, snowy weather in Maine, if you make it that far.

You stated Maine or Virginia. A better plan would be to take the 100 days and just hike Springer to Harpers Ferry or maybe somewhere in PA. Get off the trail when the weather starts to get cold for you. Im from Michigan originally, so it has to get pretty cold to keep me off the trail, but everyone is different. You will know when you are no longer comfortable. Have fun and enjoy the trip instead of focusing on huge miles. You might not get to pass that way again.

Images

Calling Virginia a Northeastern State? Them there's fighting words. General Lee and Jackson are rolling over in their graves.
    Lemni Skate away

The trail will save my life

Images

Thumbs up Sobo

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    just do it. don't ask people on here that have never attempted it. have fun
    uhuh .. well i believe i thru hiked .. could be wrong ... or atleast
    attempted to .. but whatev

GO SOBO !! and take your sweet ass time too

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++