WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 100 Mile Wilderness

I have several questions about the 100 mile wilderness. Exactly where is it considered to begin and end? How long does it usually take to do this section? I'm not a particularly fast hiker, but planned an average 10-12 miles per day while section hiking in the states below MA. And secondly, are there possibilities now to resupply along the way, either by caching or to have someone bring in a supply. Any recommendations?
    Mama Llama

I used the 100 Mile Wilderness Outfitter to help me plan this stretch of trail. He was extremely helpful. He picked me up in Bangor and took me to Baxter the next morning. He resupplied me at the Jo Mary Road so I didn't have to carry all of my food. Then when I got to Monson his place is right by the trail so I stayed there. It was still being built at the time but he was putting in mini cabins and showers. I think he was getting bikes so you could easily get back and forth to Monson. He held a mail drop for me there as well. His name was Phil and he had hiked thru-hiked three times so he was a wealth of information.

It begins and ends in either Monson or the Golden road that borders BSP. You will see signs saying you will die if you dont have 10 days worth of food on both ends.

The Northern end is fairly flat for about 60 miles. The Southern 40 miles is pretty much steep ups and downs. Last year we went from Daicey pond to Monson, about 110 miles, in 9 days. We didn't really push ourselves, either. Several well traveled logging roads where you can get resupplied, if you need to. Make arrangements at Shaw's or as suggested above. We ran into a hiker feed put on by SamIAm just after The Hermitage. KI-Jo Mary road, I think.
    Last edited by egilbe; 04-19-2017 at 17:47.

Journal Entries

When we did this section last year, we flew into Bangor and rented a car. Left the rental (with clean clothes and food resupply) at JoMary Road. Used the AT Lodge in Millinocket to shuttle us from JoMary to Baxter. Only problem was that mice got in the car.

It's 100 miles. The northern end is Abol Bridge, just outside the (southern) boundary of Baxter State Park. The southern end is where the AT crosses Maine Highway 15, a few miles west of Monson.

At 15 miles per day, it'll take about a week. I've done it twice now, seven days each time. As egilbe says -- it's relatively easy in the northern half, and becomes more difficult in the southern half, with two major ridges to ascend and descend.

Yes there are hostels and other services that can help with resupply, shuttles, etc. Shaw's in Monson is one of them. Consult the usual AT guides (eg. Dave Miller's guide) for additional services. There's a place called White House Landing about 30 miles south of Abol Bridge -- WHL can provide lodging, meals, and limited resupply. But better check with them to make sure they're open for business, I remember one recent season where they were closed.

Images

Just to add to what has been said above... Caching would be frowned on in this section. Food drops used to be able to be left unattended, but (due to garbage strewn, hiker issues, and the potential to habituate critters) that changed a few years back. Now all food drops must be met in person. If you are from away it is really hard to know what land is private property in that area.

There are a few companies you can contact for food drops - there are multiple opportunities within the Hundred Mile. As stated above, the Hundred Mile is bordered by the Golden Road on the northern end, and Monson on the southern end. There are 4 main companies you can turn to for services (lodging, transportation, food drops, etc):

Millinocket (northern end):

The Appalachian Trail Lodge - http://appalachiantraillodge.com/

Monson:

Shaw's (Hiker Hostel) - http://www.shawshikerhostel.com/
    Lakeshore House - http://thelakeshorehouse.com/
    100 Mile Wilderness Adventures & Outfitters (listed in a post above...this is Phil Pepin's business) - http://100milewilderness.info/

One more suggestion - take your time when you hike this section. It is gorgeous and worth the mosey. If you have time be sure to take in some of the waterfalls at Gulf Hagas (the Grand Canyon of Maine) along the way!

Quote Originally Posted by lukabrazi View Post
    I used the 100 Mile Wilderness Outfitter to help me plan this stretch of trail. He was extremely helpful. He picked me up in Bangor and took me to Baxter the next morning. He resupplied me at the Jo Mary Road so I didn't have to carry all of my food. Then when I got to Monson his place is right by the trail so I stayed there. It was still being built at the time but he was putting in mini cabins and showers. I think he was getting bikes so you could easily get back and forth to Monson. He held a mail drop for me there as well. His name was Phil and he had hiked thru-hiked three times so he was a wealth of information.
    Definitely a good option. I did the same. His name is Phil Peppin and he is a 2 or 3 time thru hiker of the AT. http://100milewilderness.info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

If you plan on carrying all of your food I recommend going southbound thru the easier terrain while your pack is heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliotrope View Post
    If you plan on carrying all of your food I recommend going southbound thru the easier terrain while your pack is heavier.

I agree. I'm pretty happy I didn't lug a 40 pound pack up the Barren/Chairback range and Whitecap. By the time we hit White cap, our food was substantially eaten down. I still resented carrying those extra two meals I didnt eat because of the unexpected hiker feeds. A through hiker called us badass because we didnt have to resupply. I think foolish would have worked just as well.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    I agree. I'm pretty happy I didn't lug a 40 pound pack up the Barren/Chairback range and Whitecap. By the time we hit White cap, our food was substantially eaten down. I still resented carrying those extra two meals I didnt eat because of the unexpected hiker feeds. A through hiker called us badass because we didnt have to resupply. I think foolish would have worked just as well.
    How many backpackers are out for that many days without resupply? It took me 8 full days the first time, I foolishly lugged all my food and gear in a frameless pack with no hip belt. That sucked until day 5. But I loved every minute of it.

Images

I'll be doing the HMW in September. Thanks to all for all the good intell.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

September is the PERFECT time to do the 100-mile wilderness. no bugs, mud at a minimum, colors starting up, and you get those crisp fall days! It's June you want to avoid.

To answer the op, at risk of repeating others, plan on about 10 days. roughly 10 miles a day. Many thru-hikers will do this section in about 5 days but they are racing to get their hike done.. and what a shame as this is such a beautiful section of trail! It at last used to be you could stop in at White House Landing about half way thru (.9 mile side trail then a short boat ride) and even spend night and get the 1 pound cheeseburgers! Supplies are expensive. failing that, you can survive without resupply. Just carry more weight (say 50 pounds) or hike faster (and be done in 5-6 days instead of 8-10).

let me repeat.. the 100 mile wilderness is really remote and gorgeous and you should take the time to enjoy it. It starts a few miles outside of Monson and ends at Abol Bridge.

I've done it in June and in September and had a great time both times. Yes some thrus have a psychologial problem at this point, all they care about is how many more days, and what they are going to eat when they reach civilization. Totally self centered and sick of hiking. But most other hikers are good company. Section hikers are fresh and enthusiastic, if not quite as fit.

The 'hundred is too nice to race through. Savor it.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    September is the PERFECT time to do the 100-mile wilderness. no bugs, mud at a minimum, colors starting up, and you get those crisp fall days! It's June you want to avoid.
    Many thru-hikers will do this section in about 5 days but they are racing to get their hike done.. and what a shame

Quote Originally Posted by pkinnetz View Post
    I have several questions about the 100 mile wilderness. Exactly where is it considered to begin and end? How long does it usually take to do this section? I'm not a particularly fast hiker, but planned an average 10-12 miles per day while section hiking in the states below MA. And secondly, are there possibilities now to resupply along the way, either by caching or to have someone bring in a supply. Any recommendations?
    With good weather, the 10-12 miles a day shouldn't be a problem, but you can't count on having good weather for the entire trip. The last time I hiked the 100 Miles Wilderness, the remains of a hurricane passed through Maine. It rained constantly for about 36 hours. The trail was slick and muddy. It became impossible to maintain the 12 mile a day pace. It was the only time I have bailed out of a planned hike.

The good news is that even though it is remote, there are lots of places to bail out if you need to do so.
    Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    With good weather, the 10-12 miles a day shouldn't be a problem, but you can't count on having good weather for the entire trip.
    I've only done the HMW once before, and I got two hurricanes that week. I pushed hard and managed the 100 miles in 7 days, but I was scrambling over and around blowdowns, and wading knee-deep in the flats (beaver dams plus lots of rain). Thought I had a generous 8 days of food, but used it up in just over 6 days.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

I did the 100MW in 2010. I stopped at White House Landing and resupplied there. Understandably costs a little more but not that bad.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Thanks for sharing your photos...they're stunning.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++