WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Fisher View Post
    Would it be possible to leave sooner this year? Like maybe, June 14-15th?
    I hope so, that's around my start date, too.

Snow situation around the upper Arkansas valley is very poor, maybe not quite as bad as last year but real close. I would echo other's suggestions to not rely on alcohol or wood, there will almost certainly be justifiable fire bans.That said I remain optimistic. It's been picking up a bit over the last month.

looks like you guys are getting some decent snow now.....later next week as well

Droughts come and go, always have and always will.

However, you do have to wonder how some of our effects on the regional habitat can have a worsening cumulative effect on the situation. For example the invasive trees in various areas, such as the Tamarisk and others in Colorado. Or the Red Cedar in other areas, here's an interesting story (with video) about a plan to train prisoners to cut the trees down, because they suck up tons of water and are a major fire hazard. http://kfor.com/2012/09/08/state-rep...wildfire-plan/

And we killed tons of buffalo; without the presence of grazing animals the process of desertification is greatly increased.

I guess my question is then, if we're in for a dry summer with (more than likely) some fire, is it better to move my start date earlier? I was planning on beginning of August, but I'm pretty flexible (can't leave much later, however).

Hopefully the snow updates I see around Breckenridge are a good indication that the state is getting some needed moisture...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    I guess my question is then, if we're in for a dry summer with (more than likely) some fire, is it better to move my start date earlier? I was planning on beginning of August, but I'm pretty flexible (can't leave much later, however).

Hopefully the snow updates I see around Breckenridge are a good indication that the state is getting some needed moisture...
    Yep, getting some excellent moisture, I was just looking for the most current % of averag, the web page won't seem to load, but I think we're on average in the high 80% range for the state, maybe a tad better. Despite claims, no one has any clue whatsoever what the summer will be like, please don't plan around pure guesswork. Furthermore, most of the CO trail does not go through "typical" fire-country, though of course fires can happen anywhere. Only the first 100 miles or so are in a more likely fire area (Waterton Canyon to Breck-ish)

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Yep, getting some excellent moisture, I was just looking for the most current % of averag, the web page won't seem to load, but I think we're on average in the high 80% range for the state, maybe a tad better.
    79% currently
    ftp://ftp-fc.sc.egov.usda.gov/CO/Sno...pdate_snow.pdf

Interesting reading:
    http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2013...ook.html?_r=1&
    http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories...ngoutlook.html
    http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/product...l_drought.html

Having said that, really can't tell until earliy-ish June.

But, I would not be surprised if the trend of hot and dry summers continues...at least this year. This is just a guess, but no worse/better than any other lay-person's.

The problem with the CT is not so much the fires, as the fire bans that can come from the possible above conditions.

Wait and see is all we can really do.
    Last edited by Mags; 03-26-2013 at 17:40.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Despite claims, no one has any clue whatsoever what the summer will be like, please don't plan around pure guesswork.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    The problem with the CT is not so much the fires, as the fire bans that can come from the possible above conditions. Wait and see is all we can really do.
    Excellent bits of advice. Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by On Track View Post
    Excellent bits of advice. Thanks all.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT8UhqNyhB4

Images

79% currently
    ftp://ftp-fc.sc.egov.usda.gov/CO/Sno...pdate_snow.pdf

The problem with the CT is not so much the fires, as the fire bans that can come from the possible above conditions.
    Only 79% eh? That's a tad disappointing. But why are fie bans a problem on the CT? Only issue is you cannot have campfires, which is impractical along much of the CT anyway, nor can you use Alchy stoves. BTW: Fire Bans are usually localized, though sometimes they are Statewide. We'll see how it shapes up.

This is depressing: http://www.cpachecojr.com/cgi-bin/wo...=colo&format=1

For me, what's upsetting about fire bans isn't my inability to stoke a campfire. It's because bans occur primarily in response to extreme drought conditions.
    "We can no longer live as rats. We know too much." -- Nicodemus

Only 79% eh? That's a tad disappointing. But why are fie bans a problem on the CT? Only issue is you cannot have campfires, which is impractical along much of the CT anyway, nor can you use Alchy stoves..

For people who use alchy stoves, Esbit or wood stoves, that is the problem. (A good chunk of thru-hikers)

During the open fire bans, you essentially only can use canister or white gas stoves. Or go stoveless (my personal choice).
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Are rangers or other officials making hikers dump out their packs in front of them or something?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by maybe clem View Post
    Are rangers or other officials making hikers dump out their packs in front of them or something?
    No, of course not. In 35 years of hiking in Colorado, I've never even SEEN a ranger in the backcountry, except in Rocky Mtn. Ntaional Park.

As for rangers in the backcountry, seen them in the San Juans a decent amount of times (not recently..cut backs?) and in the popular Indian Peaks Wilderness for sure. Now that I think about, saw them in the Comanche Peak wilderness just north of the park too.

Will they make you dump out your pack? Naaah. If they see you using an open flame, though, well....

But, it's not a question of getting caught, it's a question about doing the right thing.

People were fined last year (granted not far in the backcountry. Using a charcoal grill on a FS road during an open fire ban comes to mind as one example.). There was one incident in the foothills outside of Ft. Collins where a person started a fire with an alcohol stove and was fined as well.

More importantly, though, if there is a ban on your type of stove, do you really want to use something just because it is not as convenient for you to pay attention to the ban? A canister stove weighs 3 oz, cost $10 for a Chinese knock-off and is pretty easy to get canisters for.

And if you should accidentally start a fire like this gentleman, esp during a open flame ban, you will be in a world of fecal matter.

If the bans do happen (to emphasize, as Rob correctly said, we do not know yet), suck it up and do the right thing.
    Last edited by Mags; 03-27-2013 at 17:08.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

But, it's not a question of getting caught, it's a question about doing the right thing.
    I wasn't advocating doing otherwise. I don't hike to give up my privacy. The idea of being approached by someone demanding I show them the contents of my pack was pretty off-putting. I'm glad to hear that's not going on.

Quote Originally Posted by maybe clem View Post
    The idea of being approached by someone demanding I show them the contents of my pack was pretty off-putting. I'm glad to hear that's not going on.
    Rangers may demand to see a bear canister though in the High Sierra. But that's another story.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++