WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Blairsville, georgia

If you decidenot to stay at the Walasi-Yi Center and want to try something different. Ihighly recommend the North Georgia town of Blairsville. It is a fairly easyhitch north on US 19, about 14 miles or so. When you get there, highlyrecommend the Seasons Inn. Chris and Colleen are gracious host and very hikerfriendly. For eats, I recommend the "Hole in the Wall Cafe" forbreakfast. Their sausage gravy and bisques are to die for. Tell that to mycardiologist. There is an all you can eat pizzeria across the street from theSeasons Inn and all you can eat Chinese restaurant close by. If you need toresupply, there are several grocery stores, as well as hardware and a pharmacy.When you're ready to hit the trail, just park yourself at the gas station onthe town square and stick out your thumb. Folks up there are used to seeinghikers and will give you a lift back up to Neels Gap. See ya on the Trail.Swagman.

Images

For the best breakfast in Blairsville you go to the Sawmill.

The Sawmill is good but so is the Hole in the Wall and the "decorations" have to be seen to be believed. Blairsville is an overlooked "perfect" hiker town with EVERYTHING that you might need within 1 mile of the Seasons Inn. There are also several past thru hikers that live in the area and are willing to help out hikers. Boudin and Bisquit Knees do some overflow shuttling in the area to several of the gaps for Winton. Shuttles may also be possible from Atlanta to Blairsville as Boudin works in Atlanta. A great AT town that is rarely visited due to it's proximity to the beginning.

geek

Does anyone know any good BBQ places in Blairsville?

Country food, mexican food, seafood, cajun food, oriental food and tons of fast food...not sure of BBQ. Will check w/ Boudin and get back to you....
    just remembered...can't think of the name but it is right in town on the only 4 lane road in town...1/4 mile from the Season Inn. BBQ there was good.

geek

Rib Country is pretty good BBQ...down past the Home Depot. OK...now everyone can start arguing about BBQ......

Oh...Blairsville has a hospital and a newer Wal-Mart too.

Thanks. I'm looking for a mom and pop type BBQ place to eat at the night before we hit the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by clsvideo View Post
    Thanks. I'm looking for a mom and pop type BBQ place to eat at the night before we hit the trail.
    Blairsville is a nice town. I live in Union County and get up there several times a year. I will second Rib Country. But Blairsville is not close to Springer if that is where you are hitting the trail. Your best bet for bbq would be Dahlonega and the best in Dahlonega is Smokin Gold BBQ.

Between Neels and Blairsville is a delightful little area called Booger Hollow. (on 129) Joes? Jim's? Smokin' Pig has the Best BBQ, pulled pork...ribs to kill for...How can you go wrong with a place that advertises that " You can smell our butts for miles!"
    A real hiker place.
    Pirate recommended, if you bring him some.
    "You don't have to think fast if you move slow" Red Green

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Elder View Post
    Between Neels and Blairsville is a delightful little area called Booger Hollow. (on 129) Joes? Jim's? Smokin' Pig has the Best BBQ, pulled pork...ribs to kill for...How can you go wrong with a place that advertises that " You can smell our butts for miles!"
    A real hiker place.
    Pirate recommended, if you bring him some.

Donna and Jim aren't at Booger Holler anymore. They got a real restaurant about a mile further down 19/129 on the right.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I love Blairsville- stayed there at the finish of my SOBO hike last fall. Saw one of my books there at the book shop too. Nice town and people

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by FatMan View Post
    Blairsville is a nice town. I live in Union County and get up there several times a year. I will second Rib Country. But Blairsville is not close to Springer if that is where you are hitting the trail. Your best bet for bbq would be Dahlonega and the best in Dahlonega is Smokin Gold BBQ.
    Thanks. We are car camping at Vogel State Park the first night then getting shuttled to Springer the next day. Then we'll hike from Springer back to Vogel. So, we'll be eating near Vogel the first night.

Default cabins in Blairsville-Springer area

Quote Originally Posted by clsvideo View Post
    Thanks. We are car camping at Vogel State Park the first night then getting shuttled to Springer the next day. Then we'll hike from Springer back to Vogel. So, we'll be eating near Vogel the first night.
    I have a couple of cabins that we rent in the area. Either would be great for starting and perfect for a spouse/family to 'command post' from for the first week of a thru (for spending a few nights in a cabin instead of a tent, with family-support shuttles.)

VRBO.com/238274
    VRBO.com/307647

best to book early to reserve you dates.

thanks, hobby

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    Donna and Jim aren't at Booger Holler anymore. They got a real restaurant about a mile further down 19/129 on the right.
    It's still Booger Holler..just not in the convience store.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Elder View Post
    It's still Booger Holler..just not in the convience store.
    No its not. Trust me. Thats where my family has lived for hundreds of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    No its not. Trust me. Thats where my family has lived for hundreds of years.
    OK....explains a lot!

0403111046.jpgI though it was a joke at first. You gotta see it to believe it!

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Jim's Smokin' Que has the best BBQ east of Texas and serves truly unique sauces but be aware that they're only open Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

++ New Posts ++