WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Looking forward to the video.
    And will there be a package of stove and simmer ring too on the site?
    Would also like to hear your thoughts on the storage of the stove in the container with remaining fuel after snuffing.
    Thanks Dan!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rstms View Post
    Looking forward to the video.
    And will there be a package of stove and simmer ring too on the site?
    Would also like to hear your thoughts on the storage of the stove in the container with remaining fuel after snuffing.
    Thanks Dan!
    Sorry for dragging my feet on doing the video.

I will get a listing for the stove and simmer ring combination on Monday.

Here is a video produced by "Shug"

I had been looking at your FFStove and simmer ring for a while. Placed my order yesterday morning after watching Shug's video.

The simmer ring worked great for me. It's perfect for soups and avoiding burning your titanium pot I even cooked a biscuit (this requires extra care, patience and equipment. One has to really want a biscuit to go through the trouble) and egg with it. It's a good option for those that enjoy cooking and not just boiling on the trail.

Mine arrived today from Zelph and I am very pleased. The efficiency and control is a nice option to have. 2 cup indoor boil times (roughly) around 6 minutes using 3/4 oz of fuel - 8 minute total burn time.

Filled the stove to it's max fuel level of 3oz, brought 2 cups of water to a boil, applied simmer ring and kept the boil rolling low up to a total burn time of an hour and 48 minutes. This was using an Imusa 12cm pot with lid and Yellow Heet.

Images

Wow!!! an hour and 48 min of simmer time :-) that is a whole lot of "cooking" time. Amazing how much can be had in a small package. Glad the simmer ring is working well for everyone. :-) Thanks to Lzeplin for wanting the Fancee Feest to have the capability to simmer. It was designed for him.
    Last edited by zelph; 11-13-2014 at 15:04.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Matt65 View Post
    Mine arrived today from Zelph and I am very pleased. The efficiency and control is a nice option to have. 2 cup indoor boil times (roughly) around 6 minutes using 3/4 oz of fuel - 8 minute total burn time.

Filled the stove to it's max fuel level of 3oz, brought 2 cups of water to a boil, applied simmer ring and kept the boil rolling low up to a total burn time of an hour and 48 minutes. This was using an Imusa 12cm pot with lid and Yellow Heet.

Does the fiberglass wrap on your mug handle allow you to pick it up right after the water comes to a boil?

Make sure the bottom of your pot is clean so the stove does not stick to it when lifting up.

Red the comments/advice that "shug" gives in his video. He emphasizes "Practice"

Last edited by zelph; 11-14-2014 at 10:18.

I have fiberglass wrap on my 10cm and yes...I can pick it up during boiling.

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Does the fiberglass wrap on your mug handle allow you to pick it up right after the water comes to a boil?

Make sure the bottom of your pot is clean so the stove does not stick to it when lifting up.

Red the comments/advice that "shug" gives in his video. He emphasizes "Practice"

Yes the wick helps a lot. Outdoors it is almost always enough insulation to keep it cool enough to pick up. Sometimes indoors it can be picked up, but not held for long immediately after a boil.

Question

Is the simmer ring right up against (touching) the cat can or is there a very small air gap?
    It looks like the simmer ring is about 1/4 inch lower than the top of the pot holder/center ring?

It is the DIY forum after all and the blood is calling me! Figure it can't hurt to ask...

Lightbulb Zelph Rules

Ok so I couldn't wait and just got in there and started experimenting..
    I used a 16oz can from some baked beans we had with our burgers tonight and I went to town. Same size as a 15oz can of veggies, etc. pretty standard stuff.
    I did end up using those dimensions...

IT WORKED GREAT!

1117142253.jpg1117142221.jpg1117142221a.jpg

I got a 33 minute 8 second total burn time! It did start wickering at about 31 and a half.
    It took about 20 minutes to bring 2 1/2 cups of cold water to a boil if that gives an idea of how low the heat is.

Thanks for the inspiration! This opens a whole new world of back country cooking to me!
    Thank you thank you!

oops.. forgot to say it was only one ounce of denatured alcohol.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TwistingInTheWind View Post
    Is the simmer ring right up against (touching) the cat can or is there a very small air gap?
    It looks like the simmer ring is about 1/4 inch lower than the top of the pot holder/center ring?

It is the DIY forum after all and the blood is calling me! Figure it can't hurt to ask...
    The ring is about 3/16" away from the stove and bout 1/4 shorter.

The v notches give just the right amount of air access. The notches go to the edge where you see the fiberglass, 4 of them.

You did good!!!! :-)

Now you will become a wilderness chef. Eat well, hike a lot, enjoy life :-)

I tried the fiberglass wick wrapped around the handle of a 12cm Imusa and my fingers could not stand the 212 degree heat....call me wuss! :-)
    Last edited by zelph; 11-19-2014 at 16:38.

Yup! That's exactly what I ended up with.
    I made the "V" notches an inch wide at the top and brought them down to where the wick starts.

The Bush's baked beans can worked really well. I tried the same with a can of green beans tonight so I could give one to a friend but I found that the can wasn't as nice to work with. The Bush's can has a pull top which doesn't leave much of a sharp edge around the rim, it peals off very close to the can. Much nicer to work with than the can of green beans I worked with tonight... I had to grind that sharp edge off. The Bush's can has a white liner inside of it too, not sure what it is but I'm guessing it will help give some corrosion resistance. It didn't seem to be effected by the 3 test burns I've done.
    The cans are the same size, its just easier to work with the Bush's can.
    The old adage is true:
    Beans, Beans, they are good for your heart!

I am looking forward to my pancakes, cornbread muffins, red beans & rice, etc, etc...
    MMMmmmmm!

Thanks again Zelph!

Journal Entries
    Images

Well Zelph - I have been following your posts for years. Here is the $$$ question I have made a personal pick of your favorite stoves and after numerous tests - I would like to find out what your personal fav on the trail that you have made, that is the best fuel to boil - not speed just efficient, Whats your best hybrid that sips fuel?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Just another cat food can stove. Will name it at a later date.

Weighs 24 grams, 2-1/2 inches in diameter, 2-1/4 inches tall

Fuel capacity is 3 ounces

Boils 2 cups of water in 6 min using 1/2 ounce denatured alcohol

Boils 12 cups of water in 29 min Rolling Boil, steam pumpin the lid up, using 3 ounces of denatured. Continued to boil an additionl 5 min.

I used a 12 cup aluminum pot as shown in photo. Because the stove boiled for an additional 5 min, I think it will boil 16 cups(1 gallon) using 3 ounces of fuel. That's efficient.

The stove burns at a steady rate, no indication of fuel heating up and burning at a faster rate.

Stove accomodates the Heinekin pots nicely and works great with the bigger 12 cup capacity pots.

Will do further testing this weekend.

I noticed that many of the test are done on water that is at room temp. I would be interested in the times that it takes for things to boil when the water is more like we find outdoors. Say 60 to 50 degrees.

I noticed that many of the test are done on water that is at room temp. I would be interested in the times that it takes for things to boil when the water is more like we find outdoors. Say 60 to 50 degrees.
    ~misprof

I always use cold water when I do my tests because I do want to simulate the water I'm going to find on the trail. In fact, when I did my simmer ring test I had to add ice cubes to the water after a while because I didn't want it to boil over and I was achieving boil times longer than I could get before.

The condition that I did not have was that the STOVE and FUEL was at room temperature and no wind because I was in my kitchen.. I have used my other alcohol stove in negative zero temps and here is a difference in performance.
    If I go outside tonight it is 26 degrees and I know the stove will run better in the summer.
    The control in the experiment for this is probably more important to be the ambient temperature of the environment than the water.

I'm really looking forward to using my Fancee Feest because I already see how it runs more efficiently than my Axe Can stove. Especially with the added versatility with the simmer ring!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Well Zelph - I have been following your posts for years. Here is the $$$ question I have made a personal pick of your favorite stoves and after numerous tests - I would like to find out what your personal fav on the trail that you have made, that is the best fuel to boil - not speed just efficient, Whats your best hybrid that sips fuel?
    I now use a Caldera Cone with a 32ounce beer can pot that has ridges placed so the pot sits deep into the cone. I use a special DIY burner that holds 2.5 ounces of fuel. The opening in the burner is the same as the Modified StarLyte burner. The 32 ounce can allows me to have enough water for a meal and a drink in one heating. I'm freezer-bagger.

The Modified StarLyte is the most fuel efficient as long as a windscreen is used.

Way back, Sgt. Rock kinda established the standards for designing stoves. 70 degree starting water temp and 70 degree air temp and calm conditions.

Im sure loving my fancy feast simmer ring I won't leave home without it. Thank you Zelph for making it for me!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lzeplin View Post
    Im sure loving my fancy feast simmer ring I won't leave home without it. Thank you Zelph for making it for me!
    Your idea worked out well, thank you.

Do you think I should eliminate the small finger handle on the side the ring, is it useful?

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++