WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: mouse traps

Default mouse traps

Here's the idea. If everyone brought a mouse trap with them, and a little bait, we could put a substantial dent in the shelter mouse population. But I feel maybe I'm missing something.

It's like trapping squirrels in your yard - you will never run out or catch them all.

The mice live naturally in the woods around the shelter. Killing the ones in the shelter just provides an opportunity for other mice to move in.

Journal Entries
    Images

I'm trying to convince my cats to come hike with me. They have other ideas.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
    Here's the idea. If everyone brought a mouse trap with them, and a little bait, we could put a substantial dent in the shelter mouse population. But I feel maybe I'm missing something.
    It would be futile to try and control the population using traps, kind of like trying to put out a forest fire with a squirt gun. Besides, I venture onto the A.T. With the intention of hiking, not the intention of killing animals. I'll save hunting for hunting season.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 11-13-2013 at 13:56.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I've followed behind hikers who used mouse traps. So long as your a day or two behind them, it's great. But please dispose of your kills properly. Leaving them in front of the shelter for people to step on isn't nice, nor is stringing them up for display.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

That's a pretty serious infestation, RS! But I gotta wonder if there's a giant unprotected food source (like a grain silo) somewhere nearby. It's not like they eat dirt. Or maybe the video is staged.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    That's a pretty serious infestation, RS! But I gotta wonder if there's a giant unprotected food source (like a grain silo) somewhere nearby. It's not like they eat dirt. Or maybe the video is staged.
    Holy Hanta!

Yeah no doubt something is keeping them going.

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

If you kill them, you gotta eat them. Otherwise leave them alone. It's the only ethical solution.
    "Waning Gibbous" would be a great trail name.

Journal Entries

I didn't have any problem with them from Georgia to Maine, though perhaps in other places I have yet to visit. Perhaps if some hiked with a cat instead of insisting on hiking with a dog any issue with mice would be long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by BobTheBuilder View Post
    If you kill them, you gotta eat them. Otherwise leave them alone. It's the only ethical solution.
    Ethical? Mouses got no ethics!
    Cvt
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
    The keyword is not "mouse" but "shelter". I'd do all in my power to avoid camping in or near a trail shelter.

I agree with the idea of mouse traps in shelters.
    But, I carried them on one of my thrus and found out that many people get upset.
    Yes, in a way it's man trying to control nature (which almost never works too good), but the mice wouldn't be coming to the sheters in droves if they couldn't get anything to eat from the hikers.

A good idea might be to come up with the right recipe for them that's simple to do on a backpacking stove.
    Skinning them would take too much time though.
    Farley Mowatt is a good read here.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Somewhere in the wilds of Western Massachusetts
    Journal Entries

For survival consuming only, IMHO.....though I will admit that I have eaten rats & bats in the Far East & "tree rats" are in my plate on a fairly regular basis. Anyway, you don't have to skin 'em.......just gut, rinse if you want to, shish-ka-bob a few on a greenwood stick & put them over a fire. The flames will burn off the fur & most of the tail. The flames also get rid of carry-on parasites that are present. Always be sure to cook any small rodent (incl. squirrels) to "well done"......the outside will be blackened & crisp. The bones are small enough to eat....including the skull if you choose. The bone marrow & brain are important survival foods.
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by BobTheBuilder View Post
    Invasive species?

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Invasive species?
    Humans or mice??

Journal Entries
    Images

I was trying not to post.... I tried .... Oh nevermind...

Last week we have a building to clear and although as a group the company can use Tarad-3 Vitamin D blocks which kills mice.. The vitamin overwhelms the liver in a few days of consuming the bird seed & lard they drop. Keep in mind a small amount of something healthy in large amounts will kill you including water. (Hydrolosis) In one hour we clear a cockatoo bird house of mice by placing 100 snaps with a proprietary food attractant and the birds loved the show... I almost went deaf with "Hello" and screams of "Who" and "Pretty Bird" The next morning we cleared the bodies. The birds were very happy. My point is you can control or knock down if you think much bigger.

http://www.belllabs.com/product_deta...ol-terad3-blox
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    I agree with the idea of mouse traps in shelters.
    But, I carried them on one of my thrus and found out that many people get upset.
    Yes, in a way it's man trying to control nature (which almost never works too good), but the mice wouldn't be coming to the sheters in droves if they couldn't get anything to eat from the hikers.

A good idea might be to come up with the right recipe for them that's simple to do on a backpacking stove.
    Skinning them would take too much time though.
    Farley Mowatt is a good read here.
    King Rat is a good read.

Images

Journal Entries
    Images

So is Lord of the Flies.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++