WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Need Advice Desperately

So here's the deal. My friend and I have been planning our first AT hike starting June 1st. We've been planning for over six months. Throughout these past six months, the thought of this hike has been on my mind every second of every day. I have a pretty god job for someone my age. The people I work with are great and the pay is pretty great. After telling my boss, he told me that he doesn't want me to go on the trip.

So my options are to quit my job and hike OR stay with my job and think about this hike every second of every day for another year.....

Any comments will be appreciated..

Thank you

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Are you doing a section or thru-hiking? Do you live to keep your boss happy? If not, go hike.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

2010 complete

tough one. You have loyalty to your friend. jobs are scarce. I wonder why it wasn't presented to your boss six months ago. are you attending school?

Images

What kind of job do you have, that would give your boss any say at all in your personal life?! It is your leisure time, not his. If he's worried you might get injured and be unable to come back, remind him that this could happen just crossing the street or driving to work.
    "Only when the last tree has withered, the last fish has been caught, and the last river has been poisoned, will you realize you cannot eat money." Cree saying

Images

Easy: go hiking.

Images

You've been planning for six months without telling your boss? How long were you planning to be on the Trail?

The only advice I have is this: go back to your boss and explain how much this trip means to you, how long you've been dreaming about it, *and* how much you like your job and appreciate the people you work with, etc. Tell him that you would greatly appreciate the time off, and it will make you that much better an employee when you get back. Just lay it out there.

If, and only if, you are prepared to walk away from your job, you can tell him that you really want to come back, but you have to do this anyway. Be prepared for him to fire you on the spot, though.

But hey, man, a good job can be hard to find in this economy. The Trail will always be there. Make a careful decision.

(And I know *exactly* what you mean about thinking about it every day.)

Good luck.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Zabigail View Post
    What kind of job do you have, that would give your boss any say at all in your personal life?! It is your leisure time, not his.
    Um, it sounds from the original post like this isn't his leisure time -- it's work time that he wants to take off.

Lots of people don't get paid vacation.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

People land new jobs every day, even in a bad economy. But you're only 20 years old once. I say go for it.

I dont plan on doing a thru hike.....yet. This will only be a section hike. I dont get paid vacation so I'd just not be working for that time. Its such a hard decision.

Thanks for all the feed back. I really gotta think about this.

oh yeah and I'd only be on the trail for a month (till july 1st)

Default Weigh your options.

Quote Originally Posted by ibigler5 View Post
    So here's the deal. My friend and I have been planning our first AT hike starting June 1st. We've been planning for over six months. Throughout these past six months, the thought of this hike has been on my mind every second of every day. I have a pretty god job for someone my age. The people I work with are great and the pay is pretty great. After telling my boss, he told me that he doesn't want me to go on the trip.

So my options are to quit my job and hike OR stay with my job and think about this hike every second of every day for another year.....

Thank you
    There have been several times in my life when a boss has told me not to do something I planned to do. In each case, I have gone ahead and done it. It didn't seem to hurt me in the long run. Here is my advice -

1. Talk it through with your boss. Don't leave on bad terms. Your boss doesn't have to agree with your choice but he or she needs to understand that you are not disregarding his or her advice lightly. Some day you are going to need a job reference.

2. Make sure you really want to hike the AT more than you want the benefits of having a job. Just because you think about it a lot doesn't make it the most important thing in your life.

3. Consider the alternatives. I don't know what your alternatives are, but consider each of them carefully.

4. If you are a religious person, pray about your decision.
    Shutterbug

Images

oh yeah and I'd only be on the trail for a month (till july 1st)
    is one month worth losing your job for? up to you, but if i were your boss i'd be looking for your replacement as we chat sorry, but you told him your plans and he's already trying to cover his butt. in a couple days you won't have a decision to make. its dog eat dog out there right now.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Thank you
    you're 20. quit the friggin job and go walkin'. simple

do itttttttttt

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    you're 20. quit the friggin job and go walkin'. simple

^ Ditto ^
    It's a great day to be alive !

2010 complete

I agree with shutterbug. If you leave, don't burn any bridges.

Have you considered maybe a 2 week hike instead of a month?

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Yeah, these days, unless you have a job where you can easily land another one if you quit, I'd keep the job for now. The trail will always be there. I thought about the trail for 30 years myself before I did it.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Default You don't need to choose!

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    Have you considered maybe a 2 week hike instead of a month?
    I like Dawn's advice. Keep the job and use your vacations for hiking. You will have the best of both and retain your health insurance too. You'd forfeit a month's pay and who knows how long it might take to find work which pays as well. Sounds like an expensive vacation of unknown cost and duration to me.

Better to hike properly funded and savor a 2000 mile AT hike spread over a lifetime. There are many advantages to section-hiking.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++