WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: In camp shoes

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I set up tarp, eat dinner and go to bed.
    Don't have no need for camp shoes.
    My feet are perfectly comfortable in the shoes I hike in.
    Just another useless item.
    Imo

So yeah, currently my Camp shoes are inov8 295.

Do y'all bring pajamas and bathrobes too?
    this post belongs here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultralight_jerk/

I posted on this before, after an exhaustive search I settled on Teva Mush II flip-flops. 7.2 ounces per pair in size 12. Lightest flip-slops I could find that won't break in a day (which happened to me with the cheap versions). Vibrafoot I ordered and returned. Expensive, uncomfortable, and actually heavier than the average pair of flip flops which over a lot more cushy comfort--very important after a long day of hiking.

As for crossing rivers, I forded exactly three streams (all in Northern Maine) on my section hike. So, stream crossing shouldn't really be a consideration when choosing camp shoes. More hype than reality.
    Springer to Katahdin: 1991-2018

I've gone around and around with camp shoes ... Vivobarefoot Primus Lite (very comfy but heavier), Shamma Warriors (very light but not comfortable), plain old flip-flops (very light but not durable) ... settling on Adidas Adizero Sub 2 running shoes. Pricey but just under 12 oz for the pair and very very comfortable. I should point out that cost has never been an issue for me, which no doubt is not typical.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kisco Kid View Post
    I posted on this before, after an exhaustive search I settled on Teva Mush II flip-flops. 7.2 ounces per pair in size 12. Lightest flip-slops I could find that won't break in a day (which happened to me with the cheap versions). Vibrafoot I ordered and returned. Expensive, uncomfortable, and actually heavier than the average pair of flip flops which over a lot more cushy comfort--very important after a long day of hiking.
    Best flip flops I've found, too. Durable, comfortable, and inexpensive. Got 2pr in size 10, and they're 190g/6.7oz.
    They don't work with regular socks, which is the dealbreaker for me. But if you're gonna get flip flops, those are the ones, IMO.

my trail runners are so light I have actually considered carrying a second pair. this would have many benefits. dry shoes at end of day. dry shoes next day if trail runners didn't dry overnight. if 1 pair "blows out" I can still hike without issue and grab a second pair and ditch the "blown out" pair. I would never have to worry about getting a brand new pair and having issues until they get broken in as I could swap between the new and old pair during the break in period if necessary.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

https://xeroshoes.com/shop/gender/mens/ztrail-men/

Light, less than 1 lb, very slim profile, but sturdy enough to hike in, or water cross when needed. Used to use flipfops but hated how they felt between my toes after my feet expanded in camp. Also, size 11 Walmart FFs are Chinese size 11, about a real size 10. As a very fragile and delicate outdoorsman, I like having something besides trail shoes at the end of the day.
    Last edited by Game Warden; 05-12-2019 at 15:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Strategic View Post
    I use a pair of Dawgs Ultralight Spirit Shoes for both camp and fording. They're much lighter than Crocs, they're not clogs and actually stay on your feet fairly well (which means I can use them for emergency hiking shoes just in case) and they're cheap ($9 a pair or so.) Since they're made of EVA, just like Crocs are, they're completely waterproof and work well for fording pretty much anything you'll come across. They also slip on easily, making them more convenient than my boots for those late-night privy trips. I find it very nice to be able to slip on different shoes in camp at night, letting my feet and my boots have a bit of a rest apart from each other.
    What's the weight on those?

These keep showing up on my facebook thing.
    I want to check them out, but you have to install some app to look at or buy their stuff:thanksbutnothanks:
    20190513_232230.jpg

Don't have camp shoes. Like others, I just have one pair of shoes (Oboz Sawtooth NOT waterproof, as of now). For water crossings, I just plow through. As they are not waterproof, they dry quickly. I will sometimes carry some light fleece slipper socks. They are not really camp shoes, but rather to wear in the tent to keep my feet warm. They have a rubberized sole so they can work to step out of the tent and pee in the middle of the night, if it isn't muddy outside. I got them in a ditty bag from a trans Atlantic flight. So they basically cost me $1000, but they came with a free trip to Istanbul.

I've been using RocSocs for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Dont make midnight runs
    Thats what ziplocks is for....
    Hmm good idea. Must try it. I’ve been doing the pee bottle shuffle for years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let me go

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    Hmm good idea. Must try it. I’ve been doing the pee bottle shuffle for years
    Works for me
    Good if can place off groundsheet, like with tarp. In a tent with bathtub floor...hmmm. pray dont leak
    Roll up after emptying in morning, pocket on outside pack

Dont mix up with fbc ziplocks...

I love my crocs, but I don't want to look like Samwise Gamgee (Lord of the Rings) with it dangling from my pack. I might lose one if I brush up against a tree or boulder. I think I will opt for cheap $1 flip flops. I am a minimalist so I got new shoes arriving Wednesday I plan to use for my hikes and sockless water crossings. I have two back to back hiking and bikepacking trips in June where I plan to put them to the test.

Xero Z-Trail sandals. Can double both for creek crossings and for actual trail shoes if your feet just need that little bit of airing out. Or simply full time shoe if you like minimalist hiking.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by linus72 View Post
    some thrus we met a few years back had these and recommended them.
    Vivobarefoot Ultra Pure

I just got the Walmart knockoff brand sort of like these for under $8. Weight is about the same, or perhaps a smidge less from the review of Vivo Bearfoot. It's called Athletic works Beachwear Mens, but I can't find them on the Walmart web site. Size 13-14 weighs 15 Oz.

I don't carry camp shoes or water shoes anymore but I do use SealSkinz socks either to hike in if there's lots of water crossings or as backup when the shoes are wet.Of course you could use bread bags over dry socks when the shoes are wet.I tried the camp shoe thing and decided it was not worth it for me as I turn in early at night.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by linus72 View Post
    some thrus we met a few years back had these and recommended them.
    Vivobarefoot Ultra Pure

I bought these years ago, and they were expensive even when at the sale price, but I was desperate for something less bulky than Crocs. I ended up cutting their weight almost in have by removing the inner sockliner, and while they aren't as comfortable (or water resistant) they are only 7.8 oz for the pair (size 10) and take up a lot less space in my pack.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Game Warden View Post
    https://xeroshoes.com/shop/gender/mens/ztrail-men/

Light, less than 1 lb, very slim profile, but sturdy enough to hike in, or water cross when needed. Used to use flipfops but hated how they felt between my toes after my feet expanded in camp. Also, size 11 Walmart FFs are Chinese size 11, about a real size 10. As a very fragile and delicate outdoorsman, I like having something besides trail shoes at the end of the day.
    Thx for the tip, Game Warden - and also TX Aggie for seconding the recommendation. Followed the link and liked what I saw, ordered a pair of Z-Trails - they just came in, exactly what I was looking for, lightweight, flexible, don't take up much space in my pack, and they're actual shoes that I could hike in if needed. At $80 they're not cheap, but the 5,000 sole guarantee means I'll get my money's worth. Much appreciated -

Quote Originally Posted by HighlandsHiker View Post
    Thx for the tip, Game Warden - and also TX Aggie for seconding the recommendation....Much appreciated -
    Thanking them? For seducing you? I just ordered a pair with a sale code for $66. Had been considering them for awhile, but feel like y'all pushed me over the edge, and should be held accountable. I think all three of you should have to send me $22 apiece for forcing me to buy them

I'll take them to the beach in a couple of weeks, but they'll be used almost exclusively for camp, and should last forever.

I use mesh shower slippers like these.

The best of them (which I can't find anymore unfortunately) have a decent textured slip-resistant bottom and are available in large enough size; you need XL and XXLs for average foot size, they tend to run small. Obviously there's a tradeoff for the extremely light weight but these soles have stopped cactus spines and pretty hefty thorns I've stepped on (not the ones I kicked though); and protection from rocks on water crossings is better than, say, the Dawg slip-ons which have been mentioned here (again on the bottom, not from the sides where there is pretty much no protection at all).

The air on your feet really feels good no matter how comfortable you think your hiking footwear is.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++