WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What books are you bringing?

For us booktworms out there, they are worth their weight. When I started my section hike from HF-> NYC last summer, I started out with 10 pounds of books! I lost a lot of that weight in the first week, but I still held on to a few. I copy of Shakespeare's Sonnets and a short collection of Keats poetry.

This coming march I am gonna bring the Sonnets again. I also have to read Don Quixote over the summer for school. The only copy I have weighs about 2 lbs!

The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos

http://www.npr.org/2011/01/24/132932...rses-may-exist

I love this stuff

any good books left in hiker boxes? as a kind of library system I guess!

Yeah, I was curious about that. I am starting out with an old paperback and plan on including one in each of my seven mail drops. I will drop them off in hicker boxes as I go.

Any old paperback for me but I recently got hooked on Sudoku. I'll pack one on my next long hike that's for sure.

Images

Anything by Steinbeck, Ed Abbey, some bukowski, Kerousac, and good travel books by writers like Theroux and Troost.
    Fascinating read...really crazy stuff.

"There are a couple of multiverses that come out of our study of string theory," Greene says. "Within string theory, the strings that we're talking about are not the only entities that this theory allows. It also allows objects that look like large flying carpets, or membranes, which are two dimensional surfaces. And what that means, within string theory, is that we may be living on one of those gigantic surfaces, and there can be other surfaces floating out there in space."
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

I reread a couple of the Wheel of Time novels, at about 1200 pages each, and some Isaac Asimov on my thru. I did find books on occasion in shelters, but town libraries usually had a book sale rack with ridiculously cheap novels, like a quarter apiece usually.

A Walk in the Woods.

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

If the Harry Potter series didn't take up 10 square feet and weigh 20 lbs I'd gladly bring them - maybe I'll adopt a dog to carry my books on the trail
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Images

Actually, it was interesting to finally read the Bible, cover to cover. Small tissue paper edition, light, lot of interesting stories in there. A few irritating things, too.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

In recent years, I like to bring along books that resonate particularly well with specific areas of the Trail

Meaning, for North Carolina (Hiawassee maildrop) I've several times brought along and re-read Charles Frazier's "Cold Mountain."

Later on, in Harpers Ferry, just before heading over South Mountain into Pennsylvania, I send myself Michael Shaara's excellent Gettysburg novel, "The Killer Angels."

I'm gonna do the mid-Atlantic states this year for the first time in awhile, and unfortunately, it looks like I'll be doing them in July.

I think I'll bring a copy of "Heart of Darkness."

Until the Kindle craps out I'm taking most anything I want. I believe I'll start out with Dune. I've been meaning to reread it since the last time I was a sophmore in high school.
    No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength.

Quote Originally Posted by F-Stop View Post
    If the Harry Potter series didn't take up 10 square feet and weigh 20 lbs I'd gladly bring them - maybe I'll adopt a dog to carry my books on the trail
    Download the kindle app onto your cell phone and you can carry as many book as you want.

Images

Im starting North in april2012, and hope mattys book is done by then.

A Bible is top on my list; I won't go without one. A paperback will always be found in my pack as well. I think I'm gonna start with the Hobbit and work my way through the Trilogy again. From there, who knows! Something good that I find in town!

Quote Originally Posted by F-Stop View Post
    If you don't use some type of e-reader, go with the paperback versions and only one at at time. (Hardback copy of Goblet of Fire is almost 3 pounds!) Mail drop the next book to yourself along the way. I'm doing that for my daughter and I. I've read them through at least 12 times (because I am a serious Potter-head aka NERD) but the kid has only read some of the first one. I am looking forward to us reading it together on the journey. If we get through them all, then I'll go with another series that she and I can both get into. For me personally, I'll read whatever has words, so who knows what my personal book will be? Maybe Mitch Albom or another fave author will have a new book out by summer or I will re-read some of the classics. Too many books, never enough time.
    "Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?"
    - Frank Scully

I enjoy reading, especially in the winter months, when the days are shorter and I tend to hunker down.

But after 10 hours of hiking, and with chores to do when I stop, I'm too tired to do much reading on the trail.
    Roland

I will be carrying 1 soft cover at all times. Silence is okay. A world without books is just insane. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is my first. I will leave them in hiker boxes along the way.

Images

big ups RVA (RICHMOND) !!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++