WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default anyone been out in PA?

going to be out there soon in the northern half and there has been no activity in the PA room. trail conditions? general comments?
    ~Christy

Images

Where exactly will be you be hiking? I've been hiking from Delaware Water Gap southward over the last few weeks. At Leroy Smith shelter there's still water running but only the 3rd spring down (furthest away from the shelter). There was also water at Kirkridge.
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

Images

Default Short report

There's frost on the pumpkin, no snow and it's getting drier. In other words, conditions are about what is to be expected for this time of the year.

You will be hiking mostly on State Game Lands where at least a fluorescent orange hat is required by law from November 15 until December 15. Be advised, the general firearms deer season starts the Monday after Thanksgiving as always.

Campfires are not permitted on state forests at this time. Bring your maps.
    Last edited by emerald; 11-16-2010 at 16:44.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    There's frost on the pumpkin, no snow and it's getting drier. In other words, conditions are about what can be expected for this time of the year.
    Huh its not raining? Have you stepped outside? my map of PA shows green & yellow radar thingyies dumping big moisture bars all over! The birds arn't even singing.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Yes, it's raining, but how much falls and how much it impacts ridgetop springs is yet to be determined. NWS calls for up to about an inch at Hamburg FWIW.

MARFC's maps are an excellent resource. When MARFC data is combined with a knowledge of the relative and seasonal reliability of ridgetop A.T. springs in Pennsylvania, it's possible to sit at one's monitor and predict with a high degree of accuracy whether natural water sources on Pennsylvania's A.T. are flowing and how strongly.

If anyone wants to test my capabilities next year, just let me know.
    Last edited by emerald; 11-16-2010 at 16:45.

PA 183 North to NJ

I have blaze orange Buffs for both of us and a vest and in general bright colored clothing. We plan to wear the buffs all the time OR put them over the tops of our packs (the beauty of buffs)

I am not worried about the temperature as we hike in the whites in the winter

Water is a concern of mine - sounds like we will need to camel up at known sources and in the gaps. we will have the ability to carry 9 liters between us max.

also I wasn't expecting to have snow based on the past year temperature charts/percipitation charts. Is it a possibility? should be carry traction? like micro spikes? I wasn't planning on it.
    ~Christy

and I always carry maps!
    ~Christy

Images

I've heard talk of snow among weather prognosticators before December. Don't discount the possibility.

Water is likely available S of SR 183 on the blueblaze N of Fort Detrich Snyder marker.

North of SR 183, you will pass into and out of Weiser State Forest on which Eagle's Nest Shelter is situated. If that's an overnight destination, keep in mind water could be a issue and fires are prohibited at this time.

Tenting within 200 feet of the A.T. near Sand Spring Trail might be a better alternative unless you can confirm Yeich Spring at ENS is running. Please respect Pennsylvania law by camping more than 500 feet from the upper, walled spring and the obvious campsite in plain view of it even if the spring isn't running. Come winter and spring, hikers will want to obtain drinking water from it.

You'll probably be able to find water on Hamburg's watershed at even the less reliable places.
    Last edited by emerald; 11-16-2010 at 17:17.

I'm in the pa mtns and the one who says it's still dry is right. Many of our creeks are dry.

I'm Southeast of the trail in PA, and it is raining today, and tomorrow in most of PA. Last month the springs near hamburg were flowing, I think you will be OK water wise.

You actually just missed a warm spell. It was pushing the high 60's last weekend. Look like we are going back to seasonable, 50's during the day and near or below freezing at night.

Here is the 10 day forcast for

Delaware Water Gap
    http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USPA0393

Port Clinton PA
    http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USPA1314

Duncannon PA
    http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USPA0435

Waynesboro PA
    http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USPA1741

Also don't forget your orange blaze, it hunting season. I would definately avoid PA State game lands after Thanksgiving Day Weekend for about two weeks. That is the start of rifle Deer hunting season

Images

I live close to the trail in Lehigh Valley and it is raining most of today. In addition, many of our local ponds are full from rainfalls over the past month or so - I have been fishing a lot and was surprised to see the flows, including the Lehigh and delaware Rivers and Monocacy and Saucon Creeks. I haven't checked the springs on the trail, but many of our local creeks are running strong just a few miles from the trail in Lehigh Valley.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

Default Rainfall forecast, 48-hour

It's all about how much actually falls.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/marfc/Maps/qpf/qpf_48hr_48.png

I was up on the MST north of Blackwell last weekend and was surprised to see streams and springs up on the East Rim of the "Grand Canyon" all flowing.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    I was up on the MST north of Blackwell last weekend and was surprised to see streams and springs up on the East Rim of the "Grand Canyon" all flowing.
    I recently did the AT around Lehigh gap. It was OK but I liked the grand canyon much better.
    I just did the west rim grand canyon trail a few weeks ago. During the leaves changing and all.

Images

also if anyone needs to get out the week before thanksgiving but doesn't want to go alone....I have a group going and a thread about it over in hooking up.

Quote Originally Posted by tuswm View Post
    also if anyone needs to get out the week before thanksgiving
    Don't wear all black fleece!

(I ran into a thru once the day before bear season who was... )

thanks everyone, we will be heading to NJ so hopefully we don't have too many water issues.

re-hunting we have our orange and we will be off of PA SGL buy t-day so I am not as concerned.

***FYI I know the different land owner camping regulations and I rarely have campfires. so no big deal to me.

hoping to complete the last PA AT this trip out!
    ~Christy

++ New Posts ++