WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Insoles for hiking shoes

Seem like some hiking shoes don't have a real good insole and the ones you get at Wal-Mart are even worst any good ideas on hiking shoes or insoles.... thanks

Lots of people like Superfeet. There are other options as well. I tend to buy shoes that have good insoles. Both Salomon and Lowa have great insoles, imo.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tim.hiker View Post
    Seem like some hiking shoes don't have a real good insole ....
    Right you are. I've tried several brands of boots and shoes and have yet to find any brand with good insoles.

I put Super Feet in all my hiking shoes. (no longer wear boots)
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

You can find just about any sort of foot product at footsmart.com.As we get older the arches "settle" and it is great to add some arch support.They are not all created equal and the junk I see at grocery and pharmacies is just that compared to what you can find on line.

I have gone through 3 pairs of trail runners. I am still on my 1st pair of green superfeet.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

I'm with Superfeet too. I use the black color. The thinner of their options. Be careful using to thick Superfeet insoles. They can push your toes to the top of your boot, against the laces.

Images

I liked the original Orange Superfeet with the "metatarsal bump", but alas, they changed them, adding full foot padding. I can no longer use the Orange. I was told, when I complained, that it was a purely marketing decision, more padding meant easier sales. The Green Superfeet are usable (better than the shoe manufacturer insoles), but not perfect. May try something different, but for now the Green Superfeet are the go-to.
    Last edited by Lyle; 04-06-2015 at 09:24.

I am using Keen with Green Superfeet inserts. That has worked will for me. But I recently tried some Oboz hiking shoes (not boots) in a store and was really impressed. Good insoles. I will definitely try them next.

Rain Man, Oboz boots are the first I've used that don't need insoles. They are comfy and well padded right out of the box; at least they have been for me.

Images

I gave superfeet a go once and they didn't really work out for me ~ but that's just my opinion. I just kept shopping around until I found a pair of shoes that worked as is. The biggest factors for me going with a pair of trail runners was getting pack weight down and plenty of training in - now my feet are golden.
    T-Shirts for hikers: www.trailthread.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Right you are. I've tried several brands of boots and shoes and have yet to find any brand with good insoles.

I put Super Feet in all my hiking shoes. (no longer wear boots)
    What color do you use ?

I always used to use Superfeet Green. Since switching to Salomon XA Pros I keep waiting for a reason to put in Superfeet but, with many miles of daily use, these shoes are still quite comfortable with the manufacturer's inserts. As is so often the case, it goes to show you never can tell.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

The thing to remember is that, even if you find a pair of boots with good insoles, you have to change them out every year or two, depending on how many miles. All insoles lose their resiliency over time. Having a high volume foot, Superfeet blue work for me.

Someone else's choice of insole is only useful information around the general quality of the manufacturer's products. Different feet require different insoles. I do agree that most "original" insoles are inadequate relative to an after market insole. I use green superfeet with Merrell Moab Ventilators at this point. I also put green superfeet into my dress shoes when needed. I log many city miles, lol.

I have got the Merrell Moab Ventilators also, the original insoles didn't last at all but I do like the shoe I have tried others but always go back to them, Looks like I will give super feet a try....... always good to hear peoples opinion's rather from a article in a magazine where more likely the person is getting paid to give them a good review..... just my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    The thing to remember is that, even if you find a pair of boots with good insoles, you have to change them out every year or two, depending on how many miles. All insoles lose their resiliency over time. Having a high volume foot, Superfeet blue work for me.
    I am going on my 3rd year on one pair of green superfeet. They have lasted through 3 pairs of trail runners so far. Green superfeet take a while to break in. I have no clue how long they take to break down. So far, I only hike in Maine and NH. My insoles have been over 42 4000' hills and countless wet spots.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

I tried oboz loved them but the toe box was so small it cause a lot of pain

This is the million dollar question out on the trail, I'm surprised this one didn't pop up sooner. Lots of opinions out there, seems that when you find the right one you should stick with it, if you really don't have problems with your factory insoles then stick with them. If you really really want the best you should consider orthotics, expensive as hell but from what i have heard and seen can correct some pretty serious foot ailments on the go.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    I liked the original Orange Superfeet with the "metatarsal bump", but alas, they changed them, adding full foot padding. I can no longer use the Orange. I was told, when I complained, that it was a purely marketing decision, more padding meant easier sales. The Green Superfeet are usable (better than the shoe manufacturer insoles), but not perfect. May try something different, but for now the Green Superfeet are the go-to.
    I've always had a blister problem and wearing off skin under my toes. Recently I've read that the use of metatarsal pads on top of the insole, just behind the ball of the foot, will cause the toes to correctly angle down so the fat pad of the toes contacts the footbed. The result is more correct alignment of the toes, less wear under the toes, less chance of blistering.

I haven't gone long distance yet using the pads, but so far they are working well during my spring training.

Montrail heat moldable inserts, I have two pairs and rotate them for normal day hiking.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++