WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Mid May smokey hike

Hi , looking for someone or a group to hike the smokey mountains with. I am an experienced thru hiker. My Gf is pregnant and all my friends have to work... Figured it would be more fun with s group.

In May you will have a lot of company, make your reservations now.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ken209 View Post
    In May you will have a lot of company, make your reservations now.
    Reservations can only be made 30 days in advance of the START of your hike. That means TODAY (April 5th), you can't make reservations for any trip that starts later than May 4th.

So it's still a bit early for mid-May. The only time I've had a really hard time getting reservations (if I'm not looking for something particular) is Memorial Weekend.

Just going to thru hike it on the A.T start at fontana

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmac992000 View Post
    Then you should probably read the rules pertaining to general backcountry permits vs. AT thru-hiker permits so you can lie convincingly if questioned. https://smokiespermits.nps.gov/

Images

vs. AT thru-hiker permits so you can lie convincingly if questioned.

or just do it legally..........

it aint that difficult after all......

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    or just do it legally..........

it aint that difficult after all......
    Kind of my point...

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Kind of my point...
    The words
    so you can lie convincingly
    don't exactly make the point.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I see that your icon is of a Hammock Hanger. Don't plan on bringing it for your AT hike of the Smokies...

Those rules that were mentioned...

Well first of all, because you will not start nor end your hike at least 50 miles beyond the borders of GSMNP, you will not be able to register as a "Thru Hiker". Instead, you will have to obtain what is known as a General Backcountry Permit that requires a reservation each night for each shelter you plan to stay at.

Second, tents are not allowed at shelters (except for "Thru Hikder" WHEN THE SHELTER IS FULL).

Third, hammocks are treated by the rules just like a tent, which means you won't be allowed to setup a hammock in, on, or near the shelters.

Oh, and unlike most other places along the AT, in GSMNP you must camp at the designated campsites... which along the AT basically means all shelters (Birch Spring Gap campsite 6 miles out of Fontana being the ONLY campsite that isn't at a shelter along the AT in GSMNP.).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    The words don't exactly make the point.

yeah.........

thats how i read it as well........

Images

The words don't exactly make the point.
    Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    yeah.........

thats how i read it as well........
    Sorry the sarcasm was lost on you. I guess I should put one of these in there.

Thru hiked 2013 . Completed .
    Thanks...

Leonidas

Curious if you can get multiple backcountry permits simultaneously based on shelter variables beyond your control? Aka, pay the $20 for each and have a Plan B?
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Yeah, I was just wanting to know if anyone wanted to join. I already done that and got the trophy. I no longer use hammock. Been using six moon tent for some time now. Wanted to take a few thru hikers out to eat . Pay it back, when I thru hiked there were so many thoughtful kind people.

Fontana dam has s self registration box for permit... right after u cross the dam.

Leonidas

Fontana dam has s self registration box for permit... right after u cross the dam.
    I thought those were for thru-hikers only but maybe not. We are starting at Fontana so I guess we shall see.
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Self Registration is "Old School".

The rules changed a few years ago.

If you are going to camp in GSMNP, as a thru hiker OR as a general back packer, you must now go online to get a permit, and you have to PAY for the permits as well.
    There is a box at each end of the AT thru GSMNP. It is for those using a Thru Hiker permit to report when they entered GSMNP.

While General Backpacking permits require reservations for specific sites for specific dates, the Thru Hiker permit is valid for you to enter GSMNP within 30 days of issue... and once inside the park, you have 8 days to leave. The Thru Hiker permit allows you to camp at any of the shelters (or the one camp site) along the AT. At shelters, a Thru Hiker is required to stay in the shelter unless the shelter is full, then they can setup a tent (or hammock) in the general vicinity of the shelter.

When you have a General Backpacking permit, you technically have a reservation in the shelter and therefore you're required to stay in the shelter (there's nothing in the park rules to handle Thru Hikers unwilling to vacate the shelter to general backpacking reservation holders).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    Curious if you can get multiple backcountry permits simultaneously based on shelter variables beyond your control? Aka, pay the $20 for each and have a Plan B?
    Probably a good idea if you want to maintain some flexibility for where you might end up staying on your hike, but keep in mind that once you alter where you stay one night, its unlikely that you would keep the Gen BC permit itinerary you made. Perhaps if there were certain shelters you knew you wanted to stay at, and wanted to ensure you could, then making a Gen reservation there might work well. Otherwise, its a choice of sticking with an itinerary no matter what, or opting for flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    I thought those were for thru-hikers only but maybe not. We are starting at Fontana so I guess we shall see.
    You can't reserve a shelter at the box at Fontana, so yeah, its for thru hikers only.

The TH reservation asks you to affirm that you are starting and ending 50m outside the park. Breaking rules certainly can have adverse affects to the hiker. Enforcement has its own issues to park management. Some rules are enforced, some are not. I'm not aware of Thru permitted hikers having been asked about there hike end points at the chance they have encountered a park ranger.

I'm a hanger and this subject is often talked about on HF.net. I presume the rule is there to encourage use of the Gen reservation system which helps manage resources. I believe its not enforced because of the need to have flexibility for hikers that need it.
    Last edited by Farr Away; 04-06-2017 at 12:49.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Leonidas

Gotcha, we have a set stopping point each day but it will depend on day one which includes a shuttle from Hot Springs. So if we get to Fontana too late to hit Birch Spring, I wanted to push to Russell the next day.

Plan 1: Birch Spring, Spence, Double Spring, Clingmans
    Plan 2: Russell, Siler's, Clingmans

Either way we go, all days after are the same: Peck's, Cosby, out of the park.
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

Images

Thru hiked 2013 . Completed .
    Thanks...
    Self Registration is "Old School".

The rules changed a few years ago.

If you are going to camp in GSMNP, as a thru hiker OR as a general back packer, you must now go online to get a permit, and you have to PAY for the permits as well.
    There is a box at each end of the AT thru GSMNP. It is for those using a Thru Hiker permit to report when they entered GSMNP.

While General Backpacking permits require reservations for specific sites for specific dates, the Thru Hiker permit is valid for you to enter GSMNP within 30 days of issue... and once inside the park, you have 8 days to leave. The Thru Hiker permit allows you to camp at any of the shelters (or the one camp site) along the AT. At shelters, a Thru Hiker is required to stay in the shelter unless the shelter is full, then they can setup a tent (or hammock) in the general vicinity of the shelter.

When you have a General Backpacking permit, you technically have a reservation in the shelter and therefore you're required to stay in the shelter (there's nothing in the park rules to handle Thru Hikers unwilling to vacate the shelter to general backpacking reservation holders).
    Rules change happened in Feb 2013.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++