WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Guadalupe Mountains National Park

Headed there in a few weeks for about 5 days (about 3 days of hikes). Not backpacking, just day hikes. Anyone been there? Planning on staying at Pine Springs and hiking Guadalupe Peak, Hunter Peak, and possibly Lost Peak (from Dog Canyon). Any tips, advice?
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Bring water, great place
    Have fun!
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Nice view from Guadalupe Peak. There is a place to camp about halfway up.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    Headed there in a few weeks for about 5 days (about 3 days of hikes). Not backpacking, just day hikes. Anyone been there? Planning on staying at Pine Springs and hiking Guadalupe Peak, Hunter Peak, and possibly Lost Peak (from Dog Canyon). Any tips, advice?
    Good choices, G-peak and Hunter. But I would add, and even replace Hunter with (if only can hike two things) is the McKittrick Canyon trail, all the way out until it tops out if you can make that, then back. Or just go to where it crosses over a notch on the ridge then down. Don't skip The Grotto.

Prepare for hot temps, but at least you're not going in July or August. By the way, that campground on G-peak is 3/4 of the way up.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Good choices, G-peak and Hunter. But I would add, and even replace Hunter with (if only can hike two things) is the McKittrick Canyon trail, all the way out until it tops out if you can make that, then back. Or just go to where it crosses over a notch on the ridge then down. Don't skip The Grotto.

Prepare for hot temps, but at least you're not going in July or August. By the way, that campground on G-peak is 3/4 of the way up.
    McKittrick Canyon looks like a good option. I might do that especially since I recently had foot surgery and may need to limit my elevation hikes.

Choosing not to camp partway up Guad Peak because of the need to carry all my own water. Water sources are all protected in GMNP. Camping at the campground and dayhiking always me to only carry enough for the day's hike, not an overnight. But I may get up early and start out before dawn to avoid some of the heat. I do love the heat here but not when climbing 3000' so much! LOL.

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Couldn't imagine being there for 5 days. Carlsbad Caverns NP is < an hour away and well worth a day. Do NOT try to stay in Carlsbad, as you will pay $200+ for a Motel 6. It's an oil boom and they have a very real housing shortage.
    Be Prepared

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    Couldn't imagine being there for 5 days. Carlsbad Caverns NP is < an hour away and well worth a day. Do NOT try to stay in Carlsbad, as you will pay $200+ for a Motel 6. It's an oil boom and they have a very real housing shortage.
    1 day on each end is travel so 3 days of hiking in the park. there's plenty to do and see for 3 days. hoping to catch all the sunsets and sunrises I can while out there. and of course count lots of stars as well. just mostly disconnect for a few days. I live in a city. even though I am on the edge of a "nature preserve" it can be soul sucking.

Images

GNP has a special place in my heart... I was lucky enough to be part of a team the NPS supported to reconnoiter the brand new Guadalupe Ridge Trail, a 100-ish mile trail that connects GNP and Carlsbad NP. Officially, the trail starts at the top of Guadalupe Peak, descends to Pine Springs, up Hunter Peak (but not to the summit), then down McKittrik canyon, north into Lincoln NF, east into Carlsbad NP, though the park, ending at Whites City. The NPS supported us with a couple of water caches. One of our jobs was to scope out springs, and we found a handy one. We submitted a lengthy report to the NPS, a couple years later, the trail was made official.

Here's an article... Our team is mentioned about 2/3rd of the way down, with an interview with Jennifer Roach (Gerry Roach's wife, Gerry is kinda famous her in Colorado, a world class mountaineer).

https://www.newmexico.org/nmmagazine...e-ridge-trail/

Enjoy your trip! Make sure you get there early and can snag a campsite at Pine Springs. I slept on a picnic table a couple nights after our GRT thru hike, woke up to a marvelous sunrise both mornings.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I camped in the campground for 3 nights in June this year on a road trip to Ca.,had a good time on short hikes but really hot.The vistor center has no supplies and none close. Be safe and enjoy.

Carefully organize your water logistics at GNP. It's not the NP to skimp on water needs with your projected timeframe and peak bagging agenda.

Agree with CR about adding Mckittrick especially in the fall. Might also consider adding an off trail romp to the other el capitan. As great a view from atop el capitan as Mt guadalupe

Definitely visit and hike Carlsbad. A few yrs ago after a Colorado Tr Thru did both including a hike from Carlsbad to Guadalupe NP along the escarpment. Carlsbad has many underground hikes. Went to BigBend for 7 days after. Graet trip.

Between Carlsbad and Guadalupe NP's at the Carlsbad entrance is a small limited food general store and Touron site OK for limited snacks. At Carlsbad Caverns is a cafeteria/restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    GNP has a special place in my heart... I was lucky enough to be part of a team the NPS supported to reconnoiter the brand new Guadalupe Ridge Trail, a 100-ish mile trail that connects GNP and Carlsbad NP. Officially, the trail starts at the top of Guadalupe Peak, descends to Pine Springs, up Hunter Peak (but not to the summit), then down McKittrik canyon, north into Lincoln NF, east into Carlsbad NP, though the park, ending at Whites City. The NPS supported us with a couple of water caches. One of our jobs was to scope out springs, and we found a handy one. We submitted a lengthy report to the NPS, a couple years later, the trail was made official.

Here's an article... Our team is mentioned about 2/3rd of the way down, with an interview with Jennifer Roach (Gerry Roach's wife, Gerry is kinda famous her in Colorado, a world class mountaineer).

https://www.newmexico.org/nmmagazine...e-ridge-trail/

Enjoy your trip! Make sure you get there early and can snag a campsite at Pine Springs. I slept on a picnic table a couple nights after our GRT thru hike, woke up to a marvelous sunrise both mornings.
    Cool. When I did the ridge dipping into canyons perpendicular to HWY 62 between the two NP's this trail was not yet established. Much of what I did followed old roads and bushwacking. I cant remember what canyons it was but found surface water twice.

Oh now you’re bringing up some old memories. My family day hikes there several times when I was growing up, but we never did any camping there. And I can’t remember any of the trail names. But I do remember that for a desert rat like myself I absolutely loved the views.

I’m envious, enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CR your party coordinated with the NPS through your association with the Highpointer's Foundation?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Between Carlsbad and Guadalupe NP's at the Carlsbad entrance is a small limited food general store and Touron site OK for limited snacks. At Carlsbad Caverns is a cafeteria/restaurant.
    Don't you know me better than that? I will be bringing all my own home freeze dried and fresh foods! LOL

Carefully organize your water logistics at GNP. It's not the NP to skimp on water needs with your projected timeframe and peak bagging agenda.

Agree with CR about adding Mckittrick especially in the fall. Might also consider adding an off trail romp to the other el capitan. As great a view from atop el capitan as Mt guadalupe

Definitely visit and hike Carlsbad. A few yrs ago after a Colorado Tr Thru did both including a hike from Carlsbad to Guadalupe NP along the escarpment. Carlsbad has many underground hikes. Went to BigBend for 7 days after. Graet trip.
    I will probably go to Carlsbad in April, Big Bend in January. Next July I may have to head further north to stay away from the heat for a week. I might swap a peak for McKittrick Canyon this trip. I do plan on bringing in plenty of water and carrying plenty for each day's hike. Also, I may start very early in the morning to avoid a lot of the heat. I have never had a problem with my ego that prevented my from turning away from the peak if I felt I wasn't up to it. I really just need to be IN AND WITH NATURE for some rejuvenation.

Images

CR your party coordinated with the NPS through your association with the Highpointer's Foundation?
    Yes actually, a good buddy of ours, Dave C is a major player with the Highpointers, he's the one who was contacted for this venture and he organized our group of 5. Dave is 2nd from left in 1st photo below. By the way, we had temps well below freezing one night, we were prepared, but barely (icy frost the next morning, 2nd pic). It was late March 2016.
    Attached Images Attached Images

ok. I may have to spend one night at Carlsbad to catch the Bat Flight

We just did Guadalupe, Carlsbad and Big Bend earlier this year. The part of our journal that might be of interest to you starts on this day: https://www.trailjournals.com/journal/entry/610408

++ New Posts ++