WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: pajamas

Journal Entries

Default pajamas

waiting for the hurricane down here in eastern n.c..... i know this is a lame question, but at days end, if i'm wearing my nylon long running pants, and a nylon regular long or short sleeve shirt..... do i bring pajamas for sleeping in, or do you bed down in what you,ve been hiking in all day?

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

It doesn't really matter, sleep in whatever you're comfortable in. Personally, I sleep in the same clothes I hiked in for the day, unless they're dripping wet.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

I put on the next days clothes and sleep in those. Hooch just likes to stink!

Images

I prefer my birthday suit. Seriously.
    skinny d

Images

My hiking clothes are almost always soaking wet, except in very cold weather. Even then, they are damp, so I have dry clothes to change into when I get to camp. In summer that's a pair of hiking shorts (~5 oz) and a base layer top (~7 oz), usually long sleeve so I can alternate with my s/s hiking shirt as needed. I hang my hiking clothes to get dry-ish. In the morning I put my still-mostly-wet stinky hiking clothes back on, and my nice dry clothes back in my pack, well protected against water. (I also wear my camp/sleeping clothes in town as needed.)

In the winter in camp I put on light wool long johns and a dry microfleece zip tee, and I'll usually take my hiking base layers into my bag at night to dry out, or at least not freeze.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

I like to clean up a bit and put on a light weight base layer. It keeps the grunge off the down bag.
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

Do you really want your nice sleeping bag to smell like hiker funk? I always bring something clean to sleep in just because it's nicer not to sleep in wet stinky clothes.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trailweaver View Post
    Do you really want your nice sleeping bag to smell like hiker funk? I always bring something clean to sleep in just because it's nicer not to sleep in wet stinky clothes.
    Same here. Pair of boxers/T-shirt in summer. Long base layer in winter. The undies I wore that day get hung to air out.

I also use a nice base layer--gives me the illusion of being a little cleaner.

I always keep a dry set of clothes to change into at night - long underwear if it's cold, a spare t-shirt if it's not. I get chilled very quickly after I stop hiking and sitting around in damp clothes will start me shivering.

It's also really nice to wash up at the end of the day and put on something relatively clean. Does wonders for the morale.

Depends on what you're comfortable in. I did both (slept in my clothes or changed into PJ's) depending on the weather, how tired I was, etc. I did bring a set of PJ's and tried to clean up most nights before going to bed. But I found no matter what I did, I was still pretty stinky. But when I slept in my hiking clothes I would actually wake myself up from the stink
    My PJ's were just a tank top and scrubs for pants, so they didn't weigh much and I'm so glad I brought them!

++ New Posts ++