WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Neels Gap to Hogpen Gap...

or Hogpen Gap to Neels Gap for a day hike? I'm leaning towards ending at Neels Gap so we can check out the Walasi-Yi Center while we wait for our ride. Is one direction any easier/better than the other. Thanks.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about."

Nice and easy ridgeline walk in either direction. You will have to climb out of both gaps. Five and a half miles.
    Moses

You can easily and enjoyably kill a lot of time at Neels. Your thot of finishing there is spot on.

very much agree with max patch. if i had to choose between the two, i'd definately rather wait on a ride for an hour at neels. You can tell from this map/profile that the terrain/elevation change are very similar at both gaps so direction wouldnt really matter much:

http://www.georgiahikes.com/maps/bin/AT_section_3.jpg

bloodmountainman -- this map says 6.25 miles... the site its on also says it was uploaded 2003... maybe its old? (reroutes?)
    "...Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation." -Blind Seer, O Brother, Where Art Thou?

My mistake. I was counting the miles from Tesnatee Gap to Neels. Hogpen is about a half mile north.
    Moses

Quote Originally Posted by bloodmountainman View Post
    My mistake. I was counting the miles from Tesnatee Gap to Neels. Hogpen is about a half mile north.
    No doubt! I made the mistake after a long, long day of hiking in a hard rain and pulled into Tesnatee thinking it was Hogpen. After figuring out that no my car had not been stolen I still had to get to Hogpen and had to do that climb out....what a day!

Try Neel's to cowrock mtn then back--great hike.

Journal Entries
    Images

If I were to do this section again, I'd do Hogpen to Neels. Number one because I think the climbs are a bit easier that way, IMO. Tesnatee up Wildcat and back down into Hogpen is a a$$ kicker. Then also since there is something to do at Neels Gap while waiting on a ride.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Default Just hiked it

On Friday April 17th I hiked from Hogpen to Neels. I would go this way. Slightly less climbing and nice place to stop at the end. Several great views on the way. Cowrock was my favorite. The trail is in good shape and the climbs were not bad. It also finished GA for me. One more state done!
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldawg View Post
    If I were to do this section again, I'd do Hogpen to Neels. Number one because I think the climbs are a bit easier that way, IMO. Tesnatee up Wildcat and back down into Hogpen is a a$$ kicker. Then also since there is something to do at Neels Gap while waiting on a ride.
    AMEN BROTHER!!! As I said...long...wet...day that day. That was a butt kicker at the end of the day would have rather caught it earlier.

Great hostel not too far from there! Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega. Great place to stay, shuttle service too.

++ New Posts ++