WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Khike

Default Need new raingear....

Hello All, My old Mountain Hardwear raingear, 29 oz total, made of Conduit Silk, has pooped the bed. I've noticed that the new gear, about the same price, is considerably lighter. I've been looking at Patagonia Torrentshell, Montbell Rain Trekker, of course, the OR Helium 2 and the Precip. I use my rain gear for keeping warm in camp, mostly. I use it sailing, in the rain. I'm a poncho man ,on the trail. I'm thinking either the Patagonia, 22 oz total or the Montbell, 21 oz total. I like the features and the wgt is better than my old gear. But I can hear those 6 oz jackets and 3 oz pants calling out to me! My base wgt, pack and everything, except food and water is 13 lbs. Add 7 lbs of food and 5 of water and we are talking 25lbs. I'm sure I can find a couple of more lbs to put in my ULA Circuit. Just don't seem like those light jackets would last. What say you? I know this has been beat to death, I've read all the posts. I'm thinking of a little more durability. Seems the fabrics have come a long way in ten years. I'm listening.... Kevin

If could afford it, I'd go with a cuben fiber rain suit from Zpacks.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Khike

Ouch! They are proud of that bad boy, ain't they? Kevin

Frogg Toggs or Zpacks or HMG.

Everything in between has more negatives than positives

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I just got a Rab Downpour Jacket in the mail. Haven't put it on the trail yet, but the build looks solid. I got it because I didn't want to give up having pockets and it also has pit zips and it can be adjusted around the cuffs and head. Comes in around 11oz. Reviews of the material (Pertex 2.5+) give it good waterproof characteristics, but it can wear down over time. But, I don't live in a rainy area and like you, it will be used for heat retention as much as for rain wear. Again, hasn't seen the trail yet, but Rab is a solid company, and there are several others that use the Pertex 2.5+ material.

Honestly, I think you go big with HMG or Zpacks, roll the dice on a cheap frogg toggs, or if you go in between pick the one with the colors you like, a coupon, and a good warranty.

For sailing don't worry about weight. Sturdy coated gear is fine. Better really, and pretty cheap. For in camp, a wind shirt and light rain pants are fine for cold. Add the poncho (or Packa) for rain.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Khike View Post
    Hello All, My old Mountain Hardwear raingear, 29 oz total, made of Conduit Silk, has pooped the bed. I've noticed that the new gear, about the same price, is considerably lighter. I've been looking at Patagonia Torrentshell, Montbell Rain Trekker, of course, the OR Helium 2 and the Precip. I use my rain gear for keeping warm in camp, mostly. I use it sailing, in the rain. I'm a poncho man ,on the trail. I'm thinking either the Patagonia, 22 oz total or the Montbell, 21 oz total. I like the features and the wgt is better than my old gear. But I can hear those 6 oz jackets and 3 oz pants calling out to me! My base wgt, pack and everything, except food and water is 13 lbs. Add 7 lbs of food and 5 of water and we are talking 25lbs. I'm sure I can find a couple of more lbs to put in my ULA Circuit. Just don't seem like those light jackets would last. What say you? I know this has been beat to death, I've read all the posts. I'm thinking of a little more durability. Seems the fabrics have come a long way in ten years. I'm listening.... Kevin
    My 2012 ZPacks cuben rain jacket is still going strong. I’ve worn it every year since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Check out the Montbell rain jackets

I mostly use my Frogg Toggs for warmth in camp as wind stoppers or the outer layer. Durable? Not the pants. The crotch will likely rip open the first time you squat down to get into your tent.
    They were like half the weight of my Precips and a fraction of the price...

Journal Entries

I'm surprised no one hasn't mentioned the Packa. Covers both your pack and your upper body to well below the waist. Your pack straps stay dry under it as well. Has draw string sleeves and hood and packs up into its own pocket.
    Blackheart

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Frogg Toggs and an umbrella. Cheap, versatile and effective. I've carried, but never used, rain pants, so this year I'll try a rain kilt.

Khike

Ended up getting this, Foray Jacket from Outdoor Research. Mostly for the boat, 16oz. My hiking bud has had a Foray for 8 yrs and still going strong. Should get this for hiking, Montbell Rain Trekker, 10 oz.Really like this one, Montbell Storm Cruiser. Very pricey. 10 Oz. Good hiking. Kevin

Are Frogg Toggs better than the Outdoor Research Helium ii?

I have just got a lightheart gear rain jacket and have yet to try it out for any amount of use.

Quote Originally Posted by TMathers View Post
    I have just got a lightheart gear rain jacket and have yet to try it out for any amount of use.
    I got the Lightheart gear rain jacket for my PCT hike last year. Had it made with an additional 4 inches in the body and 4 inches in the sleeves (tall guy) and love it! It didn’t rain much on the PCT, but now I use it back home on my hikes in Alaska and it is so much better than dealing with supposedly breathable shells that leak.

Khike

Hello, again. So, I've been getting ready for a hike in April, from Springer to Neel's gap, just to see the NOBO's start. After much thought and packing my pack and weighing stuff and using LighterGear, I'm ditching the Foray pants and jacket for a Frogg Togg Ultalight 2. Why, you ask? I love the Versalite and Helium 2, they are so pretty, but Dude! The price, just can't justify it. 280 bucks for the Helium 2 set and 330 for the Versalite set. The Versalite is made from Gore Windstopper, not waterproof, from my research, just has a DWR coating, despite their waterproof and breathablility numbers. How waterproof can something be that you can see through? A lot of guys here use the FT's , so I'm gonna take their advice. 19 bucks shipped from Amazon. I could buy 16 pair for the price of them high priced doodies. I use the poncho for hiking in the rain and use the rain gear for camp and emergency's, to stay warm. So, I'll let ya' know how the FT work out. 11oz for the set vs 28 for the Foray set. Treat them nice and maybe they will last for a few miles. No brainer, I'm thinking. I feel so relieved, saved 17 oz and 310 dollars. Now I can bring more food!!! Kevin

You'll be wearing rain wear while hiking eventually. It can keep you warn also while more active. It's not always consistently 75* with no wind when it rains.

Wt of rainwear is but one aspect of rainwear. With those UL wts also come other possibly significant attributes.

I'd have separate rainwear for sailing verse backpacking/hiking. One activity tends towards a lightly active lower output endeavor while the other is more active.

Quote Originally Posted by iio View Post
    I got the Lightheart gear rain jacket for my PCT hike last year. Had it made with an additional 4 inches in the body and 4 inches in the sleeves (tall guy) and love it! It didn’t rain much on the PCT, but now I use it back home on my hikes in Alaska and it is so much better than dealing with supposedly breathable shells that leak.
    I got one of these last fall. It is a delight to use. For backpacking, as mentioned above, a Packa might serve you better.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Khike

Yes, I hear you guys, loud and clear. Reckon I'm gonna find out. One of my worries is putting on my pack over that expensive rain gear. Wouldn't ya' think that would wear the rain jacket out pretty quick, with the shoulder straps and such? And, yes, sailing is definitely less active. Plus, sailing, could be a lot of bending and scuffing and kneeling and cranking and stuff to hang up on, that would ruin, say, a Foray set, pretty quick. I hadn't thought about the temp and wind thing, you mentioned. I believe you would be right about that. The Packa is interesting. Feral Bill, how much that Packa cost you? I'm gonna get some plastic snaps to add to my poncho, to see if I can customize it to fit better. Maybe help keep out the wind, a little better. And, Dogwood, what might be some of those significant attributes of UL raingear, I'm wondering? Well, we will go with the FT for now. I know the Foray set is good gear, but heavy. I do love those stylish, expensive rain gear sets. Always nice to look good. Really trying to keep wgt down. At 25 lbs now, for 4 days. And that's with all the creature comforts that I like to have with me. Thanks, you guys always get me outta my blinders. Kevin

Khike

Hey, Dogwood, What rain gear do you use, for the AT? Kevin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++