WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Illegal posting of WhiteBlaze tags on AT

Someone is posting WhiteBlaze tags on part of the AT in NY between Long Hill Rd and the Taconic Parkway.

Please stop, or tell anyone you know who might be doing this to stop. It is graffiti and will be removed.

I suspect it also violates ATCs copyright on the AT symbol that it uses.

Walt Daniels, AT Supervisor Bear Mt Bridge to Rt 301

white blazes, magic places northernstorm's Avatar

The enthusiasm is appreciated for the site and the trail, but yes, let's keep it off the trail, and besides, a lot of the reason I hike the trail is to lose all sense of modern computing devices including phones and a wristwatch. The last thing I want to see is websites advertised on trees. Thanks.

Images

What's next...corporate sponsorship? This section of the AT brought to you by "Burma Shave". Or...maybe a Privy with a Pepto-Bismol Logo on it. Or...better yet, an advertisement on the side of a Black Bear with the showtimes for "When Animals Attack" on the Animal Planet.

Images

Default Corporate sponsorship is a great idea!

What a great way to raise funds for trail maintenance. Privys could be named after various corporations. Just think of the possibilities!
    Lead me to the long green tunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by StorminMormon View Post
    What's next...corporate sponsorship?
    If you belonged to the ATC you would know that corporate sponsorships already exist and are named in AT Journeys.

Back to the real issues; (1) someone is illegally advertising WB on the trail, and (2) does this site have permission to use ATC copyrights?

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post

Back to the real issues; (1) someone is illegally advertising WB on the trail, and (2) does this site have permission to use ATC copyrights?
    And while I have no doubt that the WB community will parse this issue to death without the benefit of the facts, there is probably only one person who knows the answer to the copyright issue. And he is out hiking.

Images

Its a whole different symbol. Theres a hiker obscuring the A so you can't really tell its an AT symbol. I doubt the ATC would care,
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Images

Pretty sure that the AT without the sunrise thingie is not owned by ATC. It might be owned by the USFS as seen below.

I think we're talking about trademark rather than copyright. ATC holds trademarks on the most recent Conservancy design (the one with the sun in it) and the ME to GA diamond. The "A" with the dropdown "T" is not, according to what I've found, trademarked in and of itself -- although both trademarked logos do include that element.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

But, um, yeah, regardless of the legality of the image itself, putting them up around the trail is jackassery.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

You can search copyright records
    ad astra per aspera

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    But, um, yeah, regardless of the legality of the image itself, putting them up around the trail is jackassery.
    I like the way you put that!

white blazes, magic places northernstorm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    Hahahaha!!!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by mad4scrapping View Post
    What a great way to raise funds for trail maintenance. Privys could be named after various corporations. Just think of the possibilities!
    Naw....but I'd buy into naming them after politicians!
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Images

If you are looking for wilderness, escape, no commercials, etc in the year of 2010, you're going to need to get further off of the path than the AT.

And, the ad worked.
    It got yktdan to post for the first time.
    What? Me worry??

Journal Entries
    Images

Very tough call, I am glad that the thread starter brought this to the groups attention, yes a clear oversight by one member who shouldn't have and overstepped. But I don't even give a damn about signs that say " no turn on red" Why? Demo, Govt passed laws to reduce gas consumption by allowing RTOR. then muncipalities suddenly realized that some corners were having too many accidents. Hense the sudden sign.. Today its clearly un -enforceable.. Its a joke and the officers have a higher priority.

Post away and clearly it will take more effort to take it down ... my ANSWER..WHOO cares?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by mister krabs View Post
    Pretty sure that the AT without the sunrise thingie is not owned by ATC. It might be owned by the USFS as seen below.

Hey, anybody know where I can get a full sized one of the above plaques?
    I have the CDT and PCT but not the AT.
    I'd appreciate a PM if anyone knows. (and I don't mean steal one)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

If you belonged to the ATC you would know that corporate sponsorships already exist and are named in AT Journeys.
    You're right - I don't belong to the ATC yet. I'm new here. But thank you so much for the warm invitation. I guess I should just keep my head down and not speak up until I've gathered over 3,000 posts on a user forum.

What's next...corporate sponsorship? This section of the AT brought to you by "Burma Shave". Or...maybe a Privy with a Pepto-Bismol Logo on it. Or...better yet, an advertisement on the side of a Black Bear with the showtimes for "When Animals Attack" on the Animal Planet.

You're right - I don't belong to the ATC yet. I'm new here. But thank you so much for the warm invitation. I guess I should just keep my head down and not speak up until I've gathered over 3,000 posts on a user forum.
    The ATC has corporate members, accepts advertising in AT Journeys from corporations, and of course donations/contributions from corporations.

But as far as I know, "corporate sponsorship" doesn't extend to naming rights like sports stadiums and the like. So there's no "Mountain Hardwear" shelter or "Coca-cola" trail segment.

And hopefully, we'll never go there. I wish I was as sanguine about other public entities such as parks, schools, roads etc.

StorminMormon, welcome to WhiteBlaze! I'd encourage you to join the ATC. By doing so, you support Trail protection and help build and maintain a constituency for the AT. The nuimber of dues-paying ATC members is a much more relevant statistic than the number of WhiteBlaze members when Dave Startzel or other ATC officials testify before Congress.

We AT lovers should never take for granted the Trail's existance.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    StorminMormon, welcome to WhiteBlaze! I'd encourage you to join the ATC...
    Absolutely. Just joined WB a couple weeks ago. I'm planning a weekend hike near Hot Springs, NC with the wife for next month. Hopefully it will be one of many hikes on the AT. Thanks for the invitation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++