WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Running Shorts Help!

This should not be that difficult, but i'm struggling to find some running shorts to take on an upcoming section hike. I figured I would head to Amazon and have something on the way in no time! Unfortunately, I cannot find any manufacturer that lists the specific weight. Its kinda funny....every now and then people would ask about the specific weight in the questions section and reference them being used for hiking....the most common response "oh they are extremely lightweight." They must not know how anal we are about ounces ! Couple features I am looking for: 7" inseam, no liner, and pockets without zippers. Anyone use something like that and could provide the specific brand/model and weight? Please and thank you in advance! Cheers.

I got a generic pair of nylon shorts from Patagonia which weigh 3.2 oz. That's light enough for me, even with the liner, which I think is important to have.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Registered User Nolan "Guido" Jordan's Avatar

Sorry that I can't name anything in specific. I would just go to Walmart or some sporting goods store, and I'm sure you'll find something.

Hit the stores, with a kitchen/postal scale in hand.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I got a generic pair of nylon shorts from Patagonia which weigh 3.2 oz. That's light enough for me, even with the liner, which I think is important to have.
    What’s the inseam?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    What’s the inseam?
    I don't know, about mid thigh on me and I'm 6' I was more interested in waist size
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I had the same problem finding a pair of good running shorts with a few pockets. I found these on Amazon. Plenty of pockets, no zippers (Velcro instead), a 6" inseam, which I liked better than 7" (the inseam description on Amazon is wrong), relatively lightweight and no liner. I just weighed them and they came in at 6.1 ounces.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Hit the stores, with a kitchen/postal scale in hand.
    +1 - I have found large retailers like Amazon and Walmart are not necessarily all that accurate with merchandise descriptions including size and weights so bringing a small scale along makes good sense. What you CAN get at Amazon is a small electronic scale suitable to weigh all kinds of things in a store, which is what I do when I have a specific gear need. For what its worth, I have found running shorts (with liners) from big retailers don't seem to work as well for me as those I get from more specialized retailers like REI or EMS, etc. While a little more expensive, these products tend to behave better and are more comfortable than what I've purchased at general merchandise retailers, which seem designed for an hour or so run or casual use as opposed to the rigors of daily trail hiking.

Journal Entries

Target. All nice. on sale. They scootch on rocks w no tearing, dry fast.Look nice. only two colors: black and pretty grey.

Thanks to everyone for the input. As always.....a great group with great suggestions/recommendations.

If you find something that fits all the parameters but is lined, it's easy enough to cut out the liners yourself. I did that with some REI shorts, no problem.

Walmart. Faded Glory label. Polyester. Liner. 7“ish inseam. Actually sold as swimwear. 5.5 - 5.7 ounces. More or less. About $10 or less a couple years ago.
    My favorite camp shorts (I hike in long pants for sun protection) are ancient, real running shorts from Tinley or Saucony. About 3.5 ounces.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by beefsmack View Post
    This should not be that difficult, but i'm struggling to find some running shorts to take on an upcoming section hike. I figured I would head to Amazon and have something on the way in no time! Unfortunately, I cannot find any manufacturer that lists the specific weight. Its kinda funny....every now and then people would ask about the specific weight in the questions section and reference them being used for hiking....the most common response "oh they are extremely lightweight." They must not know how anal we are about ounces ! Couple features I am looking for: 7" inseam, no liner, and pockets without zippers. Anyone use something like that and could provide the specific brand/model and weight? Please and thank you in advance! Cheers.
    Bricks and mortar sources actually allow you to touch and feel the products. My understanding is that Louisville is significantly sized community with modern conveniences. I suspect you could find an acceptable pair of shorts somewhere near your home.

Good Luck with your search

I’ve had two pairs of running shorts from target that have lasted 3 years (longer than I expected)

Quote Originally Posted by beefsmack View Post
    I'm wearing a pair of such shorts right now and they're my standard backpacking shorts---drawstring waist, absolutely no belt or belt loops, two side pockets, no liner. They are North Face Reactor shorts---

69505-p1.jpg

https://www.doddsshoe.com/north-face...iABEgJfdPD_BwE

Leonidas

I use the UA Launch 5" inseam shorts. They make them in 5,7 and maybe 9" inseams. They have a liner but you can cut it out. They have generously sized pockets as well.
    5" inseam in a medium weigh 120 grams.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Patagonia strider pro fits all your requirements and is my go-to run and hike short

Quote Originally Posted by centerfieldr162 View Post
    Patagonia strider pro fits all your requirements and is my go-to run and hike short
    Running shorts like the Strider Pro are good for running I guess but would not work for backpacking---and the OP mentioned pulling a section hike, i.e. backpacking I presume.

Why? The placement of the pockets weirdly about the waist. I need side pockets down the left and right thigh. My pack's hipbelt would kill whatever's in the Strider's pockets. Especially a cell phone in the back!!

compression shorts are good for avoiding chaffing.

++ New Posts ++