WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Camera Mounts

Images

Default Camera Mounts

I have used a Monopod with a camera mount(1/4" screw) on it, but I now use blackdaimond trekking poles that do not have such an option. Any thought or Ideas on how to rig a camera to the top of one of my trekking poles??

Don't think it will mount on the top of a pole, but check out the Stick Pic for mounting cameras on the bottom of a pole. I love them for self pics.

http://www.thestickpic.com/
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

http://joby.com/gorillapod/

Not the lightest option, but very versatile. Wrap them around sign posts, tree branches, shelter supports, and, of course, your trekking poles. For group pictures at shelters they work well as a small tripod when placed on a picnic table.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I just ordered one of these. Good and light and gets the job done.http://www.geartrade.com/item/211831

Images

I know you said that you use Black Diamond poles, but since this is in the homemade gear forum, I figured you can use it as inspiration. LEKI has an adaptor kit to add threaded camera mount screws to the top of one of the poles. The best shot I can find of it is here. It might give you an idea of how to do something similar for your pole if you're looking for a DIY solution. From what I can gather, the LEKI mount replaces the top part of the handle with a threaded hole to receive the piece in the bottom of the picture, which ultimately allows the camera to attach on top. You can take the camera (and the adapter) off, then put a piece of rubber over the hole to make the top of the handle as seamless as possible.

I haven't really tried one of the kits before, because I can't justify spending that kind of money. But seems like a very plausible concept to do on your own. Drill a threaded hole the same size as whatever screws into the bottom of the camera, buy a short section of screw that length, and when you want to mount the camera, screw it into the pole, then the camera onto that?

Get you a 1/4 - 20 blind nut from Lowes or such. Get a wood bit the same diameter as outside of the blind nut. Drill a hole, first to take the center of the blind nut, then with the wood bit to take the outside of the blind nut, deep enough to have the blind nut fit flush. Epoxy the blind nut into the handle of pole.

Go to the Ram Mount site and get two RAM-A-237U, .56" ball by 1/4 - 20 and one RAM-A-201U, 1.75 arm. Screw on ball into blind nut and other into camera. You will have a mount that will shoot vertical, horizontal or anything in between.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by carpattack View Post
    I just ordered one of these. Good and light and gets the job done.http://www.geartrade.com/item/211831
    That looks awesome, thanks
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Here is an older way that people have been using since the 90's. Any of the small ultrapods made by pedco that have the velcro wrap on them designed for mounting to branches or fence posts. You just wrap the velcro around the handle of your pole so the screw sticks above it.

I would also suggest the Ultrapod because it isn't on the way when you don't need it and of course it is a mini tripod so it can be used to include yourself in the shot and improve picture quality on long exposures (IE low light)
    Here is a shot with that (60 sec) :

moonNlights.jpg
    BTW, yes you can put the camera on top of something as long as that something points to the right spot. A lot easier to do with a ball head.
    Not that many compacts have long exposure but anything slower than 1/60th can benefit from using a tripod.
    There several sizes to take the larger cameras too.
    Franco

Images

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Get you a 1/4 - 20 blind nut from Lowes or such. Get a wood bit the same diameter as outside of the blind nut. Drill a hole, first to take the center of the blind nut, then with the wood bit to take the outside of the blind nut, deep enough to have the blind nut fit flush. Epoxy the blind nut into the handle of pole.

Go to the Ram Mount site and get two RAM-A-237U, .56" ball by 1/4 - 20 and one RAM-A-201U, 1.75 arm. Screw on ball into blind nut and other into camera. You will have a mount that will shoot vertical, horizontal or anything in between.
    That sounds great!! Any pics?

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Don't think it will mount on the top of a pole, but check out the Stick Pic for mounting cameras on the bottom of a pole. I love them for self pics.

http://www.thestickpic.com/
    I just ordered one of these. it looks pretty awesome, i'll be using it on my nobo thru hike this year.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I have an older pair of BD Trail Trekking poles that are pretty hefty. I saw the GG LT4S Trekking Poles with straps were much lighter, and the straps attach to the handles with a screw on top. They sell a camera adapter that screws in. I was hesitant to push the button at $175, and the $22 shipping put me into the shock & denial phase of my seven stages of a major cash outlay. I got through pain and denial, and am working on anger and bargaining ...
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChillyWilly View Post
    I have an older pair of BD Trail Trekking poles that are pretty hefty. I saw the GG LT4S Trekking Poles with straps were much lighter, and the straps attach to the handles with a screw on top. They sell a camera adapter that screws in. I was hesitant to push the button at $175, and the $22 shipping put me into the shock & denial phase of my seven stages of a major cash outlay. I got through pain and denial, and am working on anger and bargaining ...
    Your knees should take care of the bargaining for you.

http://www.industrialrev.com/ultrapod-mini.html

I like this one (hard to lose in the yellow-orange [blaze] color). I might just get one. It would match most of my outfits.

[/URL]
    Last edited by Tinker; 02-03-2012 at 17:35.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Got one from the dollar store,It's made very cheap and It's cheap $1.00 I don't expect this to last very long but served it's purpose at the time.

Default Polepod

polepod2.jpgpolepod3.jpgpolepod.jpg

These are pictures of the Polepod. Which is a molded cap that pops onto the head of Black Diamond poles. Polepod mounts for the BD Trail Compact styles are available. Other models like the BD Contour would be custom.
    Check out http://www.polepod.net/

Journal Entries
    Images

Yea stick pic or drill it you remove the hand strap and insert the aluminum screw up from the bottom.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I also have an UltraPod Mini. I love it and have been using one since at least '95, think I'm on my second one. However, for me at least it does not attach securely to a smooth hiking pole, does OK if you don't move it too much. I've taken plenty of pics with it on every thing from tree branches to fence posts, and it's great for standing on a rock or table top, but it tends to slide easily on a smooth surface like a pole.
    tripod open.JPGtripod closed.JPG
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Ultrapod.jpg
    how about this way ?

++ New Posts ++