WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    I got sick of people asking me: Who is John Galt? Despite my name not being spelled the same.

But more importantly I saw that some actually defined me (my politics) as an extreme righty, as well as an Ayn Rand fan. I see this big time on another site (bike forum), which I joined around the same time as this one, but they are much more liberal on their allowance of political rant on that site, so I get it a lot. Been meaning to change my name there as well, just haven't gotten around to it, because I don't post nearly as much there (or anywhere) as I do here; I have well less than a thousand posts in over 7 years.

I've even received PM's about my "screwed up" hate-spewing political leanings, of course the impression was way off. It does kind of give one an insight into how easy it is to misdirect people.
    And all this time I thought you were just some pedaling fool .
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

I got sick of people asking me: Who is John Galt? Despite my name not being spelled the same.

But more importantly I saw that some actually defined me (my politics) as an extreme righty, as well as an Ayn Rand fan. I see this big time on another site (bike forum), which I joined around the same time as this one, but they are much more liberal on their allowance of political rant on that site, so I get it a lot. Been meaning to change my name there as well, just haven't gotten around to it, because I don't post nearly as much there (or anywhere) as I do here; I have well less than a thousand posts in over 7 years.

I've even received PM's about my "screwed up" hate-spewing political leanings, of course the impression was way off. It does kind of give one an insight into how easy it is to misdirect people.
    Ha ha!! I figured it out right away... I looked at ur profile page, I cheated. Thanks for the Furlough!

Milk Baby.... I love it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shmaybix View Post

Milk Baby.... I love it!!
    It's true. That's what it was for a long time. My ex-wife gave it to me. Then it just evolved into milkman over time. A lot of my friends still call me milk baby on hikes. Either one works for me.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Yeah, i had assumed that John Gault was a literary reference for the first couple of years i was in this site, it didnt help that there was another member named John Galt, so it was easy enough to assume that you had used an alternate spelling of the name because Galt was already taken.

The funny thing is that I have only read a few pages of Atlas Shrugged, i tried to read it a decade ago but i couldnt get into it because i didnt like Ayn Rand's writing style. As a result i knew the main character's name, but had no clue about the book's political message until years later when a friend explained it to me while discussing an election. So when I first saw your old name on this site i didnt judge you by it.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries
    Images

I got sick of people asking me: Who is John Galt? Despite my name not being spelled the .
    I recall being very impressed with this new poster named Pedaling Fool.

Took me a while to figure out why.

You are right about how a nom de plum can paint an inaccurate image though. When I was trying to figure that all out I clicked on your profile for the first time. Never in my wildest imagination would I have guessed that a "John Gault" or "Peddaling Fool" would have spent so much time shooting guns. Big (BIG!) guns. Seriously, that was cool to learn and adds yet another dimension when I click on your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    I recall being very impressed with this new poster named Pedaling Fool.

Took me a while to figure out why.

You are right about how a nom de plum can paint an inaccurate image though. When I was trying to figure that all out I clicked on your profile for the first time. Never in my wildest imagination would I have guessed that a "John Gault" or "Peddaling Fool" would have spent so much time shooting guns. Big (BIG!) guns. Seriously, that was cool to learn and adds yet another dimension when I click on your posts.
    It was the Kumba Fuc in ya that did it for me...coupled with a few "your all a bunch of Morons" and I was glad to have him back!

I was "One Sock" for about ten mins, an experiment in futility I suppose.

I can not understand the amount of energy folks spent quitting WB re-joining WB quitting WB rejoining WB quitting WB and rejoining WB then changing screen names and hollering look at me look at me look at me.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

like the Hotel California

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I used to be myself, but now I'm another Kevin.

And (Teacher's efforts notwithstanding) I don't use a trail name at the moment. "Another Kevin" is my screen name in a bunch of places. I had a trail name nearly forty years ago, but it doesn't fit me now any better than the clothes I had then would.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    like the Hotel California

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
    That's soo true in more than one way. :>)

I'll speak for myself. I came on this site with a certain expectations. They were blown away right from the start. When I could NOT completely log off this site-remove my profile etc.. that is a real reason for keeping me here.

The thing that keeps me here are the real true friendships I have made here. I can't interact with everyone other than here on WB. I miss my friends terrible. I love to laugh & this site makes me laugh all the time.

I like it when people like you. It feels good. So there's that...

Quote Originally Posted by Shmaybix View Post
    That's soo true in more than one way. :>)

I'll speak for myself. I came on this site with a certain expectations. They were blown away right from the start. When I could NOT completely log off this site-remove my profile etc.. that is a real reason for keeping me here.

The thing that keeps me here are the real true friendships I have made here. I can't interact with everyone other than here on WB. I miss my friends terrible. I love to laugh & this site makes me laugh all the time.

I like it when people like you. It feels good. So there's that...
    Me too...

I don't think changing one's username is quitting and then rejoining, no matter how often. I liken it to rearranging the furniture in the living room....that is all.

same goes for galleries, out with the old, in with the new, and maybe back again.
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 11-09-2013 at 12:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    I used to be myself, but now I'm another Kevin.

And (Teacher's efforts notwithstanding) I don't use a trail name at the moment. "Another Kevin" is my screen name in a bunch of places. I had a trail name nearly forty years ago, but it doesn't fit me now any better than the clothes I had then would.
    Let me guess. Was it "slim"?

For some reason I thot one could not have 2 different names. For example, if you were CAIN and wanted to be ABLE you had to request a name change to ABLE. You could not just stop using CAIN and create a new account ABLE. Turns out I was wrong. I just read the TOS and the only time this is referenced is that if CAIN was on moderated status you could not create ABLE in order to bypass the moderated status. Or maybe I just misread the TOS.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

I used to be Shi'thead (pronounced Sha-teed)
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    I have got a feeling you and I got the same incentive to behave and do right when we were coming up. Also believe example trumps encouragement and incentive every time.
    On the other hand, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. It helps to recognize kids. I've known more than a few who've wound up getting into trouble because of an abiding sense that "my best will never be good enough." Eventually in adolescence or young adulthood, they break, say "(expletive deleted) it all," and stop trying. And this disproportionately happens to the best and brightest among them.

As a Scout, I had some number of badges. I didn't ordinarily wear them. I'd put on the sash for courts of honor (mine or others'), or if I was guarding the Colors at a game or something. Wearing it was kind of like putting on a necktie. And I never saw them as that much of an honor, more as a gauge of expected progress. In a large and regimented group, you need some sort of way to track such things.

If I ever earn something like the Adirondack 46 or Catskill 3500 badge, I might put it on my pack (or on a jacket or something). Not as a badge of pride, more to remind me of all the fun I had getting there.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I've been Kerosene since my college days and have kept it since joining WhiteBlaze (actually the predecessor to WB). Guess that makes me a pretty stable person, right?!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    I've been Kerosene since my college days and have kept it since joining WhiteBlaze (actually the predecessor to WB). Guess that makes me a pretty stable person, right?!

...sounds like your too cheap to buy a new headlamp!.....................

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Ha Ha!! Kerosene- you are rock steady... always loved ur avatar! I wish I could carry that lantern like coach Lou carries cheesecake on the trail.

I'm lucky....I don't have a prob. keeping my personal real life relationships stable but this internet forum stuff... not so much!

Journal Entries
    Images

Where is your avatar?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Where is your avatar?
    Ahhh... it got skeered and ran away?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++